• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Brendan Smith

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

His goal for the summer is to add muscle without losing speed

I would have added the article where Smith talks about his summer goals but I didn't want to go over the media limit

I would have added the article where Smith talks about his summer goals but I didn't want to go over the media limit

I think if hes inserted as a top 4 this season the management and coaching will dissuade him from fighting a lot... with the rash of concussions and the uncertain make up of Detroit's depth at D will make it unlikely that Smith will drop the gloves on a regular basis.

Guest Johnz96

I think if hes inserted as a top 4 this season the management and coaching will dissuade him from fighting a lot... with the rash of concussions and the uncertain make up of Detroit's depth at D will make it unlikely that Smith will drop the gloves on a regular basis.

I agree but it will be nice to add someone who can. Here is that article in which he says his goal for the summer is to gain some bulk without losing speed

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120509/SPORTS0103/205090342#ixzz1uNi22GEc

Hardly any of which come from fighting...

Smith is a great fighter and won all 5 of his fights last season in the AHL/NHL. He'll be fine.

Hardly any of which come from fighting...

Smith is a great fighter and won all 5 of his fights last season in the AHL/NHL. He'll be fine.

The N.H.L.’s data from last season indicated that 8 percent of concussions resulted from fights. Still, Bettman said the league and the players were not inclined to enact measures that would limit fighting.

Tator said he believed fighting caused 10 percent of all concussions in hockey — “a significant number.” Asked if he could reduce by 10 percent a serious health problem by taking a particular step, he said, “Absolutely — the fighting issue is an important aspect of the whole issue of hits to the head.”

1 out of 10 is not 'hardly any'. The Wings can not afford to lose Smith to a head injury like they lost Lilja, not with the defensive depth being so scant at this point.

Edited by Shaman464

Guest Hatethedrake!

Gain muscle and not lose any speed? Hopefully he doesn't go on the roids.

Guest Johnz96

Gain muscle and not lose any speed? Hopefully he doesn't go on the roids.

Depending on how hard he has tried at it before and how muscle mass he has already accumulated If he has never concentrated on building muscle mass before and being an athlete that already uses his muscles regularly with a hard workout regiment and proper nutrition he could put on over 20 lbs while losing body fat and even gaining speed over the summer.

Although I don't train professionaly anymore I am certified Personal Fitness Trainer

Anyone who thinks this kid wont fight is fooling themselves. Babcock will not dissuade him and he definitely enjoys it. He said after fighting Shaw last year that he had 2 options, fight or turtle and he never turtles. The style that Smith plays will lead to guys going after him and he has to much pride to say no to all comers.

He will be told to choose his spots wisely, but he'll probably fight 5 times a year or so and be physical game in and game out.

I dunno if he'll be top 4 next season but he should see some decent PP time and put up some points. He might kill a little too. I expect a 30 point season which is good for a young dman, 5 fights and a decent highlight reel of hits. Hes going to be a fan favourite in no time

Guest Kronstantinov

If Babcock and the Wings finally give him the opportunnity, I think he will be a top Calder Trophy contender