• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

You can disagree all you want, but that doesn't change the fact it is true. Franzen gets hot for 15-25 games every year and score 50% or more of his goals in that time frame. the rest of the year he just floats around the ice like he doesn't even care. yes when hot he is one of the best around. But on the other hand, this a guy who after 8 + seasons has never had a single 60 point season. What was he lat=st year? 96th overall in scoring IIRC. I understand that scoring comes and goes. Most scorers are streaky. But that does not excuse the lake of hustle, skating hard, checking, and playing D the rest of the time. When hot Franzen does all of thsoe things. When he isn't he does none of them.

Franzen was actually 69th in scoring and he only scored 1 point less than Ryan despite playing 5 games less and getting less ice-time per game. You would probably feel the same way about Ryan if he played on your team but he doesn't and the grass is greener on the other side

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

You can disagree all you want, but that doesn't change the fact it is true. Franzen gets hot for 15-25 games every year and score 50% or more of his goals in that time frame. the rest of the year he just floats around the ice like he doesn't even care. yes when hot he is one of the best around. But on the other hand, this a guy who after 8 + seasons has never had a single 60 point season. What was he lat=st year? 96th overall in scoring IIRC. I understand that scoring comes and goes. Most scorers are streaky. But that does not excuse the lake of hustle, skating hard, checking, and playing D the rest of the time. When hot Franzen does all of thsoe things. When he isn't he does none of them.

Listen, it's no secret I do not like Franzen...you point out he has never topped 60 points. Considering his cap hit of $3.9M, 60 points is on point for that salary. BUT, Franzen, for some reason, is always consider our BEST scorer, our sniper, our go to guy. He is not. He is a 2nd or 3rd line center benefiting by playing with IMO the best player in the NHL in Datsyuk. If I can accept Franzen for what he is, then you can too.

The problem is, he is expected to be all I described because we don't have any of those...We don't have a BEST scorer on the team, or a sniper or the go to guy. Datsyuk is the go to guy, but mostly for making plays, he needs the #1 Sniper/Scorer/Go To Guy to score the goals... If playing with Datsyuk, Franzen still cannot top 60 points, there is no way he should be even considered as a #1 scorer here and at $3.9M, he shouldn't be by any of us...

Is he lazy? Yes...is the contract too long? Yes...Would I still shop him around? Absolutely! But if Holland gets his #1 man to play with Datsyuk and pop in 40-50 goals, Franzen can go back to being secondary scoring and when he nets his 50-60 points, nobody will complain anymore...ok, well, some will, probably me, but at least he won't be expected to be our "Sniper" anymore and by only putting in 55 points on the 2nd or 3rd line, maybe he won't seem so lazy anymore...who knows, with the pressure off a bit, maybe he'll top 30 goals and start having fun again...

Franzen at 60 points @ $3.9M is good

Franzen at 60 points @ $7.5M :puke:

Take him for what he is...he is not a sniper, he is not getting paid like a sniper, this team NEEDS a real sniper, and it seems like they willing to throw out $8M or more to get one! Fingers crossed...get er done Kenny! Get er Done!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,186 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

^^^ That.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Why would the Isles give up the picks (probable top 5 overall) when there are a bunch of UFA d-men available.

only 1 reason, their team's management is beyond terrible.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.