• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

Ya if it came down to it and Holland had to, trade Abby & Quincey..especially if he signs a Moen or Prust. I think even Gausted would be an upgrade to Abby (more expensive, but indeed an upgrade) Besides if Holland cannot get Parise, that is all the more cash available for a Gausted...

I love Abby and it's great that he is a Muskegon kid, but I think that Detroit looks better with:

Suter/Schultz/Gausted/Moen vs. Suter/Quincey/Abdelkader... I think Abby would flourish in a city like Phoenix or Anaheim.

I am not changing my dream roster to add Moen and Gausted, but I sure as hell would not be disappointed!

Moen is expected to reach a deal to say in Montreal soon. From Renaud Lavoie of RDS:

Marc Bergevin told me he's confidant to make a deal with Travis Moen this week.

https://twitter.com/...579701022523394

And Gausted basically did jack for Nashville in the playoffs other then win faceoffs. If some other team wants to match the $3m a year he wants, more power to 'em.

Edited by ogreslayer, 23 June 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#22 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Moen is expected to reach a deal to say in Montreal soon. From Renaud Lavoie of RDS:

[/color]

https://twitter.com/...579701022523394

And Gausted basically did jack for Nashville in the playoffs other then win faceoffs. If some other team wants to match the $3m a year he wants, more power to 'em.

Some of those faceoffs were crucial if memory serves
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#23 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Abby is one of the few physical forwards the Wings have. The team without him would be incredibly soft.

I believe Khan said the Wings would talk to both at the draft. Therefore, I think it's too early to speculate on either player.

On the spectrum of physical NHL players Abby's nothing special. I don't think we should pay him like he is a special little snowflake even if playing here makes it appear that way.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

GD! I forgot about Ott...would be a nice pickup...

Do we have a link to the Red Wings tendering the qualifying offers? Strange that they only qualified Abby....good that they only qualified Quincey...I can see those draft picks coming soon! Hopefully Edmonton or Montreal picks him up! Lottery pick, here we come! :lol:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#25 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

GD! I forgot about Ott...would be a nice pickup...

Do we have a link to the Red Wings tendering the qualifying offers? Strange that they only qualified Abby....good that they only qualified Quincey...I can see those draft picks coming soon! Hopefully Edmonton or Montreal picks him up! Lottery pick, here we come! :lol:

The Abby and Q ones are from this article. They are still negotiating contracts with them, they just did QOs to ensure they didn't lose them incase negotiations went beyond July 1.

#26 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

On the spectrum of physical NHL players Abby's nothing special. I don't think we should pay him like he is a special little snowflake even if playing here makes it appear that way.

If Gaustad is going for 3+ million a year, then Abby at under 2 million a year is a fair price. I'm hoping for 1.5 million a year for three years. It's not like Abby is holding up negotiations, Holland and his agent were supposed to talk this weekend.

#27 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

Of course, Holland may be waiting on Quincey to see if he lands Suter and Schultz... Quincey then becomes un-needed...

Holland isn't gonna let the guy walk, it doesn't matter if we get Suter and Schultz. He gave up a 1st round pick for him.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#28 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

Gota say this ... Abby at center - is a joke. He a workhorse thats is only effective at the NHL level as a winger. What he brings to the table as a center (faceoff % and fighting) can be bought in Paul Gaustad, but better and we can put Abby back on the 4th line wing where he can charge dmen till the cows come home and rattled brain cells. As a center hes the last to enter the zone way to much and he is a player (much like myself) who plays on speed, power, and adrenaline way too much. He's not a thinker at the NHL level, hes a Max Lapierre thats slightly better at fighting.

#29 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:47 AM

Holland isn't gonna let the guy walk, it doesn't matter if we get Suter and Schultz. He gave up a 1st round pick for him.

...and if he signs somewhere else for more than what he was qualified for, Holland gets a 1st round AND a 3rd round pick in compensation...no brainer to me...

www.thinkdunes.com

#30 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

I am not that big on Quincey and really hope we land Suter, Schultz, and Garrison...

Yes, all three...

Abby would be benefit most at wing... Dump, chase, check...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#31 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

I would love to see the Wings keep them both. Defintley want Abby back and unless we can get someone a little bit better we may as well keep Quincey; especially after all we gave up for him.

