• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

evilzyme

Top Swiss-leaguer Brunner to sign with Wings, Babcock has big plans

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Hmm....WHAT? :dance:

I have no idea what he's going demand. Looked it up, found nothing. He's going to be the second most coveted free agent defenseman, isn't he? What's that command?

I love you guys lol. I was actually in the middle of putting together a cap geek spread, but my ride pulled in.

...almost 4 mil left in cap space with this glorious roster too

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($5.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,617,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,682,955

Schultz won't make 5 mil, but other than that these are pretty good.

I have no idea what he's going demand. Looked it up, found nothing. He's going to be the second most coveted free agent defenseman, isn't he? What's that command?

I think there is a limit and it is under 1 mil. Anyone know the real number?

Edit: From a Hockey News article:

"The thing about Schultz is that money will not be the issue here. Every team that makes an offer on him will do so knowing it will have to absorb a $3.8 million salary cap hit next season - $925,000 in base salary, $850,000 in signing bonus and $2 million in performance bonuses – on a three-year deal."

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Ok...here is my $70M roster including Brunner (dunno what his salary will be, so I just put $1M to be safe) and my above proposed week of ecstasy with acquiring Ryan (Schultz) along with scoring Suter/Parise....

I traded away Franzen, Mursak, Emmerton & Kindl...not all for Ryan, but I got rid of these guys none-the-less... Of course I am still adamant about siging DeKeyser and Welsh, So until it DOESN'T happen then I will continue to post it! :lol: I now have put Montoya as Howard's back-up...

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($8.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)

Damien Brunner ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jeremy Welsh ($1.100m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($8.000m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Justin Schultz ($1.100m)

Danny DeKeyser ($0.825m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Al Montoya ($1.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,070,833; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,229,167

Ryan would cost at least Filppula/Franzen + Nyquist/Smith + 2nd.

(Off-topic, sorry.)

His skillset is useless to be buried on gthe 4th line dump and chasing - and at 26 its sink or swim time. We cant afford to "groom" him in the AHL for a year or two just to bring him up to ride pine. This guy the the skillset of an NHL players and very well could succeed and put up respectable numbers playing with Pav or Z. At the same time he could get crushed into dust and lose his confidence inside of the first month. Hell be given enough rope to hang himself - and if he doesnt fit, hell be snipped by December. Give the guy a shot, I like what I see.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Filpula-Zetterberg-Brunner

*if we get a Parise or Semin then bump Franzen or Nyquist back to the 3rd line with Helm and Bert.

Better yet, trade Francine for a player that cares enough for his teamates to put forth an effort.

Man, Babcock is sure taking a lot of heat on the comment section of that MLive article. Really unfair I think. I don't remember him ever saying Brunnstrom and Nyquist were going to play the Top 6 straight upon their arrival. I remember him saying Nyquist will one day be a top 6, but not necessarily at that moment.

I dare to get my hopes up on this Brunner experiment.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I don`t like awarding a top 6 spot to a guy who has never played in the NHL before. However I recall when Franzen came over from Sweden he had a guaranteed spot as well and stepped right in. Babs knows alot more than me so if he likes him then he must be a decent player at least. Right? I still want Parise and Prust.

I don`t like awarding a top 6 spot to a guy who has never played in the NHL before. However I recall when Franzen came over from Sweden he had a guaranteed spot as well and stepped right in. Babs knows alot more than me so if he likes him then he must be a decent player at least. Right? I still want Parise and Prust.

Franzen played 3rd and 4th line minutes the first 2 years. Guaranteed a spot? What?

Guest Hatethedrake!

Franzen never played a game in the AHL. He came over from Sweden and stepped right into the line-up. I remember when Holland signed him that Kenny said he would be on the team. If that isn't a guaranteed spot then I don't know what is.

There are high hopes and expectations due to the fact we need more offense even if Hudler was to stay (he is more than likely gone).

Realistically, we need a top 6 forward or two... Unless Kenny gets Parise or someone else of equal caliber, Brunner will be scrutinized heavily.

The guy may need a season to adjust and see how things turn out... Don't put all your eggs into one basket folks if he doesn't become the next Teemu or Stamkos.

Guest blueadams

"I stood in the hall and let him walk by me," Babcock said.

:lol:, what does that mean??

There were a ton of gem babcock quotes in that article lol. He was talking about scouting him (watching him all week - in games and practice) around this point. So I'm guessing it just means that he saw him up close and personal, sized him up.

And/or looked him in the eye lol

Guest blueadams

I'm leaning towards the high-end on all of these signings. Parise - 8mil. Suter - 8 mil. Schultz - 3.8 mil (if that report is correct, that's the max). Brunner - 2 mil (no idea, but I think his contract is restricted too, and that's probably more than the max). Abdelkader - 1.5 mil (more than he deserves).

And there's STILL left-over cap space.

This might actually happen.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($8.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($8.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Justin Schultz ($3.800m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,917,045; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,382,955

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($5.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

Blue, blue, blue... You've done enough of these, it's like you live on capgeek, that it should be instinctual by now that all entry level contracts are capped. Have to give you a finger wag on the slip up. Come on blue, you're better than that! :no:

The thing is, he's not really awarding him a spot. It's just something he said to a reporter. Probably in part to boost the guy's confidence, show his faith in him, and maybe guard against Holland wanting to bury him in the minors.

Once the season starts he may get a shot at the top six but he's gonna have to earn it to stay there.

Why is anyone mad about what Babs said? Its not like the lines are set in stone.

So he plays the first 5 games in the top 6... if he doesn't work out there, the lines WILL be shuffled. That's how Babcock works.

I highly, highly doubt this means the Wings are done with forwards in free agency.

The National Hockey League does not have a salary cap of any sort, but the existing NHL CBA contains clauses that limit the minimum compensation for all players and the maximum entry-level compensation for players under the age of 25. Article 9 of the NHL CBA limits the maximum yearly compensation for rookies to just over $1 million in salary and 50% of that in signing, reporting and roster bonuses. Performance bonuses are not affected. After a length of time determined by the age of the player when the first contract was signed (not exceeding three years) the limits come off. I hope this to do away with talks of paying a rookie 5mil a year...crazy.

Edited by Hey man nice shot!

The National Hockey League does not have a salary cap of any sort, but the existing NHL CBA contains clauses that limit the minimum compensation for all players and the maximum entry-level compensation for players under the age of 25. Article 9 of the NHL CBA limits the maximum yearly compensation for rookies to just over $1 million in salary and 50% of that in signing, reporting and roster bonuses. Performance bonuses are not affected. After a length of time determined by the age of the player when the first contract was signed (not exceeding three years) the limits come off. I hope this to do away with talks of paying a rookie 5mil a year...crazy.

Minor corrections:

ELC max is $925,000 including signing bonus. "A" performance bonuses are capped at $850,000, and "B" capped at $2 million, for a total max cap hit of $3.775 million. There is also a cap on non-ELC salaries/bonuses. 20% of the team cap in the year the contract is signed.

I believe the info you quoted is from pre-lockout.

Edited by Buppy

Mark Streit was 28 when he came to the NHL. Like Brunner, he was the best swiss player in the swiss league at that time. Like Brunner, his lack of size and weight were criticized. But like Brunner, he made his reputation in the swiss league for his speed, his skills, his intelligence of play and his powerful wristshot.

Looking at what Mark Streit has done in the NHL makes me positive for Brunner to find his way to emerge as a regular NHLer. He's not the next Ovechkin or Stamkos, but I'm sure he can hit the 25 goal mark with a good playmaker centering him.