• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#121 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Stewart got 3 million and he only had 30 points last year...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#122 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

Atleast Hudler can score some key goals and clutch times. Needless to say, Semin only scored 21 goals last year (contract year) while Hudler scored 25 (on a contract year) while earning less money. That speaks volumes about motivation.

Not a Hudler hater,nor Semin fan,but motivated Hudler is capable of scoring 25 goals and yet motivated Semin has scored 40 goals not so long ago,so If I must pick one of them I'd rather take Semin for around $5mil. than Happy Huds for around $4mil.

#123 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Scott Gomez gets paid 8 mil per goal.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#124 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

I honestly would resign Hudler for cheap if you can. He is a perfect 4rth liner that can slide up to second line if injuries happen.

#125 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

I honestly would resign Hudler for cheap if you can. He is a perfect 4rth liner that can slide up to second line if injuries happen.

No no no. We need size and snarl on the 4th line. Moen or Prust. Both would be great. Parise and Suter are the top 2 targets and then we add the big banger for the 4th line and try to emulate what the Kings have. A 4th line which can play and wear teams down. Hudler wears no one down but the strippers he buys trying to get a red light discount of the day special.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#126 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Not a Hudler hater,nor Semin fan,but motivated Hudler is capable of scoring 25 goals and yet motivated Semin has scored 40 goals not so long ago,so If I must pick one of them I'd rather take Semin for around $5mil. than Happy Huds for around $4mil.

I agree. Plus, at 6'1 and 210 lbs. Semin is ALWAYS going to be harder to play against than Huds. Also, how much of Semin's under performance was himself, and how much of it was Washington's mismanagement. I've said before and I'll say again, Bruce Boudreau was a terrible coach for young players because he's not the type of guy that forces players to work within a system to achieve results. As a result Washington squandered one of the most talented rosters in hockey year after year after year. Get Semin onto a team where he's expected to do a particular job and is held accountable, and I believe he'll be just like the long list of players who have learned how to play a full game in Detroit. Not too long ago Dan Cleary was accused of taking shifts off and not playing defense, so was Bertuzzi, and Hossa. They all did a complete turn around once they came here. No reason to believe Semin couldn't do the same. I consider it a reclamation project, and one that could really pay off, if the reports are true and Semin would consider a pay cut to play here.

Obviously there are question marks with the guy, and he's no guarantee, but he might well be worth the gamble if a more consistently proven scoring winger (Parise) can't be acquired.

Edit: Sniper much?

Edited by kipwinger, 15 June 2012 - 11:38 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#127 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

I think Semin is looking to get 6+ million and maybe more. And why couldn't he? Leino got $6million during FA. Semin should get close to $7million by those standards. Leino signed a long contract to circumvent the cap. I really, really hope Holland doesn't do that unless it's for a proven star like Suter.

So the question is do you take Hudler for $4 or Semin for $7?

Edited by Heaten, 15 June 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#128 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

I think Semin is looking to get 6+ million and maybe more. And why couldn't he? Leino got $6million during FA. Semin should get close to $7million by those standards. Leino signed a long contract to circumvent the cap. I really, really hope Holland doesn't do that unless it's for a proven star like Suter.

In that scenario there's no way I'd sign Semin. But I think that he's only going to get that kind of money in Russia. If he signs in the NHL it will be with a contender and at a (slight) discount. 1 year at 5.5 to 6 million, or two years at 5 million.

Here's a link to a real good article about Semin and Detroit.

http://www.wingingit...ex-semin-gamble

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#129 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

In that scenario there's no way I'd sign Semin. But I think that he's only going to get that kind of money in Russia. If he signs in the NHL it will be with a contender and at a (slight) discount. 1 year at 5.5 to 6 million, or two years at 5 million.

Here's a link to a real good article about Semin and Detroit.

http://www.wingingit...ex-semin-gamble

I wouldn't mind Semin for a short (2 year contract) with a cap hit of no more than $5mil per year. I just think he'll get better offers. And like you said, he can go to Russia for a huge payday. If Holland does land Semin, I still hope he can get a gritty top 6 guy to forecheck like a madman and can score the dirty goals. Parise would be ideal, but if they can't get him, I wouldn't mind someone like a healthy Cleary.

#130 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'd rather have Semin at $7M than Franzen at $4M and Hudler at $4M...I am just tired of the same old garbage every year...Franzen is oft injured or playing at 60% and Hudler is not worth $4M-$5M on this team. I'd do not want Hudler in a house or with a mouse, I do not want him with a goat or on a boat, I do not want him Sam I Am...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#131 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'd rather have Semin at $7M than Franzen at $4M and Hudler at $4M...I am just tired of the same old garbage every year...Franzen is oft injured or playing at 60% and Hudler is not worth $4M-$5M on this team. I'd do not want Hudler in a house or with a mouse, I do not want him with a goat or on a boat, I do not want him Sam I Am...

Semin at 7 million? Yikes! :huh: If it was 2-3 years ago then hell yeah! As far as Franzen goes we all know you dislike him but I would hate having him, Semin, and Hudler. That I think would be a nightmare. I am with you on that part Sam; no HUDLER!!!!!! You know what my biggest nag about Hudler is? I WILL TELL YOU; WHEN BABCOCK GETS ALL EXCITED AND USES HIM IN EVERY SHOOTOUT DETROIT HAS. The guy is AWFUL on shootouts. All he does is skate in and shoot. Mind you not even a good shot. Damn him lol. There are so many better choices but Babs lovesssss to use him. Anyways enough of my rant. But Franzen at 4m > Semin at 7m > Hudler at any amount lol.

