#103 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

[quote name='hillbillywingsfan' timestamp='1339693190' post='2307358']
Nothing negative about being realistic.

Do you really think Doan or Selanne are going to leave their respective cities and sign with Detroit? Do you think CBJs are going to trade Nash to Detroit for spare parts and AHL flops?

Many here are going to have a HUGE let down.

I'm hopeful Holland can somehow land Suter and/or Parise, they are the best options, but I'm not feeling to optimistic about either one of them coming here. The only thing left are Hudler and Holmstrom type players and projects.

Under the circumstances, I think Holland should re-sign Hudler. That's a much needed 25+ goals for next season and he knows the system. I would take him over the other (realistic) players that guy listed.

Edited by Heaten, 14 June 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#104 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

For the supposed rumored money that he wants I'd rather leave a 25 goal hole in our line up course he could play at league minimum and I'd still let him walk. If he's going to be a one dimensional so called scorer/sniper with lackluster defense and only 25 goals on our team na I'd rather wait for someone else to fill this roll.

#105 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Next

You failed to see the point and instead decided to be overly negative about nearly every single player on that list. That was a list of 20+ goal scorers that you said does not exist. I was just proving the point that you were inaccurate in your assumption. If we're talking about Hudler leaving and replacing his output, I would take half of those guys in a heartbeat. Namely, Jokinen or Doan.

For the supposed rumored money that he wants I'd rather leave a 25 goal hole in our line up course he could play at league minimum and I'd still let him walk. If he's going to be a one dimensional so called scorer/sniper with lackluster defense and only 25 goals on our team na I'd rather wait for someone else to fill this roll.

Seriously... you're quite right. Why would we tie ourselves to someone like that? His goals can be largely contributed to the hard work of Datsyuk and Zetterberg who make him look much better when playing together. There are better, more viable options out there, for less. Olli Jokinen, for one, can put up MORE points than Hudler, take faceoffs, and costs less. That's just ONE example.

#106 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I wouldn't even consider offering him a contract until I have kicked the tires and lost out on every other option. Stress that even more with Parise and Suter. I wouldn't sign Hudler until I know where I stand on the big contracts. Hell, I wouldn't sign him longer than a year because next year is going to be rough as well.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#107 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

You failed to see the point and instead decided to be overly negative about nearly every single player on that list. That was a list of 20+ goal scorers that you said does not exist. I was just proving the point that you were inaccurate in your assumption. If we're talking about Hudler leaving and replacing his output, I would take half of those guys in a heartbeat. Namely, Jokinen or Doan.

The nature of my post was who Holland could reasonably land. I think the chances of landing Selanne and Doan are zip to zilch, with a little bit of nada peppered in. Semin is the best guy on your list and he's going to get serious overpayment... and Capitals fans are going to rejoice when he's gone. They really, really hate him. To them, he's a bigger whipping boy than Hudler is to use. Atleast Hudler can score some key goals and clutch times. Needless to say, Semin only scored 21 goals last year (contract year) while Hudler scored 25 (on a contract year) while earning less money. That speaks volumes about motivation.

So, why stop at Doan? Why not have Holland go after Toews or Malkin? It has about as much logic to it. Doan is going to retire a Coyote.

#108 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

The nature of my post was who Holland could reasonably land. I think the chances of landing Selanne and Doan are zip to zilch, with a little bit of nada peppered in. Semin is the best guy on your list and he's going to get serious overpayment... and Capitals fans are going to rejoice when he's gone. They really, really hate him. To them, he's a bigger whipping boy than Hudler is to use. Atleast Hudler can score some key goals and clutch times. Needless to say, Semin only scored 21 goals last year (contract year) while Hudler scored 25 (on a contract year) while earning less money. That speaks volumes about motivation.

So, why stop at Doan? Why not have Holland go after Toews or Malkin? It has about as much logic to it. Doan is going to retire a Coyote.

Quite right. And Selanne will retire a Duck.

