• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

I hope I don't get a lot of negs. I was not calling it a bad signing, or that Helm is a bum and not worth it or that Holland should be fired. I was just hoping for less of a cap hit in order to make sure we have the cash to bid high of the players we need to change this team. I am glad Helm is going to be part of that and hope that he signs again in 4 years to a lifetime contract...I just hope that this trend doesn't continue with the overpayment (around the league) because like I said, it's going to ruin the NHL when the Colton Orr's are making $4M soon...

That being said, we still have $24M left to spend of Abby, Parise, Suter, Harding & Schultz & Dekeyser & Welsh...so far I haven't lost out on anyone from my wish list! (yet!)

Every little bit of cap space is going to count. You over pay a bit here n there, and you go from having a solid back up goalie to being stuck w a conklin again.

I do think Helm is worth every penny though. It is hard to find players that play as hard as he does every game. Having those types of players makes everyone (except Franzen i guess) want to play that much harder.

Its a good start Kenny. Keep up the good signings. :thumbup: :clap:

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#42 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Got that right.

He's still pretty young. If he develops his offensive game a bit, maybe he could be another Martin St Louis instead of another Kris Draper.

Pleas not another Draper....not that I didn't love drapes but when I would watch him get a big break away and thinking wow drapes is going to skate in and score...soon as he would cross the blue line no matter even if he was the only one there he would shoot it right after passing the line...never would try and skate in and deke...use to piss me off to no end. Me and a buddy of mine call that move the draper. When we would play NHL on pc together we always would play drapes like that...hahaha..slapper from the point on breakaways. hahaha
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#43 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

A little bias, because Helmer's my favorite guy on the squad, but I do think this is worth the signing. He has only gotten better, and unless becomes injury prone, I don't see why he will continue to do so over the next few years. Maybe not huge numbers, but the guy busts his ass every night, does he not? Teams benefit from players like that. :thumb up:

Edit: Reply is #43 !!! It's meant to be!!! :lol:

Edited by Ram, 19 June 2012 - 12:48 PM.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#44 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I hope I don't get a lot of negs. I was not calling it a bad signing, or that Helm is a bum and not worth it or that Holland should be fired. I was just hoping for less of a cap hit in order to make sure we have the cash to bid high of the players we need to change this team. I am glad Helm is going to be part of that and hope that he signs again in 4 years to a lifetime contract...I just hope that this trend doesn't continue with the overpayment (around the league) because like I said, it's going to ruin the NHL when the Colton Orr's are making $4M soon...

That being said, we still have $24M left to spend of Abby, Parise, Suter, Harding & Schultz & Dekeyser & Welsh...so far I haven't lost out on anyone from my wish list! (yet!)

Harding's been signed

#45 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Harding's been signed

20 minutes AFTER LeftWinger posted the quoted post...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#46 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Very good signing. He's going to get you 25 points or more while being an excellent pker and a tenacious forechecker. Good signing Kenny!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#47 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thank You Kenny !

#48 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

20 minutes AFTER LeftWinger posted the quoted post...

I wasn't correcting or criticising,... just sayin

#49 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am happy!

Four years is definitely worth the extra 100k or so. I have a feeling that in a couple of years this will be considered one of the best contracts on the team.
Posted Image

#50 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

For the few who may not quite get the Danger Zone reference, the JLA plays Highway to the Danger Zone every time Helm scores because one of his nicknames in the locker room is Danger obviously because of his speed.

#51 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm happy as well. :P Good Tuesday news :thumbup:

#52 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Great news! :thumbup:

Talks with Abdelkader and Quincey ongoing:
http://www.mlive.com...d_wings_62.html

The Red Wings made qualifying offers to forward Justin Abdelkader and defenseman Kyle Quincey, who can become restricted free agents on July 1.

“They've got arbitration rights,'' Holland said. “It's a process. We'll eventually find a solution. But right now we continue to talk.''

The club and Abdelkader have discussed a four-year deal. It likely will be worth slightly less than $2 million per season. Quincey is sure to get a raise from his $3.25 million salary.

#53 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Great Deal!!! Very Reasonable price. I'd have him in the $1.8-2.2 Million range.

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan, 19 June 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#54 taxijim

taxijim

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Congratulations Helmer.....you can't put a value to what this guy brings to the team......HEART.....never takes a shift off.......St.Andrews, Manitoba is very proud & happy for you !!

#55 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

leftwinger will not like the news about quincey :blush:
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#56 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

leftwinger will not like the news about quincey :blush:

What is the news on Quincey?

I cannot believe I got -7 on that first post...I didn't say anything negative except I wish the Cap hit was less...sheesh fickle fans!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Oh poo on Harding...oh well $1.9M was more than I would have given him anyway. Kenny says he wants a backup without health issues, wonder who he is going to go after?

Again, for you weirdo's out there, I am not calling Holland out or saying Helm isn't worth the money, just wish they could have kept it a little lower, to have more to offer the big names...thats all...I am glad he is here for the next 4 years...

Edited by LeftWinger, 19 June 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#58 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Good stuff.The kids are locked,now let's be active on the free agency :thumbup:

#59 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

This is the best news. Welcome back "Danger"!

#60 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

What is the news on Quincey?

I cannot believe I got -7 on that first post...I didn't say anything negative except I wish the Cap hit was less...sheesh fickle fans!

Yeah, and I wish every player on the team signed for less than 4 million.

A 2 million dollar cap hit for a guy who will be entering his prime as an amazing bottom sixer is a good deal. Hell, you should be calling it as steal considering he makes half as much as Johan Franzen. :lol:

Posted Image