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Why are some people acting like its a choice between Prust or Abdelkader? The fourth line would look awesome with both, contrary to red wing belief you can actually have more than one physical forward on the fourth line. With toughness and grit such a weakness in the bottom 6, why on earth would people say get rid of the only guy on the team who brings physicality?

On wing, hes a great forechecker and big hitter. He will fight and he can chip some points (especially on wing). Put Abby and Prust on either side of Helm and watch the other teams D have fits is what I say

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

...and if he signs somewhere else for more than what he was qualified for, Holland gets a 1st round AND a 3rd round pick in compensation...no brainer to me...

Highly unlikely, but you can keep dreaming.

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Highly unlikely, but you can keep dreaming.

Whats unlikely? Thats the RFA compensation rules. If he signs an offer and holland does not match, holland gets compensated....cut and dry.

www.thinkdunes.com

#35 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:58 AM

Whats unlikely? Thats the RFA compensation rules. If he signs an offer and holland does not match, holland gets compensated....cut and dry.

Ya i'm aware of that, what's unlikely is that a team gives him an offer sheet. As far as I can remember it's happened twice

#36 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Ya i'm aware of that, what's unlikely is that a team gives him an offer sheet. As far as I can remember it's happened twice

Offer sheets aren't uncommon; it's the teams not matching them is what is really rare.

#37 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

It will most likely not happen but here's a thought...Kenny signs Schultz and the Oilers who lose out are pissed so they sign Quincey to an offer sheet. Kenny lets him walk and takes the compensation which is a 1st and a 3rd. Ah I can't see Quincey being that much in demand.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 25 June 2012 - 08:44 AM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

He's gonna play somewhere... Let's just say Holland says, 'Here is your qualifying offer, that is all I am going to offer you." Kyle has three options: 1. Accept the Qualifying Offer 2. test the market as an RFA, he should get a taker somewhere for more than $3.125M or 3. Take the Wings to arbitration where (with the crappy season he had) he risks the chance of being rewarded a lessor contract than $3.15M. The smartest thing for him and the best thing for the Wings would be to explore the RFA world. IF nobody else wants him then accept the qualifying offer...but by then our D corps should be full...so he will have to be traded.

Edited by LeftWinger, 25 June 2012 - 09:11 AM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#39 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Offer sheets aren't uncommon; it's the teams not matching them is what is really rare.

That's right my bad, it's been twice that the team has let the player go.

He's gonna play somewhere... Let's just say Holland says, 'Here is your qualifying offer, that is all I am going to offer you." Kyle has three options: 1. Accept the Qualifying Offer 2. test the market as an RFA, he should get a taker somewhere for more than $3.125M or 3. Take the Wings to arbitration where (with the crappy season he had) he risks the chance of being rewarded a lessor contract than $3.15M. The smartest thing for him and the best thing for the Wings would be to explore the RFA world. IF nobody else wants him then accept the qualifying offer...but by then our D corps should be full...so he will have to be traded.

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean Holland is gonna get rid of him.

#40 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean Holland is gonna get rid of him.

Really? Damn! No crap dude...but those are his only options.

He got the qualifying offer from Holland already. But if Holland lands Suter and is really on the trail of Schultz like the media thinks he is and gets those guys signed July 1st, Kyle has to either accepet the $3.125M or explore RFA. If he accepts the $3.125M then he will be the #7 guy riding the pine most nights, so he may as well see if he can get signed somewhere else...if Holland signs both those guys, Quincey is not needed here. Not because I don't like him, but it's just the facts. Smith is not going to sit and Schultz will be at a $3M cap hit basically and nobody making $3M is going to sit in the press box, whether it's Schultz or Quincey, so Quincey would be dealt. So, If Holland lands both, Quincey is out and Holland will gladly accept a 1st and a 3rd for someone he only gave up a 1st for...besides they got the guy they wanted in the 2nd round this year, so he didn't even miss that 1st pick he gave up....letting Quincey go ONLY AFTER SUTER AND SCHULTZ ARE SIGNED is the obvious thing to do. Now, if they don't get the UFA's then Quincey has a home...

edit: besides, I don't like Hudler and Holland is finally letting him go! So there! :P

Edited by LeftWinger, 25 June 2012 - 03:35 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com