IPB Image

#22 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Here is a source on that Garrison to Vancouver rumor Link

I think he's a great defenceman but I think given the circumstances this off season he'll end up being over-paid by someone.

There is a lot of concern about a bidding war for Suter/Parise but the real bidding wars start when they put pen to paper. Once they are signed everyone who missed out starts spending like drunken sailor trying to sign their #2 and 3 options.

One thing i have against this is that suter doesnt have a long list. He wants to live close to home and he isnt a city boy. He wants space. You cant have a bidding war thats asinine with a small list. Secondly, Parise wants a contender and he wants a cup. I know hes there right now but it doesnt seem likely they will dig themselves out of it. Which brings up the next point, how many real contenders are there every year that ha e the cap space to unload on him? I think people expect this giant bidding war but personally i see it going down quite smoothly. Both players want a home that will contend, one wants to be close to home. There isnt a laundry list of teams that can stand in that bidding war.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#23 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

One thing i have against this is that suter doesnt have a long list. He wants to live close to home and he isnt a city boy. He wants space. You cant have a bidding war thats asinine with a small list. Secondly, Parise wants a contender and he wants a cup. I know hes there right now but it doesnt seem likely they will dig themselves out of it. Which brings up the next point, how many real contenders are there every year that ha e the cap space to unload on him? I think people expect this giant bidding war but personally i see it going down quite smoothly. Both players want a home that will contend, one wants to be close to home. There isnt a laundry list of teams that can stand in that bidding war.

Thats pretty much what I said.

I don't see there being a bidding war for Suter/Parise either, I think the bidding war will be over whoever is left after they sign.

#24 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

I agree. I see both those guys taking the contract/situation that is the best fit not necessarily the most lucrative.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#25 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Mmkay?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#26 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

There are 23 teams with 15+ million to spend. true some are bottom dwellers, some are not. I think the biggest team to watch out for with Suter is going to be the Blackhawks. They have 22 on their roster, and 9 million to spend. They could well be in a 1 player frame of mind. If the BH go to 8 million for Suter do we really want that much tied up in him?

#27 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

There are 23 teams with 15+ million to spend. true some are bottom dwellers, some are not. I think the biggest team to watch out for with Suter is going to be the Blackhawks. They have 22 on their roster, and 9 million to spend. They could well be in a 1 player frame of mind. If the BH go to 8 million for Suter do we really want that much tied up in him?

I personally would not want to spend $8M/yr on Suter. That being said, I think it's more likely that that happens than the Wings going with inexperience.

I agree with the Chicago thing though. That's why I was so surprised to see they signed Johnny Oduya to a 3 year deal with a NTC. But maybe they figured they wanted a D line up of:

Keith - Seabrook
Suter - Hjarlmarsson
Leddy - Oduya

But at this point you've got to think they'd want to upgrade Crawford. But maybe Bowman doesn't

Edited by mmamolo, 06 June 2012 - 01:08 PM.

Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Anybody have a legitimate scouting report on Garrison? I've never really seen him play too much and I don't really want to base my opinion off of nothing.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'd definetly consider signing him under the right conditions!!

#30 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

I personally would not want to spend $8M/yr on Suter. That being said, I think it's more likely that that happens than the Wings going with inexperience.

I agree with the Chicago thing though. That's why I was so surprised to see they signed Johnny Oduya to a 3 year deal with a NTC. But maybe they figured they wanted a D line up of:

Keith - Seabrook
Suter - Hjarlmarsson
Leddy - Oduya

But at this point you've got to think they'd want to upgrade Crawford. But maybe Bowman doesn't

There are some other options to be signed. But going home to Chi-town is going to be a draw.

#31 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

If hell freezes over and we miss out on Suter, Garrison would be nice. Canadian, Lidstrom like bomb from the point and grows a good beard so he'd fit in on the Wings :thumbup:

#NOMOREKINDL

#32 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

My only concern is that he is 27 and just showed up on the radar this year, in a contract year. I sure would hate signing another Jeff Finger.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#33 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

My only concern is that he is 27 and just showed up on the radar this year, in a contract year. I sure would hate signing another Jeff Finger.

These are the years most players do their best. 27-32. he is just entering his prime. His shot from the point is no joke. very heavy shot. Skates well and plays physical. if he was in fact RHed i would want him over Suter. But being LHed, he is just a shade behind. But pretty close. The length of their tracks records is the only real difference.

#34 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

The last major rebuild following the lockout saw Holland doing things one way. He brought in a ton of players that did not reach their potential in other places, were overlooked, or were specific player types and some didn't make the cut but the entire team was shook up by players who fought for time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Garrison be added in addition to Schultz and others. Lilja, Sammuelson, Cleary were all those types of players... the team also let young players come in that didn't crack the roster as much.

I still think this will be the major way of the rebuild. He will go after Parise and Suter... maybe even try to make a blockbuster... this doesn't mean it will be a given. I think they are prepared to take a few more steps back than we would like to make sure the team stays on their tracks. It won't make me happy, but then again, there is very little that I really want to add to the team that would fix it that doesn't require a trade.

I am more upset that we didn't make more moves with Lids on the team.

I wanted Willie, Anze, Brown, Carter, Richards all when they were available but none were obtainable with the exception of Willie and they are playing so well now. Although it would help if we drafted Quick... My point is we have the will, but it is going to take several shrewd moves to improve and a few years. I think we all have to realize it is going to get ugly before it gets better, but competition won't be the worst... unless we give up on the wrong person then GO TRADE FOR HIM LATER!!!! I blame Quincey for everything :P Maybe I should make that Meech.

Personally, with all I have read so far... I am hoping Nill takes over next season and the team moves in a different direction, preferably one that involves at least one new offensively minded coach who can get more of a puck hound game going...

Anyways... tangent? I say if we miss out on either Parise or Suter... we should add as many bodies as possible and relegate the losers to the AHL where contracts don't matter. Get ready for the next wave and maybe get one more before the Euro Twins era ends the same way the Lidstrom era ended, and the Yzerman before that...
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#35 MrBest7

MrBest7

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

Here is a video of Jason Garrison

#36 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts