• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tim.D

2012 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Rate this topic

i like the frk and mckee picks as well as the potential of bodin ....good draft day considering we dealt our 19th pick id say ... not sold on athanasiou being a player but overall pleased

To me, the most intriguing pick is Athanasiou given what's been said of the kid's speed & skill. Discipline & hard work can be taught, natural speed & skill can't. If there's a player the Wings drafted this year that will be known as the steal of his draft class, I think he could be it.

Scouting video here: http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=181614

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest Heaten

Holland didn't pick any defensemen?

To me, the most intriguing pick is Athanasiou given what's been said of the kid's speed & skill. Discipline & hard work can be taught, natural speed & skill can't. If there's a player the Wings drafted this year that will be known as the steal of his draft class, I think he could be it.

Yeah I am more excited about Athanasiou than I am about Frk, honestly. He looks like he could be a solid 3rd liner someday. Perhaps DRWs will have one of the fastest lines in the NHL again =D

Edited by Heaten

Just got back from the draft. My son and I didn't get Stevie to autograph his birth certificate, but we got to see the Stanley Cup, had custom made Upper Deck cards of us and NHL posted our picture on Twitter! Al in all it was a pretty awesome day!

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/216538636982812672/photo/1

A few hours ago this is what a Flyers beat writer tweeted:

Randy Miller@RandyJMiller

Here at NHL Draft hearing Suter is going to sign with Detroit and Parise will go to Penguins #Flyers

If we can get Suter and Semin I would definitely not be disappointed... Don't get me wrong I would prefer Parise. But we'll see, should be fun.

A 7th round swedish pick that 'only' Hakan heard of...got to be a steal lol

A huge player with great strength and reach. Has a cannon of a shot. Works hard. Surprisingly mobile for a player of his great stature. Very raw. Project. (EP 2012) Yeah, I think this is a good pick when you see the words Works hard, mobile, great stature, Very Raw, and Project with a Red Wing. See you in six years Bodin. Also, Great name.

My overall impression of the draft on D-Day is that I think we for the most part left our past draft strategy behind, which would scare me if I didn't think we were fully stocked. I keep wondering how we can keep all these players around, so some variety in strategy is nice. Our first pick in the second round was about as good as our fourth rounder in Teemu, which scares me. I think the goalie was a good safe pick. I like the size though I wonder if it will overcome the skill of our smaller prospects.

I am interested to see them play so I can figure out where they fit in the future. I don't think we did great, but I do think we did okay. Even with Quincey added to this draft, it feels weak. Though I suspect Bodin will be a solid player for us.

A few hours ago this is what a Flyers beat writer tweeted:

Randy Miller@RandyJMiller

Here at NHL Draft hearing Suter is going to sign with Detroit and Parise will go to Penguins #Flyers

If we can get Suter and Semin I would definitely not be disappointed... Don't get me wrong I would prefer Parise. But we'll see, should be fun.

Of the two, I would prefer Parise as well, but the Wings needs at this point dictate Suter signing is more imperative. I have my fingers crossed.

Of the two, I would prefer Parise as well, but the Wings needs at this point dictate Suter signing is more imperative. I have my fingers crossed.

Ya, well if Pit gets Parise, then they definitely have upgraded themselves pretty good. I also agree that Suter is priority 1. We will see who signs first and then see if it's true they want to play together for real.... I also agree that signing Suter and Semin is better than just Suter or just Parise and you never know, Semin may be better here than Parise...it's all a gamble! I would still like to acquire Bobby Ryan somehow....

EDIT: honestly, I don't know how much of an upgrade Parise is to Staal, but no doubt they have to replace Staal and Parise is a winger, so that helps Crysby out...If we can score Suter & Semin, I all for a Stanley Cup rubber match!

Also, there is still that outside chance of Doan or Smyth...I know they are lifers, but one season to go for it all would be a chance maybe they couldn't resist!?!?

Edited by LeftWinger

Ya, well if Pit gets Parise, then they definitely have upgraded themselves pretty good. I also agree that Suter is priority 1. We will see who signs first and then see if it's true they want to play together for real.... I also agree that signing Suter and Semin is better than just Suter or just Parise and you never know, Semin may be better here than Parise...it's all a gamble! I would still like to acquire Bobby Ryan somehow....

