• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings 2012 Round 4 Selection- Andreas Athanasiou

Rate this topic

Sick!!

Hunter will develop this guy nicely.

i'm pretty sure a couple bigger name players are moving on from the Knights this year too so he may be in more of a spotlight this season. i like to hear that he's really fast. could be another mid round gem like Tvrdon.

Needs to add some beef though. 165 lbs could be a typo, but a little muscle without losing speed and he's a nice pick it seems.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

Jurco2. Great hands, fast, can score, but he is small and needs to work on his defensive zone play. He also thinks he needs to work on his shot.

Here a quote from this article:

When talking about Athanasiou’s game, it begins and ends with speed. One of the faster players in the draft, he has the type of top end speed that kills. He’s also very dynamic offensively with slick hands and is a tremendous stickhandler, which has drawn comparisons to another CHL player who was in a similar situation to him a year ago and the Sea Dogs Tomas Jurco. In fact Athanasiou did a similar stickhandling and trick shot video to that of the Red Wings 2010 draftee (see video section below).

Thanks for posting! Very excited about this pick. I'm sure he has tons of holes in his game but if you're going to miss in round 4, miss on a guy who has some elite skills and almost endless upside if he puts it together.

I can think of a lot of "speed only" guys who entered the league and developed their other skills enough to become serviceable NHLers - Helm, Dandienault, Joe Juneau, Maxim Afinogenov....

I remember seeing a list somewhere that ranked him in the top-5 earlier this year. He could be a crazy-good steal.

How in the hell did this kid fall to the 4th round?? Then again, Frk fell to pick 49 and he looks like a nice pick. I'm definitely liking what Kenny did in the draft this year. Those 2 and even McKee who looks like and angry federal inmate ready to punish all who cross the blue line. Can't wait to watch this kid develop more and hopefully see him at the WJC.

Here's a couple lists that have him in the first round, and here is Craig Button's final ranking that has him at #60.

So once again....how the hell did this kid go in the 4th round?? Considering the Wings didn't have a 1st round pick, Kenny impressed big time at the draft with the picks and you gotta give kudos to the scouts for giving him a nice list of steals for draft day.