• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

Jagr staying in Philadelphia?

Rate this topic

After the rumors of Jagr wanting to sign somewhere else this year it looks as if he's changed his mind and is close to staying with the Flyers for another season.

Here's the link.

The agent of Jaromir Jagr, Petr Svoboda, has revealed that he is working on a contract extension with the Philadelphia Flyers, according to Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly.

The Flyers are reportedly working on bringing back the 40-year old forward on a one-year deal for next season.

While the veteran had first expressed some concerns about re-signing in Philadelphia, Svoboda maintains that Jagr has had a change of heart in whatever impression he felt last month.

"I've talked to Jaromir and I have talked to Paul [Holmgren] and we hope to get something done before the draft," Svoboda told CSN.

Jagr, who was bothered by some nagging groin and leg injuries this past season, recorded 19 goals and 35 assists for 54 points in 73 games.

Meanwhile, Svoboda added that he feels confident about pending restricted free agent Jakub Voracek, who should be re-signed without incident close to the NHL Draft.

I wonder what is is that changed his mind in staying with Philly? I also wonder why he wanted to sign somewhere else in the first place... seemed like he was having a lot of fun this year, and did well with the team considering his age and roll on the team.

*EDIT* Mod's if you could add a "?" to the topic title since its a little misleading, please and thanks!

Edited by Hockey13Playa

54 points in 73 games.

That's better than a few younger Red Wing roster players who are making considerably more than him.

He would have been 5th in points on our team and only 15 points short of our leading scorer. That's actually kinda sad.

54 points in 73 games.

That's better than a few younger Red Wing roster players who are making considerably more than him.

Like who?

The only Wings forwards making more money than Jagr are Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen all of which out scored him this year.

I know it's splitting hairs, but Hudler (50 points) and Cleary (33 points) made 3 mil. Close enough for me. To say he would not have been a productive Wing is not fair. May not want him, but I think he would have done well on Datsyuk's wing.

After the rumors of Jagr wanting to sign somewhere else this year it looks as if he's changed his mind and is close to staying with the Flyers for another season.

Here's the link.

I wonder what is is that changed his mind in staying with Philly? I also wonder why he wanted to sign somewhere else in the first place... seemed like he was having a lot of fun this year, and did well with the team considering his age and roll on the team.

*EDIT* Mod's if you could add a "?" to the topic title since its a little misleading, please and thanks!

I'm not sure what it is that makes you think he was looking to sign elsewhere. He was quoted as saying this past season with Philly was one of the most enjoyable he's ever had.

54 points in 73 games.

He would have been 5th in points on our team and only 15 points short of our leading scorer. That's actually kinda sad.

No young forward on our team is making considerably more than him.

And his numbers have a lot to do with playing on Claude Giroux's wing.

Jagr would have been great to have. I don't understand these "wouldn't want him anyway" comments

I do. Do the words grit, character and backcheck mean anything to you?

Well change of plans for the crazy old bat once again. Looks like he is going to test the market.

aromir Jagr plans on testing free agent market

From all indications this past season Jaromir Jagr enjoyed his time playing for the Philadelphia Flyers.

He returned to the NHL and showed he still had enough to play in the best league in the world at age 40. Granted, it was the lowest point total of his NHL career, but that's saying something when that total was 54 points.

Still, it looks like he isn't sold on Philadelphia being the city for him going forward in his NHL career, which Jagr seems to think could still have a few more seasons left in it. It could also mean that we're on the threshold of another ridiculous free agency courtship like the one that Jagr went through last summer when he made his return to the league after a three-year stop in the KHL.

From TSN's Darren Dreger:

Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.

18 Jun 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

It was just a couple of weeks ago that Jagr's agent, Petr Svoboda, said that he hoped to have a new deal worked out with the Flyers before the draft.

"I've talked to Jaromir and I have talked to Paul [Holmgren] and we hope to get something done before the draft,” Svoboda told CSN Philadelphia's Tim Panaccio.

The draft is this upcoming weekend, and it's looking like that isn't going to happen.

As always seems to be the case with Jagr, he's apparently changed his mind. Again. And who knows how many more times it will happen over the next few weeks or what this summer of #jagrwatch will bring to the table.

It's entirely possible that a return to Philadelphia could still happen, but the Flyers are going to have some competition if they still want to retain his services. The question is how much competition?

The two teams that seemed to show the most interest last offseason (before the Flyers surprisingly jumped into the bidding) were the Detroit Red Wings and Jagr's original team, the Pittsburgh Penguins. The courtship between the latter two was, well ... it was more like a soap opera than anything else and contained so much drama and so many burned bridges that we would be pretty surprised (shocked, even) if there turned out to be any interest at all from Pittsburgh.

Considering he put up 50+ points I wouldn't mind him on a one year deal at no more then 1.5 million. But then again looking at the younger guys and some of the other free agents we could spend money on its like ehhhh, no thanks.

Like stated above, he has never played in the West. I don't think he would make the switch now; But then again he was rumored to come here last off season. Maybe finish out his career with the Penguins? Might make Mario all warm and fuzzy.