• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

It will be a 1-year, 2-way contract from the looks of it.

Just the way I like em.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#22 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Nice pick up, if we have in fact signed him. I'll be interested to see him play in the preseason and see how quickly he adjusts to our team. My only concern was his size, but on EliteProspects.com it says he's a "gritty" player. So maybe Helm with a better scoring touch?

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

But who would rather play with Dats and Z over Danyf****** Heatley? And of course Granlund, the next big thing in Minnesota...

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#24 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Great low-risk signing. Doesn't give Kenny permission to go golfing July 1st though. :no2:
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#25 Winterberg

Winterberg

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

He killed it in the playoffs this past year (9 games - 14 points), had two strong showings at The World Cup, and seems to play well at the international level in general. This is all based on stats, as I have never seen him play but I believe this signing will turn out very nice.

#26 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Best thing about this guy - he shoots right handed.

#27 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Absolutely. We were spoiled all those years having Yzerman, Shanahan or Hull play the left circle on the powerplay.

#28 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Low risk high reward. Im glad the Wings got another option but will hold off on getting excited until he shows how his game will translate to North American hockey.

#29 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Ted Kulfan@tkulfan

Red Wings may have signed Swiss goal-scorer Damien Brunner...is he the next coming of Filppula's older brother?

Or Leino for that matter.

Willing to give the guy a chance though but I think he will have to prove himself in the AHL first.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#30 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

"He's a Juri Hudler type of player, except with speed." :lol: Burn!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#31 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Ted Kulfan@tkulfan
Red Wings may have signed Swiss goal-scorer Damien Brunner...is he the next coming of Filppula's older brother?

Or Leino for that matter.

Willing to give the guy a chance though but I think he will have to prove himself in the AHL first.

I think so too. I don't think the Wings will give a player with no North-American experience 2nd or 3rd line minutes right out of the gate.

#32 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

I'm not so sure he goes to the AHL first. I'm skeptical that he can actually become a consistent secondary scorer, but as people said it's low risk high reward, right?

But the Wings are in such an awful crunch right now that there's not really time to let a 26 year old develop in the AHL for a season or two. We need the scoring, and he may be a replacement for Hudler if he doesn't re-sign. There's just not a lot of options. I say he gets the green light right off the bat, and whether or not he stays depends on his success.

I know that Holland's style is to send him to the minors first, but I just have a feeling they break with tradition this off-season.

Edited by VM1138, 22 June 2012 - 10:13 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#33 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Unless he's terrible during the preseason, I think he needs to be on the big club from the start. You can't take a 26 year old scoring champion of another league, that multiple teams wanted and put him in the minors. That would really affect our ability to sign other players like this in the future knowing that they'll probably be sent to the AHL if they sign with Detroit. I don't see a problem giving him at least 4th line minutes.

#34 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Unless he's terrible during the preseason, I think he needs to be on the big club from the start. You can't take a 26 year old scoring champion of another league, that multiple teams wanted and put him in the minors. That would really affect our ability to sign other players like this in the future knowing that they'll probably be sent to the AHL if they sign with Detroit. I don't see a problem giving him at least 4th line minutes.

definately!
this would send a message to all the future talent overseas. wings promote on talent! not time served.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#35 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Red Wings News Feed@RedWingsFeed

Report: Wings agree to terms with Swiss forward Damien Brunner: Detroit— The task... http://19FTW.in/1lj4Pr via @DetNews#NHL #RedWings

Expand

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

"He's a Juri Hudler type of player, except with speed." :lol: Burn!

esteef

Which at the very least could knock down Hudler's price a bit if the Wings re-sign him.

#37 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm sure he learned from the Fabian Brunnstrom ordeal & wants to earn his way onto an NHL roster instead of being handed a spot immediately, which he easily could have done signing just about anywhere else. For Kenny's next step: Now paging Justin Schultz. Paging Justin Schultz. Please pick up the nearest red courtesy telephone...

#38 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Which at the very least could knock down Hudler's price a bit if the Wings re-sign him.

Which is a major bonus. Hudler was solid for notching goals a little more regularly than the average Joe and his Shootout skills were helpful. Perhaps this kid has the touch to do the same but for far less.

Not even to mention the fact that his speed will help make up for early-NHL career mistakes that are bound to happen.

As has been mentioned....low-risk, high-reward scenario here.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#39 LidstromIsASuperhero

LidstromIsASuperhero

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Watching his hightlights i am most impressed by his ability to get that shot off in tight. He will need that because he isn't gonna have as much room to work in the nhl.

#40 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

I dunno, I think the best part is he's a no risk signing. The Wings don't have to give up assets to aquire him or promise him a roster spot (two-way contract).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft