• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Wings interested in Garrison

Rate this topic

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/red_wings_gm_ken_holland_tells_waddell_that_he_knows_his_team_must_reloadfastand_avoid_a_rebuild/10940675

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but garrison would be a very good pickup. The story says he is a RH shot, but everywhere else he is listed as a LH shot. But still, 6-2/220 Dman that can score 15+ goals a year at 27 years old, works for me. leaves money on the table for additional moves as well.

I would entertain this signing to fill Stuart's spot and provide a little oomph on the powerplay. We really do need RH shots and if we can pull Suter from Nashville, it would be a solid situation to find ourselves in:

Suter - Kronwall

Smith - Garrison

Ericsson - White

Kindl

Trade Quincey's negotiating rights to New Jersey for Parise's negotiating rights... boom.

This would be a really solid move for the Wings. Spent almost 2 months of the season down in Florida for work, so I caught quite a few panther games. And all I can say is I was really impressed with what I saw on a nightly basis. He has a pretty hard shot at the point, likes to get involved with the offense, yet seems to be defensively sound. Plus he's young, and presumably we can sign him for a reasonable price.

This would be a really solid move for the Wings. Spent almost 2 months of the season down in Florida for work, so I caught quite a few panther games. And all I can say is I was really impressed with what I saw on a nightly basis. He has a pretty hard shot at the point, likes to get involved with the offense, yet seems to be defensively sound. Plus he's young, and presumably we can sign him for a reasonable price.

Heck yeah, solid right handed shooting defenseman who can play defense and seems decently tough? Sold.

Well from reading the Holland comments all I got to say is :w00t2:

Of course I do not like the idea of re-signing Quincey, but whatever, so long it is not over $3.5M...

:w00t2: again at Hudler parting ways! He may be worth $5M in Ottawa, but he isn't here. So long traitor! I have hated you since you held us hostage then bolted to Russia!

I am on the fence about Brunnstrom re-signing, I will be a bit upset to lose Conner and Janik, but they never really got a shot here and I am sure they'd rather be in the NHL somewhere rather than GR.

I love the "need for a top 6, 4th line big man, top pair defenseman, tough defenseman, NHL level backup goalie" Exactly what we need! I hope he gets them! Also, VERY intrigue over him saying he WILL make a deal at the draft for negotiating rights to UFA's if the price is right! And they will be making the UFA decisions within 10-15 mins on the 1st!

Tighten that belt one more hole guys and hold on! Other than winning the Cup, this is the most exciting time of the year for me!!! (along with the trade deadline)

I played against him a few times when he was on the Nanaimo Clippers back in 2003-2004 ... he was their best dman by a mile and they were perrenially one of the top Jr A programs in Canada but I NEVER would have pictured him at this level. Kudos to him for sticking it out, what a late bloomer story. Id be pumped to get him on the Wings but apparently he has his eye on Vancouver(hometown) if he doesn't resign with FLA.

I wouldn't mind him. I haven't seen to much of his play, but owning him on my fantasy team and somewhat paying attention to him and following him, he seems decent. Definitely an offensive minded guy in my opinion but as long as we could nab Suter as well Garrison would be a solid fit!

I played against him a few times when he was on the Nanaimo Clippers back in 2003-2004 ... he was their best dman by a mile and they were perrenially one of the top Jr A programs in Canada but I NEVER would have pictured him at this level. Kudos to him for sticking it out, what a late bloomer story. Id be pumped to get him on the Wings but apparently he has his eye on Vancouver(hometown) if he doesn't resign with FLA.

Source?

Hmmmm..... I think I'd rather have Schultz at this point just because he has a higher ceiling for the future and has a right shot. For me, I'd rather go through some growing pains with smith and schultz this season than be continuously "okay" on defence. Might as well go through the potty training with these kids and have them around for the long term future. Wouldn't cost as much to get Schultz either.

Hmmmm..... I think I'd rather have Schultz at this point just because he has a higher ceiling for the future and has a right shot. For me, I'd rather go through some growing pains with smith and schultz this season than be continuously "okay" on defence. Might as well go through the potty training with these kids and have them around for the long term future. Wouldn't cost as much to get Schultz either.

For sure, I think if Holland gets Schultz a lot of folks will be surprised at how good he and Smith will play together...as long as Holland signs him for Detroit...Quincey must go though for that to happen...

For sure, I think if Holland gets Schultz a lot of folks will be surprised at how good he and Smith will play together...as long as Holland signs him for Detroit...Quincey must go though for that to happen...

hell ya, i totally agree. I want Quincey gone no matter what. He just sends bad vibes through the d. I can see so many people praising our young d for the future if we got smith and schultz together.