That was kind of a all over the place kind of post, my bad. Bottom line is like I said before: SAY-NO-TO-HUDLER!

Posted Image

#132 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

$7 million is too much for a player that will likely be a healthy scratch 1/4 of the season and LGWs official whipping boy.

Lol, I'm not sure if your post is serious, though. You are replacing a combination of 50+ goals for 20-something-goals. Tell me you are kidding....

Edited by Heaten, 15 June 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#133 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Semin would be a good playing with Pasha. They had great chemistry at the Worlds. Signing useless Hudler will be a step backward. Even if he chooses to play for free for the Wings. .
No to Hudler !

#134 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

$7 million is too much for a player that will likely be a healthy scratch 1/4 of the season and LGWs official whipping boy.

Lol, I'm not sure if your post is serious, though. You are replacing a combination of 50+ goals for 20-something-goals. Tell me you are kidding....

Stat-wise, I jest I jest, but I wouldn't miss Franzen/Hudler if they just left for nothing...I simply dislike them both, but I won't argue with their stats...

...why are you so sure that Semin would be a healthy scratch for 20 games or so?

www.thinkdunes.com

#135 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Semin would be a good playing with Pasha. They had great chemistry at the Worlds. Signing useless Hudler will be a step backward. Even if he chooses to play for free for the Wings. .
No to Hudler !

THIS, but he did have good stats, I just think the mood on the Wings went stale with this group...now they lost their leader PLUS another top 4 defenseman. 50 points or not, this group needs an injection of life and going back to the same players of the last three playoff letdowns would be a costly mistake...IMO. Frankly if Franzen is bored and needs to have more fun, then re-signing Hudler is not going to do that... Signing Parise/Suter, now that would inject some excitement and fun into the lineup!

www.thinkdunes.com

#136 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Stat-wise, I jest I jest, but I wouldn't miss Franzen/Hudler if they just left for nothing...I simply dislike them both, but I won't argue with their stats...

...why are you so sure that Semin would be a healthy scratch for 20 games or so?

Semin isn't known for his work ethics. He's known to take weeks off. That won't fly well with Babcock. I don't think Semin and Babcock would get along too well... especially if Semin becomes a disgruntled locker room cancer.

#137 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Semin isn't known for his work ethics. He's known to take weeks off. That won't fly well with Babcock. I don't think Semin and Babcock would get along too well... especially if Semin becomes a disgruntled locker room cancer.

Yes, I do remember well when Fedorov went to Anaheim and Babcock called Bowman asking WTF is up with Fedorov, and how does he get him motivated....I could see that happening with Semin too...

www.thinkdunes.com

#138 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

The flip side of this coin is that maybe a demanding coach with a proven track record would help Semin finally reach his full potential. You have to remember, it wasn't until Scotty came along that Yzerman became a full time, well rounded, player. Obviously Semin isn't Stevie Y, but there's no telling how a guy will react to a coach that holds him accountable. Like I said before, it wasn't long ago that people said that about Cleary, Bert, and Hossa. Semin only ever had one NHL coach to teach him the NHL game, and that was Boudreau, who obviously didn't demand that guys play a disciplined game, but that doesn't mean they can't...especially when they come on to a team full of guys who do go the extra mile.

Again, it's a gamble...but it might be worth the risk if the asking price on Parise is too high and Semin can be had for a reasonable contract.

#139 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

The flip side of this coin is that maybe a demanding coach with a proven track record would help Semin finally reach his full potential. You have to remember, it wasn't until Scotty came along that Yzerman became a full time, well rounded, player. Obviously Semin isn't Stevie Y, but there's no telling how a guy will react to a coach that holds him accountable. Like I said before, it wasn't long ago that people said that about Cleary, Bert, and Hossa. Semin only ever had one NHL coach to teach him the NHL game, and that was Boudreau, who obviously didn't demand that guys play a disciplined game, but that doesn't mean they can't...especially when they come on to a team full of guys who do go the extra mile.

Again, it's a gamble...but it might be worth the risk if the asking price on Parise is too high and Semin can be had for a reasonable contract.

...Obviously Babcock is Scotty...

Although I do share your hope for Semin to work out here if he signs...

Edited by LeftWinger, 15 June 2012 - 10:05 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#140 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

I agree. Plus, at 6'1 and 210 lbs. Semin is ALWAYS going to be harder to play against than Huds. Also, how much of Semin's under performance was himself, and how much of it was Washington's mismanagement. I've said before and I'll say again, Bruce Boudreau was a terrible coach for young players because he's not the type of guy that forces players to work within a system to achieve results. As a result Washington squandered one of the most talented rosters in hockey year after year after year. Get Semin onto a team where he's expected to do a particular job and is held accountable, and I believe he'll be just like the long list of players who have learned how to play a full game in Detroit. Not too long ago Dan Cleary was accused of taking shifts off and not playing defense, so was Bertuzzi, and Hossa. They all did a complete turn around once they came here. No reason to believe Semin couldn't do the same. I consider it a reclamation project, and one that could really pay off, if the reports are true and Semin would consider a pay cut to play here.

Obviously there are question marks with the guy, and he's no guarantee, but he might well be worth the gamble if a more consistently proven scoring winger (Parise) can't be acquired.

Edit: Sniper much?

Do you watch Semin play often? Semin is softer than a bag of kittens.

Also, Hossa was never considered a poor defender. He was lauded for his 2 way play long before coming to the Wings.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft