• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

I think it is a no brainer and every GM would give up 4 average players for a potential major award candidate in their prime and conversely no GM would give up a potential major award candidate in their prime for 4 average players

Edited by Johnz96, 11 June 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#2 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

That is very dependent on the composition and make up of the team. LA is made up of 'average players' without a Norris or RR candidate, yet they are getting the job done. Can't put all your eggs in one basket; this is a team sport.

Edited by rrasco, 11 June 2012 - 12:44 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#3 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

That is very dependent on the composition and make up of the team. LA is made up of 'average players' without a Norris or RR candidate, yet they are getting the job done. Can't put all your eggs in one basket; this is a team sport.

Doughty is arguably the best d-man there is, Kopitar is one of the best and I wouldn't be surprised to see him up for the Hart soon, Quick is a Vezina candidate, I geuss I should change that to the ability to be a major trophy candidate and I'm gonna change that right now

#4 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Drew Doughty may not be a Norris candidate this season but he is a Norris calibre dman for sure who is still years from entering his prime. He is a star dman and one of the main reasons why the Kings are 1 win away from winning the Cup. Plus LA has more than just average players. Richards, Carter, Brown, Williams and Kopitar is one heck of a forward group. Sure their 3rd and 4th lines are made up of ham and eggers but those guys cannot perform effectively in their roles without the star players being there to draw other teams top lines. The Kings depth is what has carried them along with a star goalie in Quick. This team has alot of front end talent on it and should not surprise anyone with their success.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#5 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

agreed. Additionally, if your team is already very thin then the superstar wouldn't really help much. Look at Columbus. An average goalie and a few 2nd and 3rd liners would probably do them more good than Rick Nash is right now.

Also, what does the OP mean by average? Is Cleary average, or Abby, or Miller, or Helm. You could argue that they are all average, and I certainly wouldn't trade the four of them for Steven Stamkos or Erik Karlsson.

Edited by kipwinger, 11 June 2012 - 01:02 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#6 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

No....you need the average team behind a few stars...just like someone mentioned the 4 or 5 Kings that are Stars...They will (Should) have next year Datsyuk, Parise, Zetterberg, Filppula and Franzen as 60+ point getters a few should get near 100...if they didn't have the average bottom 6 they have now and if they add another big body, they should be favorites again...

Edited by LeftWinger, 11 June 2012 - 01:08 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#7 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

agreed. Additionally, if your team is already very thin then the superstar wouldn't really help much. Look at Columbus. An average goalie and a few 2nd and 3rd liners would probably do them more good than Rick Nash is right now.

Also, what does the OP mean by average? Is Cleary average, or Abby, or Miller, or Helm. You could argue that they are all average, and I certainly wouldn't trade the four of them for Steven Stamkos or Erik Karlsson.

Wow.

You wouldn't trade them for Stamkos, Karlsson, Ovechkin, Weber, Doughty or Malkin. I think the OP is right any GM would and no Gm would give any one of those guys for the 4 average players you mentioned, all of them could easily be replaced with UFAs, prospects, waiver pick ups(that's how we acquired Miller and Cleary) or trades that wouldn't require too much

#8 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Wow.

You wouldn't trade them for Stamkos, Karlsson, Ovechkin, Weber, Doughty or Malkin. I think the OP is right any GM would and no Gm would give any one of those guys for the 4 average players you mentioned, all of them could easily be replaced with UFAs, prospects, waiver pick ups(that's how we acquired Miller and Cleary) or trades that wouldn't require too much

Of course I wouldn't. The Pittsburgh Penguins didn't make it past the first round with the presumed MVP of the league, Crosby, a #1 drafted goalie, and James Neal having a career year. Why would I want to gut 4 roster players off my team for just one of those pieces (the presumed MVP)? Picks and prospects along with a roster player or two and I'm happy to make a trade, but there's nobody in the world worth Cleary, Helm, Abby, and Miller...unless Evgeni Malkin can play 38 minutes a night, kill penalties, win faceoffs, and still maintain his offensive numbers.

Edited by kipwinger, 11 June 2012 - 07:56 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#9 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Of course I wouldn't. The Pittsburgh Penguins didn't make it past the first round with the presumed MVP of the league, Crosby, a #1 drafted goalie, and James Neal having a career year. Why would I want to gut 4 roster players off my team for just one of those pieces (the presumed MVP)? Picks and prospects along with a roster player or two and I'm happy to make a trade, but there's nobody in the world worth Cleary, Helm, Abby, and Miller...unless Evgeni Malkin can play 38 minutes a night, kill penalties, win faceoffs, and still maintain his offensive numbers.

Penguins were too busy hating the other team rather than concentrating on being a team themselves. That almost made up for the Wings getting ousted. I called it in an article I wrote for Bleacher Report about Crosby prior to the start of the playoffs

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Penguins were too busy hating the other team rather than concentrating on being a team themselves. That almost made up for the Wings getting ousted. I called it in an article I wrote for Bleacher Report about Crosby prior to the start of the playoffs

Well whatever the reason, the presence of two MVP level talents didn't seem to make much of a difference for them. Every team is built around some elite talent and a lot of role players. The differences in skill levels between elite players is very slim, so it's fair to say that Chicago's superstars and Vancouver's superstars are not noticeably better or worse than one another. Often, what separates good teams from great ones are their role players and character guys, and I'd certainly never advocate gutting your team of four such guys just to add another star. Seriously, Cleary, Helm, Abby, and Miller for Karlsson or Malkin, why?

Not that you were suggesting that we should...but some here have.

Edited by kipwinger, 11 June 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#11 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Holy generic thread title Batman!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#12 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Holy generic thread title Batman!

esteef

With informative and well thought out posts like that it's no wonder that you've made it past 7,000 posts already. My hat's off to you, you truly are a Hall of Famer.

Kip

#13 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

With informative and well thought out posts like that it's no wonder that you've made it past 7,000 posts already. My hat's off to you, you truly are a Hall of Famer.

Kip

U MAD BRO? U MAD?! :cool:

Posted Image

#14 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

U MAD BRO? U MAD?! :cool:

Furious. You should see me.

#15 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

:lol:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."