#109 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

i am not pro hudler by any means, especially if he wants too much money. but the dude was a great contributor last year. only 20 forwards in the entire league scored more even strength goals than he did.

http://www.nhl.com/i...&viewName=goals

to me that is a VERY important stat. even strength scoring is where you really make a difference. sure hudler has his flaws, but so does every single other potential replacement. i would love to see parise signed as his replacement. it would be sweet. but its not a likely scenario. so if it doesn't happen i would welcome hudler back at a moderate salary increase.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#110 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Needless to say, Semin only scored 21 goals last year (contract year) while Hudler scored 25 (on a contract year) while earning less money. That speaks volumes about motivation.

If this is the best we see out of hudler on his contract year with some of our top players its sad to see. I don't really care for Semin at all but Was did have a horrid year this year in his defense.

#111 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

I wouldn't even consider offering him a contract until I have kicked the tires and lost out on every other option. Stress that even more with Parise and Suter. I wouldn't sign Hudler until I know where I stand on the big contracts. Hell, I wouldn't sign him longer than a year because next year is going to be rough as well.

/Agree and we are not helping our situation the last few years out by replacing broken pieces with the same people. = only if we have no other way to go.

#112 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Resigning Hudler isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it does ensure that Nyquist will not see regular playing time this coming year as he's not suited for a third or fourth line role on this team. So that's essentially the trade off, unless someone wants to see both Hudler and Nyquist in our top six...but I certainly don't.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#113 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Resigning Hudler isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it does ensure that Nyquist will not see regular playing time this coming year as he's not suited for a third or fourth line role on this team. So that's essentially the trade off, unless someone wants to see both Hudler and Nyquist in our top six...but I certainly don't.

I love Nyquist but I'd rather Wings not rush him. he's not the answer to the top scoring up front yet...

#114 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I love Nyquist but I'd rather Wings not rush him. he's not the answer to the top scoring up front yet...

I agree, but Holland has said that Nyquist and Smith will be on the team this year and Nyquist's talent is wasted on either of the bottom two lines. Therefore, the only way to have him AND Hudler in the lineup at the same time while still utilizing their skill sets is to put them both in the top six...and I certainly don't want that. However, if we can land a top line winger to play with Datsyuk, then Hudler's 25 goals aren't as important as they were last year, and you can bring in Nyquist without putting too much pressure on him.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#115 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Uhh... Olli Jokinen made $3 mil last season and had 23 goals for Calgary (playing between lines 1-3). If we lost Hudler and wanted to replace his output, I'd go for Jokinen around 3.5-4 mil.

I think Jokinen for $2-3m a year plus an additional $1-1.5m in McDonald's gift certificates would work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Urx2OM6s6s

Edited by ogreslayer, 15 June 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#116 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

I agree, but Holland has said that Nyquist and Smith will be on the team this year and Nyquist's talent is wasted on either of the bottom two lines. Therefore, the only way to have him AND Hudler in the lineup at the same time while still utilizing their skill sets is to put them both in the top six...and I certainly don't want that. However, if we can land a top line winger to play with Datsyuk, then Hudler's 25 goals aren't as important as they were last year, and you can bring in Nyquist without putting too much pressure on him.

I think Nyquist would look better on the 3rd line. We just don't have a center to feed him pucks :(

#117 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

I think Nyquist would look better on the 3rd line. We just don't have a center to feed him pucks :(

Nyquist isn't really a finisher, and I certainly don't think that's he's more suited to the third lines roles of physicality, scoring, and good defense than Bertuzzi and Cleary are.

#118 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Brooks Laich like would make a hell of a 3rd line center, move Helm to the 4th line and Abby on the 4th line Wing. Rotate Nyquist / Bert / Cleary on the 1st line. Rumor was Caps would trade Brooks Laich.

#119 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

All sounds wonderful...just NO HUDLER!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#120 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I think Jokinen for $2-3m a year plus an additional $1-1.5m in McDonald's gift certificates would work

[video}[/video]

Haha his accent is awesome when he says "I went and had a big mac meal at MAC donalds. Lol!

Posted Image