• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Brad Stuart's rights traded to San Jose

Rate this topic

Like everyone else I knew it was coming but when it happens, it stings a little. I have loved Stuart since he joined us and has been a key part in our success. Worst case scenario for the D corps was (imho) Lids and Stuart left at the same time...Good luck with the sharks Brad and I feel somewhat bad that I'll be cursing your name soon....Also good good luck to Ken and Co. as well. Now its time to see what these upstairs boys are made of.:boxing:

So many folks in this thread don't seem to understand the concept of trading a player's rights. This is NOT the same as trading a signed player where you command an equal return on the player being shipped out.

Don't understand how anyone could be mad at this. He wasn't going to re-sign with the wings regardless, so its a good thing we got something in return.

Either let him walk as a UFA and watch him sign with the Sharks, OR trade his rights and get value for him. Its a no brainer.

So many folks in this thread don't seem to understand the concept of trading a player's rights. This is NOT the same as trading a signed player where you command an equal return on the player being shipped out.

Don't understand how anyone could be mad at this. He wasn't going to re-sign with the wings regardless, so its a good thing we got something in return.

Either let him walk as a UFA and watch him sign with the Sharks, OR trade his rights and get value for him. Its a no brainer.

Exactly right. If anything, San Jose did us a favour.

That's what I was thinking. I have a newfound respect for the Sharks. They knew they were getting him either way, or at least were among the finalists (LA and Anaheim being the unlikely suitors), but they still offered us something.

I looked at Murray's stats, and they don't seem too atrocious. They dipped this year but so did the Sharks in general. I think we should definitely try to sign him and keep him as bottom 6 insurance. He's done around 10 points over 40 games. Not a game changer, but could be another energy guy.

Edited by VM1138

That's what I was thinking. I have a newfound respect for the Sharks. They knew they were getting him either way, or at least were among the finalists (LA and Anaheim being the unlikely suitors), but they still offered us something.

San Jose did both us and them a favour.They got the right to make a deal with him before the 1st of July and avoid potential bidding war with other Cali teams.I don't think LA is interested in Stuart,but Anaheim on the other hand...

After all,there wouldn't be any issues to move his family(stepdaughter included)a bit south within the State of California.

I don't understand why we couldn't swing Stuart for schultz. That seemed like a fair deal.

I think Schultz is more valuable then Stuart. And you know Kenny let his pal Stewie pick where he wanted to go

Wouldn't be surprised to see that 7th, Murray, and another pick go to the Ducks for Schultz though

I think Schultz is more valuable then Stuart. And you know Kenny let his pal Stewie pick where he wanted to go

Wouldn't be surprised to see that 7th, Murray, and another pick go to the Ducks for Schultz though

I dont think so. Stuart is a proven veteran with a Stanley Cup ring. Schultz is a highly touted, but unproven prospect. It seems even to me.

I think it's more likely that Holland isn't interested in Schultz.

I dont think so. Stuart is a proven veteran with a Stanley Cup ring. Schultz is a highly touted, but unproven prospect. It seems even to me.

I think it's more likely that Holland isn't interested in Schultz.

Yeah I know I know, Stuart, even though his stats have been ok, he's just looked like a shell of his former self this last year, looked like he was on a downswing, and shultz looks like hes on a big upswing....highly touted prospect and has like a max of 19 years in him while Stuart has a max of like 8....I'd personally rather get Stuarts rights than Schultz's but i think young talent is just more valued on the NHL market often times

Agreed. I hope no idiots boo him when he comes to town in his new sweater.

Oh, there will be. Sad, but true. It'll be the same idiots that boo Hossa when he did nothing but fulfill his obligation, which was a huge risk in the first place given the 1-year term in the prime of his career.

Oh, there will be. Sad, but true. It'll be the same idiots that boo Hossa when he did nothing but fulfill his obligation, which was a huge risk in the first place given the 1-year term in the prime of his career.

Hossa signed with a major rival, hence the booing. Stuart did the same, hence there will be booing. Neither player owed us anything, but we couldn't afford Hossa so Stuart deserves it more than Hossa. Give it 3 years and no one will care anymore, same thing happened to Fedorov.

Most people are fans of the team's well being not the players.

Edited by redwings1914

With Stewie making his way back to San Jose, how ******* bad does the Thornton trade look now? Jumbo for Sturm and Primeau, yikes. And yet, Boston won the cup before San Jose did :lol: Weird thing this hockey, you just never know.