EDIT: honestly, I don't know how much of an upgrade Parise is to Staal, but no doubt they have to replace Staal and Parise is a winger, so that helps Crysby out...If we can score Suter & Semin, I all for a Stanley Cup rubber match!

They already got Staal's replacement as their 3rd line center in Brandon Sutter. Staal ultimately was over qualified to be stuck in the 3rd line imo & Sutter will be a serviceable replacement. IF they do get Parise, Shero just pulled a major upgrade as he'll have another legitimate, top-line winger to pair with either Cindy or Geno.

come on Holland. Do something. Pittsburgh is getting stronger while we are still stagnant. Need a goal scorer and a solid 1st pair d-man.

What Kenny could do:

Bring back Hudler as top six forward

Bring back for the 2nd tour Sammy as the RW top six forward

Bring back for the 2nd tour Lilja to play with Kronwall

I don't know why but for the some reasons Holland loves to bring people for the 2nd tour...

They already got Staal's replacement as their 3rd line center in Brandon Sutter. Staal ultimately was over qualified to be stuck in the 3rd line imo & Sutter will be a serviceable replacement. IF they do get Parise, Shero just pulled a major upgrade as he'll have another legitimate, top-line winger to pair with either Cindy or Geno.

And they can add Suter without any problems now that Zbynek is gone.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-entry-draft-rumors-part-one-june-23-2012/

NBC SPORTS PRO HOCKEY TALK: Joe Yerdon cited a “tweet” from Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi claiming Penguins GM Ray Shero, after trading away Jordan Staal, contacted Nashville Predators GM David Poile to discuss the rights of pending UFA blueliner Ryan Suter. Poile, however, isn’t trading Suter’s rights as he hopes to re-sign him.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: It appears Shero has moved away from Suter to Phoenix’s Keith Yandle, though his dealing Zbynek Michalek back to the Coyotes last night could instead signal he’s clearing cap space to take a serious run at Suter via the UFA market on July 1.

Report: Penguins to make play for Zach Parise

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/22/of-course-the-penguins-are-after-ryan-suter-too/#/2012/06/22/report-penguins-to-make-play-for-zach-parise/

What Kenny could do:

Bring back Hudler as top six forward

Bring back for the 2nd tour Sammy as the RW top six forward

Bring back for the 2nd tour Lilja to play with Kronwall

I don't know why but for the some reasons Holland loves to bring people for the 2nd tour...

And they can add Suter without any problems now that Zbynek is gone.

http://spectorshocke...e-june-23-2012/

NBC SPORTS PRO HOCKEY TALK: Joe Yerdon cited a “tweet” from Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi claiming Penguins GM Ray Shero, after trading away Jordan Staal, contacted Nashville Predators GM David Poile to discuss the rights of pending UFA blueliner Ryan Suter. Poile, however, isn’t trading Suter’s rights as he hopes to re-sign him.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: It appears Shero has moved away from Suter to Phoenix’s Keith Yandle, though his dealing Zbynek Michalek back to the Coyotes last night could instead signal he’s clearing cap space to take a serious run at Suter via the UFA market on July 1.

Report: Penguins to make play for Zach Parise

http://prohockeytalk...or-zach-parise/

The thing is, Pit only has $14M in cap space and if they both signed there it would make 12 forwards and 5 defensemen. I am sure it is going to cost at least $7M each, so that would leave an incomplete team...I am sure they still want to re-sign Matt Niskanen and he is an RFA who made $1.5M last season...not unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat and get them for $6M each.... seriously, I will be done with the whole damn thing if this happens....I rather centcougartown be right and have them both go to Minny...

If f****** Pittsburgh ends up with Suter AND Parise, I am done, I am jumping off the proverbial bridge....

How the hell can they afford all this? I can't stand the Pens but they have done an amazing job, Crosby, Malkin, Sutter down the middle and 2 solid first round picks this year.

If f****** Pittsburgh ends up with Suter AND Parise, I am done, I am jumping off the proverbial bridge....

Suter already said he won't play in the East. They're obviously clearing space for a big splash, but Suter won't be their big splash.

