Photo
- - - - -

If we fail to reload with top UFAs we should?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

I know everyone is high on Parise and Suter, but lets assume we dont get them...the drop off is huge so wouldnt it be better to start the youth movemen? Next years UFA class is extremely loaded so I would prefer that even if our PO streak would come to an end ! Thoughts?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#2 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

At that point my guess would be Holland would bring back Hudler, sign someone Seminish, sign someone Widemanish, and add that #2 goaltender. Do I like this? No. Hudler will be overpaid, Semin will be Semin, and Wideman/Quincey/Smith < Lidstrom/Stuart. Holland's got the money though and he's not going to do nothing with it....And basically he's not going to go with a youth movement for the sake of going with a youth movement. I think our young players would be given a lot of chances to make the team though if this happened.

Maybe a trade....maybe

#3 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

At that point my guess would be Holland would bring back Hudler, sign someone Seminish, sign someone Widemanish, and add that #2 goaltender. Do I like this? No. Hudler will be overpaid, Semin will be Semin, and Wideman/Quincey/Smith < Lidstrom/Stuart. Holland's got the money though and he's not going to do nothing with it....And basically he's not going to go with a youth movement for the sake of going with a youth movement. I think our young players would be given a lot of chances to make the team though if this happened.

Maybe a trade....maybe

It's kinda shocking how close this is to what I was going to post. Plan B, Semin, Wideman, Hudler and youth. Bring in Josh Harding and potentially a grinder/goon like Prust that has some small level of hockey talent on top of the physical play. For this reason I'd pass on Konopka who i've seen mentioned before.

Good news is that it's now June 17th and we only have about two more weeks of this agonizing anticipation until we actually see what this team does/doesn't do to structure for the future.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#4 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

It's kinda shocking how close this is to what I was going to post. Plan B, Semin, Wideman, Hudler and youth. Bring in Josh Harding and potentially a grinder/goon like Prust that has some small level of hockey talent on top of the physical play. For this reason I'd pass on Konopka who i've seen mentioned before.

Good news is that it's now June 17th and we only have about two more weeks of this agonizing anticipation until we actually see what this team does/doesn't do to structure for the future.

My bet is that he gets Suter but not Parise then signs somebody like Semin and makes a big trade later in the summer. Huds is not going to be back because he can get $4M+ elsewhere and Kenny has already hinted that he isn't going to offer him that kind of money. IF Hudler accepts Kenny's offer which will be only a little more than he makes now, Huds will stay but I don't see that happening.

I also expect 1 or 2 FA signings for middle of the road guys.
Do or do not. There is no try

#5 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Sign Parenteau,Moen and one of Konopka/Prust,get both Wideman and Garrison and sign a backup goalie for cheap.

Not the best possible team on paper,but definitely much tougher and deeper than the last season roster

#6 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

I've gotta think we're gonna land at least one of them. (Suter.) But, yeah, I mostly agree with what's been said. I don't think Hudler will be back. Semin, Parenteau, Gaustad/Konopka/Prust/Moen, Wideman/Garrison...?

Edited by Dabura, 17 June 2012 - 11:07 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#7 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

My bet is that he gets Suter but not Parise then signs somebody like Semin and makes a big trade later in the summer. Huds is not going to be back because he can get $4M+ elsewhere and Kenny has already hinted that he isn't going to offer him that kind of money. IF Hudler accepts Kenny's offer which will be only a little more than he makes now, Huds will stay but I don't see that happening.

I also expect 1 or 2 FA signings for middle of the road guys.

That's what I'd put my money on too. Suter and Semin. I don't like Semin but It's not about what I like.

#8 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thoughts on Jordan Staal?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#9 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Sign Parenteau,Moen and one of Konopka/Prust,get both Wideman and Garrison and sign a backup goalie for cheap.

Not the best possible team on paper,but definitely much tougher and deeper than the last season roster

Wideman/Garrison in place of Nick/Stuie. Parenteau/Moen/Konopka or Prust in place of Hudler/Homer/two of Emmerton/Mursak/Miller/Eaves/Nyquist.

Tougher maybe, but certainly not deeper. If we had to settle for that, I'd be ok with it, but I think we'd need to look at our trade options. At least for help on defense.

#10 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

(Almost forgot: *obligatory Girardi mention*)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#11 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thoughts on Jordan Staal?

Yes please. Best third line center in the game when healthy.

#12 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

Would Pittsburgh eve do a trade with the Wings?
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#13 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Sooner than they would with most teams in the East I would think. Maybe the lone exception to that would be with the Canes if they load up an offer in order to start collecting Staals.

#14 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

Sooner than they would with most teams in the East I would think. Maybe the lone exception to that would be with the Canes if they load up an offer in order to start collecting Staals.

This is true, I gotta get past the whole back 2 back finals thing and realize that the only way this trade comes into play is if the Wings and Pens make the finals.

Stall is one of the few guys I would sell the farm for, easily a 25-30 goal guy every year and is elite defensively. Hard to beleive he will be entering his SEVENTH season at 24 years of age.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#15 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Save up for Crosby. :ph34r:

I'd really like to trade everything it would take for a winger Rick Nash/Bobby Ryan seeing as we actually can take on cap space.

Other then that I'd like to see the other names Konopka/Moen/Garrison etc.

#16 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well they traded with Washington, so you never know! I wouldn't mind J. Staal at all if they;d actually trade with us.

But I like Garrison on the point or possibly Schultz. For a 4th line role I don't mind Prust. There aren't many players after Suter and Parise that I would be extremely happy about. There also is E. Kane (regarding the article about not wanting to sign) but realistically Detroit acquiring him isn't going to happen.

Also, I wouldn't mind the trading option to bring in some talent.

Edited by Hockey13Playa, 17 June 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Garrison, Schultz, DeKeyser, Wideman, Prust, Konopka...there's lots of guys that could make the Wings better.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#18 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Next years UFA class is extremely loaded so I would prefer that even if our PO streak would come to an end ! Thoughts?

Last summer, this years UFA class looked really loaded. most elite players get signed to contract extensions during contract years

Garrison, Schultz, DeKeyser, Wideman, Prust, Konopka...there's lots of guys that could make the Wings better.

Schultz will only go to a canadian team

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#19 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Yes please. Best third line center in the game when healthy.

I don't know if you can call someone who gets more ice-time than any of the Wings forwards a third liner

Last summer, this years UFA class looked really loaded. most elite players get signed to contract extensions during contract years

I never heard that anywhere

#20 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

link to article stating this? news to me

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.