• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

evilzyme

Top Swiss-leaguer Brunner to sign with Wings, Babcock has big plans

Rate this topic

Ted Kulfan@tkulfan

Red Wings may have signed Swiss goal-scorer Damien Brunner...is he the next coming of Filppula's older brother?

Or Leino for that matter.

Willing to give the guy a chance though but I think he will have to prove himself in the AHL first.

I think so too. I don't think the Wings will give a player with no North-American experience 2nd or 3rd line minutes right out of the gate.

I'm not so sure he goes to the AHL first. I'm skeptical that he can actually become a consistent secondary scorer, but as people said it's low risk high reward, right?

But the Wings are in such an awful crunch right now that there's not really time to let a 26 year old develop in the AHL for a season or two. We need the scoring, and he may be a replacement for Hudler if he doesn't re-sign. There's just not a lot of options. I say he gets the green light right off the bat, and whether or not he stays depends on his success.

I know that Holland's style is to send him to the minors first, but I just have a feeling they break with tradition this off-season.

Edited by VM1138

Unless he's terrible during the preseason, I think he needs to be on the big club from the start. You can't take a 26 year old scoring champion of another league, that multiple teams wanted and put him in the minors. That would really affect our ability to sign other players like this in the future knowing that they'll probably be sent to the AHL if they sign with Detroit. I don't see a problem giving him at least 4th line minutes.

Unless he's terrible during the preseason, I think he needs to be on the big club from the start. You can't take a 26 year old scoring champion of another league, that multiple teams wanted and put him in the minors. That would really affect our ability to sign other players like this in the future knowing that they'll probably be sent to the AHL if they sign with Detroit. I don't see a problem giving him at least 4th line minutes.

definately!

this would send a message to all the future talent overseas. wings promote on talent! not time served.

I'm sure he learned from the Fabian Brunnstrom ordeal & wants to earn his way onto an NHL roster instead of being handed a spot immediately, which he easily could have done signing just about anywhere else. For Kenny's next step: Now paging Justin Schultz. Paging Justin Schultz. Please pick up the nearest red courtesy telephone...

Which at the very least could knock down Hudler's price a bit if the Wings re-sign him.

Which is a major bonus. Hudler was solid for notching goals a little more regularly than the average Joe and his Shootout skills were helpful. Perhaps this kid has the touch to do the same but for far less.

Not even to mention the fact that his speed will help make up for early-NHL career mistakes that are bound to happen.

As has been mentioned....low-risk, high-reward scenario here.

Best thing about this guy - he shoots right handed.

I dunno, I think the best part is he's a no risk signing. The Wings don't have to give up assets to aquire him or promise him a roster spot (two-way contract).

I'm swiss and I know Brunner very well. He has been the best player for the last couple of seasons. Apparently, he has a very good work ethic and he is a good finisher too.

The gap between NHL and Swiss National Leaugue is big, but he has great skating abilites and he is fast with the puck. He never had problems playing against physical teams.

MLive and Detnews say that Brunner will sign with the Wings, but Swiss sites are more neutral (as Switzerland is : ) ). We have to way a couple of days before knowing if he is going to sign. Apparently, he is not allowed to talk to the media because he still have a contract with Zug (until july 1st).

I'll let you know!

You have no idea how much I needed some good news right now. It went from Lidstrom retiring to losing my grandmother to a ticket from the cops. I need more things like this to bring this summer back from the brink of ruinous, or the year for that matter.

I hope this kid reaches his full potential and helps us usher in a new era of young superstars.

Who knows if he'll be a regular but in a probable lockout world he could look like a smart signing on the other side of the lockout

I don't think a lockout is likely.

With Nyquist coming up to the big leagues next season, we needed another young guy to step in as the #1 scorer down there. From what i've heard, this guy is it. Then after this season, if he excels, who knows.

With Nyquist coming up to the big leagues next season, we needed another young guy to step in as the #1 scorer down in Grand Rapids. From what i've heard, this guy is it. Then after this season, if he excels, who knows.