• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GoalieManPat

15 years ago today

Rate this topic

I remember that day well. I spent all night watching ESPN and searching the few sites on the internet that were out there, trying to find any news updates I could. A terribly dark day, and so completely senseless. Had that jackass Richard Gnida not been driving, on a suspended license no less, then Konstantinov would have gone on to have a fulfilling career and a normal life afterwards.

Konstantinov was an absolute BEAST of a defenseman. His big hit in game 3 of the '97 Finals always springs to mind.

I can't find confirmation of this, but if I recall correctly, this hit effectively ended Hawerchuk's career. I seem to remember that he didn't play another shift in the game, and I know he didn't play in game 4. Hawerchuk announced his retirement following that season.

retired16.gif

528 total GP, 52 total G, 142 total A, 194 total P, 945 total PIM. Norris Trophy finalist in ’97, NHL Plus/Minus award in ’95-96 at an incredible +60 (which hadn’t been done since a guy named Gretzky did it in ’86-’87, and hasn’t been done since).

Big old tear just plopped onto my keyboard. :( I hope Vladdy is doing well, but mourn the loss of his life that could have been. So grateful he is a Red Wing, though. He will always have family with his hockey brothers from Detroit.

A sad day indeed. Richard Gnida is a waste of genetic material. It's a travesty that someone would be driving on a suspended license for a limo service, and if I recall correctly there were reports of him being under the influence as well.

Vladdy was a sure fire hall of famer had he not been injured in that wreck. I rocked my white Konstantinov jersey today, and shed a few tears. My fondest memory was being in Philly for a game and rocking the jersey during a Wings win that featured a monster hit on Lindros by the Vladinator.

Guest Kronstantinov

A sad day indeed. Richard Gnida is a waste of genetic material. It's a travesty that someone would be driving on a suspended license for a limo service, and if I recall correctly there were reports of him being under the influence as well.

Vladdy was a sure fire hall of famer had he not been injured in that wreck. I rocked my white Konstantinov jersey today, and shed a few tears. My fondest memory was being in Philly for a game and rocking the jersey during a Wings win that featured a monster hit on Lindros by the Vladinator.

He was under the influence.

Damn do I miss hits like that. I can't believe its been 15 years already also. Time sure does fly.

Anyone have a time machine I can borrow? I have to go back to the 90's!

We get hits like that from Kronner.

Imagine how good the D would have been if he didn't get in that limo

Yeah I know that, I meant in general throughout the NHL. Just look back through the years of the 90's. There were a lot more bone crushing hits then todays softy NHL. We still got some big hitters but in my opinion checking was a lot better then.

I really miss those types of hits in hockey. You know what I mean, when you could flatten a guy out and not have three or four of his teammates start pummeling you. Vlady could do it like no other, and we all miss him. I'd kill four of our current D-men just to have him back.

He was under the influence.

at the very least, 2 or 3 more cups with Vladdy enforcing the blue line with Lids. I'd take those 2 over Stevens/Niedermayer any day of the week.