No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Darren Helm signs 4 year extension

Rate this topic

Great news! :thumbup:

Talks with Abdelkader and Quincey ongoing:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/06/red_wings_62.html

The Red Wings made qualifying offers to forward Justin Abdelkader and defenseman Kyle Quincey, who can become restricted free agents on July 1.

“They've got arbitration rights,'' Holland said. “It's a process. We'll eventually find a solution. But right now we continue to talk.''

The club and Abdelkader have discussed a four-year deal. It likely will be worth slightly less than $2 million per season. Quincey is sure to get a raise from his $3.25 million salary.

Oh poo on Harding...oh well $1.9M was more than I would have given him anyway. Kenny says he wants a backup without health issues, wonder who he is going to go after?

Again, for you weirdo's out there, I am not calling Holland out or saying Helm isn't worth the money, just wish they could have kept it a little lower, to have more to offer the big names...thats all...I am glad he is here for the next 4 years...

Edited by LeftWinger

What is the news on Quincey?

I cannot believe I got -7 on that first post...I didn't say anything negative except I wish the Cap hit was less...sheesh fickle fans!

Yeah, and I wish every player on the team signed for less than 4 million.

A 2 million dollar cap hit for a guy who will be entering his prime as an amazing bottom sixer is a good deal. Hell, you should be calling it as steal considering he makes half as much as Johan Franzen. :lol:

Yeah, and I wish every player on the team signed for less than 4 million.

A 2 million dollar cap hit for a guy who will be entering his prime as an amazing bottom sixer is a good deal. Hell, you should be calling it as steal considering he makes half as much as Johan Franzen. :lol:

Ya, its a good deal that he will definitely out perform, I was just hoping for a bit more modest raise, OR sign the big names first, then hand out the bonuses... I am all for having Helm here for the next 4 years...I, on the other hand, am not all for paying Val $5M+ when he is due up next year...and that is what this signing is going to directly lead to. Especially if Hudler gets $5M...and if Holland gives it to Hudler then I will have a fit...

Good stuff.The kids are locked,now let's be active on the free agency :thumbup:

What kids? Just Helm, Abby is still unsigned and I hope Quincey isn't...ever.

Oh poo on Harding...oh well $1.9M was more than I would have given him anyway. Kenny says he wants a backup without health issues, wonder who he is going to go after?

Again, for you weirdo's out there, I am not calling Holland out or saying Helm isn't worth the money, just wish they could have kept it a little lower, to have more to offer the big names...thats all...I am glad he is here for the next 4 years...

For Helm, anything lower than 2.5 is pretty good, especially for four years. But I agree with you, don't want to overpay for Abby and Quincey. Abby around 1.5 would be OK with me and Quincey for less than 3.75. Have a feeling both will be paid a little more though.

Is there any reports on how Helm is doing after the surgery? I just wonder if it will be an issue...

Last I heard was cast off, expected to make full recovery on time. Will work on getting strength back in his arm this summer. :thumbup:

Forums are so damn funny. First glad helm is back. very good checker. But a month ago I said, and I quote "it is going to take around 8 million per season to resign Helm, Abdelkader, and Quincey". Everyone on this forum, and I do mean everyone said I was nuts. no way that was going to happen. Now after the first signing, its all "great deal" or "should be a bargin in 2-3 years" etc....

Edited by Richdg

Things you know you will always get with Darren Helm:

1) Speed.

2) He will outwork anyone on the ice for either team.

3) He will kill penalties.

4) He will score the occasional goal.

Yes, 4 years for 2 million is a no-brainer for me. Helm has made himself untouchable on this team.

Things you know you will always get with Darren Helm:

1) Speed.

2) He will outwork anyone on the ice for either team.

3) He will kill penalties.

4) He will score the occasional goal.

Yes, 4 years for 2 million is a no-brainer for me. Helm has made himself untouchable on this team.

Untouchabe? That is a little much. Yes good checkers are always needed. But so are stars that can take your team to the promised land. A team of stars isn't going to get it done, nor is aa team fo checkers. But there are packages where helm could be moved. But we are talking about picking up stars. If the pens were to offer us Staal for helm and others, I would do it in a heartbeat. No, I am not saying we can do that, but as an example it mkes the point.

Last I heard was cast off, expected to make full recovery on time. Will work on getting strength back in his arm this summer. :thumbup:

That is good to hear... Was thinking, seems to be a little high for what he signed if there was any uncertainty on his recovery.

Forums are so damn funny. First glad helm is back. very good checker. But a month ago I said, and I quote "it is going to take around 8 million per season to resign Helm, Abdelkader, and Quincey". Everyone on this forum, and I do mean everyone said I was nuts. no way that was going to happen. Now after the first signing, its all "great deal" or "should be a bargin in 2-3 years" etc....

There were many reasons people thought you were nuts...saying Helm was going to cost 2 million a year was far from one of them.

Excellent deal for both Helm and the Red Wings going forward. If Helm can just improve his scoring touch -- in addition to everything else he already excels at on the ice -- this contract will look like a steal down the road. I couldn't agree more with Holland in saying Helm is a perfect third line center. The Red Wings (specifically the bottom six forwards) are a different group when Helm is healthy. His energy, speed and tenacity on the forecheck can't be matched.

Sounds like everything is going well in Helm's recovery too. Hopefully the same is true with Eaves. Would love to see those two on a line with Miller causing chaos next season.

Ya, its a good deal that he will definitely out perform, I was just hoping for a bit more modest raise, OR sign the big names first, then hand out the bonuses... I am all for having Helm here for the next 4 years...I, on the other hand, am not all for paying Val $5M+ when he is due up next year...and that is what this signing is going to directly lead to. Especially if Hudler gets $5M...and if Holland gives it to Hudler then I will have a fit...

What kids? Just Helm, Abby is still unsigned and I hope Quincey isn't...ever.

If Flip has another season like last year, he's going to get $5m. Honestly all you people moaning about too much money for this and that contract - heads up guys, its not 2005 anymore! The going rate for players has gone up!!

Great signing for Helm, guy busts his ass for us every night.

Untouchabe? That is a little much. Yes good checkers are always needed. But so are stars that can take your team to the promised land. A team of stars isn't going to get it done, nor is aa team fo checkers. But there are packages where helm could be moved. But we are talking about picking up stars. If the pens were to offer us Staal for helm and others, I would do it in a heartbeat. No, I am not saying we can do that, but as an example it mkes the point.

You yourself just said you need that balance. I can't think of many players in the league in similar roles as Helm who can keep up with him. It's not just his speed, he's run entire plays by himself. In pressure situation he almost always makes the right play, and he has been known to draw three players to him and still keep possession down behind the opponent's goal. You can't easily replace that. He's not just a checker. He's a premiere checker in my book. Untouchable.