• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

4 years? I'll take it! At first, I thought "Wow! $2 mil a year eh?", but honestly, for what he brings to the team, he's well worth it.

#22 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

AWESOME DEAL!!

#23 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Not Bad.

That was damn funny!

I think this is a genius contract on Holland's part. Assuming the best, Helm can do nothing but add huge value to this team. All he needs to do is learn to bury those chances his speed is so good at creating and we're golden.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#24 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Great signing and a great bargain for what Helm brings to the table. He would score a lot more if he was given opportunities in scoring situations.
It is unfortunate that stats dictate a player's income.
It is precisley because of players like this that the Wings will be a Cup contender for a long time. Players who are willing to play for less than what they could get leaving cap space for the team to fill it's needs (and not over-paying for someone just because we have the money), players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall, Howard, all could have got so much more on the open market.

Edited by Kronstantinov, 19 June 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#25 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#26 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

at first i felt like it was a bit high, but considering how many bad contracts are going to happen in a couple weeks, i guess it is good to put it into context. i am also happy with the 4 year term. i think that makes the higher cap hit worth it.

glad to have him on board for 4 more years!

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Highway to the Danger Zone...
Gonna take it right into the Danger Zone...

Posted Image

#28 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Finally, some good Red Wings news.

I think the series against Nashville proved how important Helm was to the team (Although, Im not saying having Helm back would have changed the outcome.. but it certainly wouldnt have hurt)

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#29 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Brilliant! This news just made my day a lot brighter. :)

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#30 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Highway to the Danger Zone...
Gonna take it right into the Danger Zone...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#31 Azelov

Azelov

Jr. Prospect

• 28 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Great!! I would love to see him play with Z sometimes. If he works his shoot he will be a lethal weapon...

#32 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Finally, some good Red Wings news.

Got that right.

Great!! I would love to see him play with Z sometimes. If he works his shoot he will be a lethal weapon...

He's still pretty young. If he develops his offensive game a bit, maybe he could be another Martin St Louis instead of another Kris Draper.

#33 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Great news. This kid has been working hard for this and deserves it. So glad to see him stay in red.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#34 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Excellent news!

Attached Files

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#35 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Honestly, I was hoping for a more of a $1.5M Cap hit, I know he is a solid player and is good at what he does, but I just don't think he earned a raise over twice what he was payed last season...I guess we will see in 4 years if he is outplaying this $2.1M. It's not that he isn't worth it, it's just needed cap space to make this team better... If Holland overpays Quincey, I will have an ulcer... I hope he keeps Abby at a modest pay...I am hoping for $1.1, but after this, I am seeing $1.8M... sorry guys, not being negative, it's just needed cap space, or maybe sign the big UFA's first and then pay your guys a bit of a inflated contract, thats all I am saying...of course after re-signing Bertuzzi at too much money, I should have seen this coming...

NO QUINCEY!!! NO HUDLER!!! Please God! Please Holland! PLEASE!!!!

EDIT: Also, do you now realize what it's going to take to re-sign Filppula? He will get at least $5M...that is the problem here, (and not just Holland) keep overpaying and the NHL will go belly up... I honestly see a point where the guys making $500,000 today will be at $2M within a couple of years...Hey Minny, go ahead a give Parise the world, ruin the NHL (again.)

Edited by LeftWinger, 19 June 2012 - 11:34 AM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#36 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

for those who think this contract is a little bit high, did you all see how screwed the team was without helm at the end of the season???
  • Nev likes this

#37 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Honestly, I was hoping for a more of a $1.5M Cap hit, I know he is a solid player and is good at what he does, but I just don't think he earned a raise over twice what he was payed last season...I guess we will see in 4 years if he is outplaying this $2.1M. It's not that he isn't worth it, it's just needed cap space to make this team better... If Holland overpays Quincey, I will have an ulcer... I hope he keeps Abby at a modest pay...I am hoping for $1.1, but after this, I am seeing $1.8M... sorry guys, not being negative, it's just needed cap space, or maybe sign the big UFA's first and then pay your guys a bit of a inflated contract, thats all I am saying...of course after re-signing Bertuzzi at too much money, I should have seen this coming...

NO QUINCEY!!! NO HUDLER!!! Please God! Please Holland! PLEASE!!!!

i would imagine you will get a bunch of minuses, but i actually do agree with your premise. i had hoped to see him stay at least under 2 mil. but when i do think about it, i think its a fair price for what he brings. i think he was a steal for what he made last year and this contract just brings him up to snuff. the reason i find it unfortunate though is that to win a cup you really need to have several value contracts. right now i just see helm as a neutral contract. though i am hoping in the last 2 years he becomes a steal again.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#38 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

But, but, how's everyone going to fit Parise, Suter, Doan, Semin, and Garrison on CapGeek now that Helm's making $2,100,000?
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#39 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

But, but, how's everyone going to fit Parise, Suter, Doan, Semin, and Garrison on CapGeek now that Helm's making $2,100,000?

Easy. We just won't re-sign Hudler. :ninja:

#40 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

i would imagine you will get a bunch of minuses, but i actually do agree with your premise. i had hoped to see him stay at least under 2 mil. but when i do think about it, i think its a fair price for what he brings. i think he was a steal for what he made last year and this contract just brings him up to snuff. the reason i find it unfortunate though is that to win a cup you really need to have several value contracts. right now i just see helm as a neutral contract. though i am hoping in the last 2 years he becomes a steal again.

I hope I don't get a lot of negs. I was not calling it a bad signing, or that Helm is a bum and not worth it or that Holland should be fired. I was just hoping for less of a cap hit in order to make sure we have the cash to bid high of the players we need to change this team. I am glad Helm is going to be part of that and hope that he signs again in 4 years to a lifetime contract...I just hope that this trend doesn't continue with the overpayment (around the league) because like I said, it's going to ruin the NHL when the Colton Orr's are making $4M soon...

That being said, we still have $24M left to spend of Abby, Parise, Suter, Harding & Schultz & Dekeyser & Welsh...so far I haven't lost out on anyone from my wish list! (yet!)

Edited by LeftWinger, 19 June 2012 - 12:09 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.