Honestly I'd be a little surprised if there was booing other than from a few idiots.

This has been a known thing for a while now, and it's not like he's leaving the Wings because he thinks San Jose gives him a better shot at winning the Cup or would get him more money.

Who knows though. Maybe I'm giving Wings fans too much credit, but it's pretty crappy if they boo him. Stuart was a great late season pickup by the Wings and a big part of their Cup in '08.

Honestly I'd be a little surprised if there was booing other than from a few idiots.

This has been a known thing for a while now, and it's not like he's leaving the Wings because he thinks San Jose gives him a better shot at winning the Cup or would get him more money.

Who knows though. Maybe I'm giving Wings fans too much credit, but it's pretty crappy if they boo him. Stuart was a great late season pickup by the Wings and a big part of their Cup in '08.

I think it will be quite the opposite...I remember Adam Oates early returns to Detroit, he got cheered when he scored a goal or even got an assist.

Brad had said his first choice is to stay in Detroit, but it is because of the family issues (Wife not able to move here) that he must return to California. Fans will cheer him, trust me...

EDIT: Lest us forget that he was one of those guys who signed a contract for LESS money to stay in Detroit for three more years...he could have left in 08', but knows which is the best organization to play for. Even when he said he had to go, they asked him which team and made a trade to allow San Jose to open up a roster spot instead of just letting July 1st come and having him deal with it on his own...Red Wings class act, from top to bottom...Take note Parise/Suter....Take note Schultz/Dekeyser/Welsh....Take note...you will not be sorry...just look at Wisniewski, he is sorry now...

Edited by LeftWinger

Darren Dreger said something on twitter I thought was just plain stupid.

Said he took a paycut to go to a club that is a great fit...

It hurts my head because he makes it sound like he was taking a paycut to leave Detroit to go somewhere where his playing is improved or his chance to win is worth a paycut. I took the 4% paycut and 3 years as bad pay and term for someone who deserved a raise, but was stuck because everyone knew to be with his family he HAD to sign in San Jose.

I am really disappointed in the Sharks for negotiating him down. If anything they should give him a raise and put in the contract that 60% of the raise must be given to the wife to do whatever they want.

I am happy he will be in a home again with his wife. I just dislike them putting the screws to him. I assumed he was in line for a raise in Detroit, and I expected the same from the Sharks.

well judging by some of the comments at the bottom of this news article, i think you may be giving them too much credit

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/06/former_red_wings_defenseman_br.html

I like this guy:

schwartzme

Stuart quit on the Wings in December. San Jose will not improve with him on the back end. He is simply not that good and they have lots of problems that he will not fix. Good for him. He got to use the power of the collective bargaining system to get something he wanted. After all, the players did lose a year in a lockout so he just took advantage of the negotiated settlement. The mistake in this whole deal was that Holland was too sympathetic in Stuart's favor. The Wings are a business. They charge people money to watch them play. Holland knew he had a deserter on his team and should have peddled him to an Eastern Conference team well before the trading deadline and gotten something in return. Instead he stood pat and lost him, but came out of it a nice guy. And oh yes, with a 1-4 playoff record for his team.

Hey schwartzme, The Red Wings are a class act and in this act of valor toward Brad it proves to the rest of the players in the NHL that if you become a Red Wing, you are family and Devil Anse Holland takes care of his family! Shipping Brad off to a crap team at the deadline would only show other potential UFA's around the league that if for some reason you need a special favor, Holland just screws you over! But doing what Holland did in accommodating Stuart, he just proved to the NHL players, if a special circumstance arises, whatever you need I will make it happen! Work hard for me and I will work hard for you! That move is one rarely seen by any other team in the league. Brad gave Holland 3 yrs and a couple of months, including a Stanley Cup...Brad will always be a Red Wing and Holland will always be this classy! I expect nothing less from the Detroit Red Wings...

Players just don't come here to play, the come here to join a family and more times than not, end their careers. Why do you think Chelios never left? He tried to have one more go at it in Atlanta, but only played 7 games and hung them up...he quickly returned "home" to the Red Wings...

Holland did two things for Brad, he offered him a contract letting him know that if he wanted to stay, the Wings wanted him, then he traded him back home so he could be with his family...Brad will always be welcomed back if he so chose to, that is a guarantee! Brad has earned his Red Wings and will always be a part of this great Dynasty we have been so privileged to watch for the last 20 years!