We just drafted a heavyweight fighter in Mike McKee.

Hopefully he can pan out. Watched a few vids of him. Seems like he can throw em. Question is, can he play?

Suter already said he won't play in the East. They're obviously clearing space for a big splash, but Suter won't be their big splash.

Gosh, I hope you are right! I just need Holland to stand by his words this weekend...he didn't today, but maybe the asking prices were too high...no biggie. I just don't want to hear those famous words..."We kicked the tires...." AT LEAST SUTER AND SEMIN or this off season will be a bust...I think even with just Suter, he still needs upgrades up front...Doan please?

Gosh, I hope you are right! I just need Holland to stand by his words this weekend...he didn't today, but maybe the asking prices were too high...no biggie. I just don't want to hear those famous words..."We kicked the tires...." AT LEAST SUTER AND SEMIN or this off season will be a bust...I think even with just Suter, he still needs upgrades up front...Doan please?

I'm not surprised at all that he hasn't done anything. The asking prices always seem to be too high. If you don't like Hudler, you're not gonna like Semin. If we sign him, hopefully the change of scenery can help him. Haven't heard much about Doan lately. Can't imagine him in a sweater other than a Phoenix sweater.

Ya, well if Pit gets Parise, then they definitely have upgraded themselves pretty good. I also agree that Suter is priority 1. We will see who signs first and then see if it's true they want to play together for real.... I also agree that signing Suter and Semin is better than just Suter or just Parise and you never know, Semin may be better here than Parise...it's all a gamble! I would still like to acquire Bobby Ryan somehow...

I don't see the Pens having upgraded themselves by just acquiring Parise. They're defense was shredded in the playoffs and Fleury melted down. They need to improve on defense and losing Jordan Staal and Michalek doesn't look like improvement to me. Suter is their best option and unless he changes his mind about playing in the East, that isn't going to happen.

Honestly, I could see the Pens getting a Ray Whitney and/or Shane Doan, maybe Michael Rozival or Matt Carle. The amount of free agents they have next year combined with the number of holes they have now on defense, I don't think blowing a ton of cap space on one player is a wise move.

The "rumor" about Suter not playing in the east is coming from Minny...

Ryan Suter's agent denies that he's supplied a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to

http://m.startribune.com/sports/?id=159195455

http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/blog/kim-pollock/philadelphia-flyers/suters-list-potential-teams-does-not-exist-according-report

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/330993?eref=twitter_feed

Rasmus Bodin is 6'6" and 207lbs. at 18 years old? Says he had to quit hitting because his elbows are head level with the smaller Swedish players and he always gets penalties....I can see this kid being the dark horse of the draft..seriously. Get him over here ASAP and get him in GR to get used to North American play...I like the size and assets this kid brings...this kid won't sit for 5 years, no way! Once he plays with some other big players he will have no issues hitting!

A huge player with great strength and reach. Has a cannon of a shot. Works hard. Surprisingly mobile for a player of his great stature. Very raw. Project. - Elite Hockey Prospects http://eliteprospect...hp?player=40853

The "rumor" about Suter not playing in the east is coming from Minny...

Ryan Suter's agent denies that he's supplied a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to

http://m.startribune...s/?id=159195455

http://flyers.theche...ccording-report

http://www.fannation...ef=twitter_feed

I just have to say....behind Suter there is no legit #1 level defender, so Holland has to throw all the marbles at Suter...Chelios needs to be inviting him over for dinner EVERY night and selling this team! Iltich himself needs to send a private jet to pick Suter up and get him ANYTHING he wants to be a Detroit Red Wing....Holland BETTER outbid everyone! I will sacrifice Parise to guarantee Suter is wrapped up for at least 10 years! Give him a front loaded contract, bonuses, stock in Little Ceasers, give him an A, or s*** go right for the C, build a new stadium and name it the Suterdome....whatever it takes Holland! WHATEVER IT TAKES!

Edited by LeftWinger

I agree with you 1000% but in the same time, the best replacement for Lids (if there is any) is Kronwall...

I'm wondering who is the better option for Kronwall, Suter or Weber?

Suter is playing on the same L side as Kronwall... imo Weber is better fit for Kronwall.