When i joined this forum a month ago, i said right up front that i thought the Wings needed to find 8-10 new players over the next 2 off seasons. well Holland is now publicly talking about adding 5 new guys this year alone. That is the public comments. private could be even higher. The next year we could have another 4-5 openings. White, Cleary, Filppula, and Howard are all UFA's next season. Howard of course will/should be back. Same with Fillppula. others can go if we upgrade. But bringing things back to this offseason. There are only 2 real openings on the team currently. As of today we have the following forwards: Dat, Z, Franzen, Burt, Filppula, Abby, Helm, Cleary, Emmerton, maursk, Miller, Eaves, and Nyquist. That is 13 total. On D we have: Kronwall, Quincey, E, White, Smith, and Kindl. That is 6. At G we have Howard and McDonald. That is 2. So as of today, we are 1 forward short and 1 Dman short. This is where things get interesting. Holland is talking a top 6 forward, a bottom 6 forward, an offensive Dman, a solid tough Dman, and a backup goalie. We are not going to sign 5 UFA's. So who goes and who stays? Well 3 gus have no trade clauses per capgeek: dat, E, and Burt. So we know they will be here. But past that, we can see hundreds of possible options. from the really good to the really bad. we also have money to spend. 25 million right now. depending on trades made that could go up or down.

Now some opinions. I know you all could hardly wait......LOL

I expect 2 of the 5 moves that Holland is talking about coming via FA. Top D and backup G. There are several options at each of those spots. For a high scoring forward there is only one real option, that is Parise. But what if we don't get him? Do we have the pieces to trade and get a high scoring forward? Not sure on that, without moving another major piece and creating another hole. But this is were Holland will make or break this offseason. There are several very good young forwards that are in the last season of their contracts. Clarkson, Perry, Staal, Getzlev (spelling), Horton if healthy, Purcell, etc........ Many possible options can come to mind, but all costs a lot to make happen. Like I said, going to be very interesting......

I wouldn't mind him. I haven't seen to much of his play, but owning him on my fantasy team and somewhat paying attention to him and following him, he seems decent. Definitely an offensive minded guy in my opinion but as long as we could nab Suter as well Garrison would be a solid fit!

Source?

I seem to remember he did an interview on the team 1040 (Vancouver sport station) a while back and was asked about being a Canuck someday - said he was a fan growing up and would be honored considering how elite they are right now but that he was very happy with Florida, their core, they gave him his start etc and is 100% focused on being a panther for the time being. Just saying, the Canucks will be fighting for him as hard as anyone if hes a UFA on July 1st.

If its any consellation he sounded allot warmer to the idea of playing in Vancouver than Shea Weber did a few weeks ago.

Here is a source on that Garrison to Vancouver rumor Link

I think he's a great defenceman but I think given the circumstances this off season he'll end up being over-paid by someone.

There is a lot of concern about a bidding war for Suter/Parise but the real bidding wars start when they put pen to paper. Once they are signed everyone who missed out starts spending like drunken sailor trying to sign their #2 and 3 options.

I think he's a great defenceman but I think given the circumstances this off season he'll end up being over-paid by someone.

There is a lot of concern about a bidding war for Suter/Parise but the real bidding wars start when they put pen to paper. Once they are signed everyone who missed out starts spending like drunken sailor trying to sign their #2 and 3 options.

Could be. Might make some sense to skip those 2 and sign the next 4 best at the same total money instead. Just a thought.....

:thumbup:

One thing i have against this is that suter doesnt have a long list. He wants to live close to home and he isnt a city boy. He wants space. You cant have a bidding war thats asinine with a small list. Secondly, Parise wants a contender and he wants a cup. I know hes there right now but it doesnt seem likely they will dig themselves out of it. Which brings up the next point, how many real contenders are there every year that ha e the cap space to unload on him? I think people expect this giant bidding war but personally i see it going down quite smoothly. Both players want a home that will contend, one wants to be close to home. There isnt a laundry list of teams that can stand in that bidding war.

One thing i have against this is that suter doesnt have a long list. He wants to live close to home and he isnt a city boy. He wants space. You cant have a bidding war thats asinine with a small list. Secondly, Parise wants a contender and he wants a cup. I know hes there right now but it doesnt seem likely they will dig themselves out of it. Which brings up the next point, how many real contenders are there every year that ha e the cap space to unload on him? I think people expect this giant bidding war but personally i see it going down quite smoothly. Both players want a home that will contend, one wants to be close to home. There isnt a laundry list of teams that can stand in that bidding war.

Thats pretty much what I said.

I don't see there being a bidding war for Suter/Parise either, I think the bidding war will be over whoever is left after they sign.

I agree. I see both those guys taking the contract/situation that is the best fit not necessarily the most lucrative.