• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

10 Years Ago Today

Rate this topic

Due to the parity in the league we'll never see power house teams again. Sigh.

This still gives me chills though.

Definitely my favorite Cup run.

We had a team everyone thought would blow through the NHL, but the playoffs sure weren't easy. Losing the first two at home against Vancouver and then having that infamous series against Colorado was stressful.

When Shanny scored that empty-netter, I went crazy. Can't believe it's been 10 years to the day!

Guest irishock

Shanahan-Fedorov-Yzerman

Devereaux-Datsyuk-Hull

Maltby-Draper-McCarty

Robitaille-Larionov-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Olausson

Fischer-Chelios

Duchesne-Dandenault

Hasek

Legace

Wings indeed bought the cup that year. I'll admit that.

Wings indeed bought the cup that year. I'll admit that.

Just what part of that team says "bought the cup?"

Usuallly when you "buy" a Cup, you sign a bunch of huge names, for ungodly amount of money, for one year to go for all the marbles or nothing at all. You don't "trade" away assets when your are "buying" a Cup...Let's break it down....

Brett Hull was signed on August 22nd 2001....he signed a 3 year deal (not a one year) when no other teams wanted to take a chance on Hull. If he was brought in to buy a Cup, he would have been signed on July 1st and paid top dollar..he took a discount to come here...

Luc Robiataille was on the end of his career, LA didn't even want to give him one more season...he was signed July 5th, 2001 again on a multiple year deal. Plenty of other teams could have paid him what he signed here for, but they didn't offer it to him...

Frederick Olausson was playing in Europe when he signed here, hardly had to outbid anyone for him...

Domink Hasek...Holland acquired Dom the day before UFA in 2001, in a TRADE consisting of Kozlov and a 1st round draft pick. Again, if you are buying the Cup, you don't trade away valuable parts of you team...

The rest of that team was already here for years...Duchesne was signed in 1999, Chelios was acquired in a trade for Anders Eriksson and TWO 1st round draft picks in 1998...

I HATE when people say we bought the Cup...We gave up assets to put that team together, that is not BUYING the Cup...

I HATE when people say we bought the Cup...We gave up assets to put that team together, that is not BUYING the Cup...

To be fair, Detroit did have the highest payroll of any team in the league that year by around $8-$9 million. But you are right in that many of the pieces of that team were in place years before Hull, Luc and Hasek came on board.

I brought this up in another thread, but I still feel it's an interesting (albeit, not terribly useful) comparison.

2001-2002 Detroit Red Wings Salary - Around $66 million.

2012-2013 NHL Salary Cap - $70.3 million

Granted, inflation and bloated salaries (I'm looking at you, Jeff Finger) have made comparisons like that pretty much invalid, but it's still fun to think about. I don't think there's any way you could put together a team of the same caliber with the current salary cap.

And finally, my favorite moment from the '02 run...

Shanahan-Fedorov-Yzerman

Devereaux-Datsyuk-Hull

Maltby-Draper-McCarty

Robitaille-Larionov-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Olausson

Fischer-Chelios

Duchesne-Dandenault

Hasek

Legace

What a lucky man Boyd Deveraux turned out to be. :hehe:

Playing on the 2nd line on that team?

Edited by GMRwings1983

What a lucky man Boyd Deveraux turned out to be. :hehe:

Playing on the 2nd line on that team?

I need to go back into my VHS library and maybe I'll find some footage of what the lines were to start the season. I'm fairly sure they weren't even close to what they were in the playoffs.

I remember the Shanahan-Fedorov-Draper line because it was the main reason for Draper's career year.

I need to go back into my VHS library and maybe I'll find some footage of what the lines were to start the season. I'm fairly sure they weren't even close to what they were in the playoffs.

I remember the Shanahan-Fedorov-Draper line because it was the main reason for Draper's career year.

I think Draper's career year came in 2004, when he played with Datsyuk and Shanahan.

I think its funny how people always claim we bought the cup that year? What about other Original 6 teams Rangers with payrolls north of 75 million and also a stacked roster. Was this team expensive? Yes but they did reward us with some outstanding performances and the cup. I want to see teams like that again but it wont happen under Bettman thats for sure.

Guest Crymson

Draper's career season was 2003-2004. Fedorov was not on the team at that stage.

I think Draper's career year came in 2004, when he played with Datsyuk and Shanahan.

Datsyuk played with Hull and Zetterberg in '03-'04.