• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Darren Helm signs 4 year extension

Rate this topic

at first i felt like it was a bit high, but considering how many bad contracts are going to happen in a couple weeks, i guess it is good to put it into context. i am also happy with the 4 year term. i think that makes the higher cap hit worth it.

glad to have him on board for 4 more years!

Finally, some good Red Wings news.

Got that right.

Great!! I would love to see him play with Z sometimes. If he works his shoot he will be a lethal weapon...

He's still pretty young. If he develops his offensive game a bit, maybe he could be another Martin St Louis instead of another Kris Draper.

Honestly, I was hoping for a more of a $1.5M Cap hit, I know he is a solid player and is good at what he does, but I just don't think he earned a raise over twice what he was payed last season...I guess we will see in 4 years if he is outplaying this $2.1M. It's not that he isn't worth it, it's just needed cap space to make this team better... If Holland overpays Quincey, I will have an ulcer... I hope he keeps Abby at a modest pay...I am hoping for $1.1, but after this, I am seeing $1.8M... sorry guys, not being negative, it's just needed cap space, or maybe sign the big UFA's first and then pay your guys a bit of a inflated contract, thats all I am saying...of course after re-signing Bertuzzi at too much money, I should have seen this coming...

NO QUINCEY!!! NO HUDLER!!! Please God! Please Holland! PLEASE!!!!

EDIT: Also, do you now realize what it's going to take to re-sign Filppula? He will get at least $5M...that is the problem here, (and not just Holland) keep overpaying and the NHL will go belly up... I honestly see a point where the guys making $500,000 today will be at $2M within a couple of years...Hey Minny, go ahead a give Parise the world, ruin the NHL (again.)

Edited by LeftWinger

Honestly, I was hoping for a more of a $1.5M Cap hit, I know he is a solid player and is good at what he does, but I just don't think he earned a raise over twice what he was payed last season...I guess we will see in 4 years if he is outplaying this $2.1M. It's not that he isn't worth it, it's just needed cap space to make this team better... If Holland overpays Quincey, I will have an ulcer... I hope he keeps Abby at a modest pay...I am hoping for $1.1, but after this, I am seeing $1.8M... sorry guys, not being negative, it's just needed cap space, or maybe sign the big UFA's first and then pay your guys a bit of a inflated contract, thats all I am saying...of course after re-signing Bertuzzi at too much money, I should have seen this coming...

NO QUINCEY!!! NO HUDLER!!! Please God! Please Holland! PLEASE!!!!

i would imagine you will get a bunch of minuses, but i actually do agree with your premise. i had hoped to see him stay at least under 2 mil. but when i do think about it, i think its a fair price for what he brings. i think he was a steal for what he made last year and this contract just brings him up to snuff. the reason i find it unfortunate though is that to win a cup you really need to have several value contracts. right now i just see helm as a neutral contract. though i am hoping in the last 2 years he becomes a steal again.

i would imagine you will get a bunch of minuses, but i actually do agree with your premise. i had hoped to see him stay at least under 2 mil. but when i do think about it, i think its a fair price for what he brings. i think he was a steal for what he made last year and this contract just brings him up to snuff. the reason i find it unfortunate though is that to win a cup you really need to have several value contracts. right now i just see helm as a neutral contract. though i am hoping in the last 2 years he becomes a steal again.

I hope I don't get a lot of negs. I was not calling it a bad signing, or that Helm is a bum and not worth it or that Holland should be fired. I was just hoping for less of a cap hit in order to make sure we have the cash to bid high of the players we need to change this team. I am glad Helm is going to be part of that and hope that he signs again in 4 years to a lifetime contract...I just hope that this trend doesn't continue with the overpayment (around the league) because like I said, it's going to ruin the NHL when the Colton Orr's are making $4M soon...

That being said, we still have $24M left to spend of Abby, Parise, Suter, Harding & Schultz & Dekeyser & Welsh...so far I haven't lost out on anyone from my wish list! (yet!)

Edited by LeftWinger

I hope I don't get a lot of negs. I was not calling it a bad signing, or that Helm is a bum and not worth it or that Holland should be fired. I was just hoping for less of a cap hit in order to make sure we have the cash to bid high of the players we need to change this team. I am glad Helm is going to be part of that and hope that he signs again in 4 years to a lifetime contract...I just hope that this trend doesn't continue with the overpayment (around the league) because like I said, it's going to ruin the NHL when the Colton Orr's are making $4M soon...

That being said, we still have $24M left to spend of Abby, Parise, Suter, Harding & Schultz & Dekeyser & Welsh...so far I haven't lost out on anyone from my wish list! (yet!)

Every little bit of cap space is going to count. You over pay a bit here n there, and you go from having a solid back up goalie to being stuck w a conklin again.

I do think Helm is worth every penny though. It is hard to find players that play as hard as he does every game. Having those types of players makes everyone (except Franzen i guess) want to play that much harder.

Its a good start Kenny. Keep up the good signings. :thumbup::clap:

Got that right.

He's still pretty young. If he develops his offensive game a bit, maybe he could be another Martin St Louis instead of another Kris Draper.

Pleas not another Draper....not that I didn't love drapes but when I would watch him get a big break away and thinking wow drapes is going to skate in and score...soon as he would cross the blue line no matter even if he was the only one there he would shoot it right after passing the line...never would try and skate in and deke...use to piss me off to no end. Me and a buddy of mine call that move the draper. When we would play NHL on pc together we always would play drapes like that...hahaha..slapper from the point on breakaways. hahaha

A little bias, because Helmer's my favorite guy on the squad, but I do think this is worth the signing. He has only gotten better, and unless becomes injury prone, I don't see why he will continue to do so over the next few years. Maybe not huge numbers, but the guy busts his ass every night, does he not? Teams benefit from players like that. :thumb up:

Edit: Reply is #43 !!! It's meant to be!!! :lol:

Edited by Ram

Guest Johnz96

Harding's been signed