• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Crazy

Ken Holland

Rate this topic

Will Ken Holland's legacy be judged on how and what he does this off season? He has never in his time as a GM of the Red Wings had to replace one of the best defenseman to ever play the game, to find a replacement for Brad Stuart, this all after losing Brian Rafalski a great puck moving defenseman just a year ago. When you combine his holes on defense with needing to reload the offense as well this will be a huge off season for the Wings and for Ken Holland. Gone are the pre cap days of simply buying the best team the owner can afford. I think Kenny is a great GM but this could be what he's remembered for. Thoughts?

Holland had to deal with the retirement of the team's most legendary captain (Yzerman) at the very start of the cap era. He managed to put a Cup winner together just two years after Yzerman's retirement. Does that count as adversity?

Guest Heaten

Holland had to deal with the retirement of the team's most legendary captain (Yzerman) at the very start of the cap era. He managed to put a Cup winner together just two years after Yzerman's retirement. Does that count as adversity?

From my understanding and reading of peoples thoughts on message forums is that doesn't count because Zetterberg and Datsyuk magically fell into the laps of the Red Wings organization and they were flukes that cannot and will not ever happen again.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with your point. Holland can overcome this. Maybe he won't land Suter, but he'll find the parts to keep this team going. Smith along with defense by committee might be the era Red Wings are heading, which is fine. Teams win cups playing defense by committee. It seems to be the new trend in the cap era.

Absolutley. However, it is a what have you done for me lately world and if he fails to re-load this team and the Red Wings miss the playoffs next season do you not believe that his reputation as one of the best GMs in hockey will be tarnished to some degree?

Absolutley. However, it is a what have you done for me lately world and if he fails to re-load this team and the Red Wings miss the playoffs next season do you not believe that his reputation as one of the best GMs in hockey will be tarnished to some degree?

You're getting ahead of yourself. I don't want to play hypotheticals with all the bad things that could happen, but haven't in 2+ decades.

There have been other elite GMs that occasionally missed the playoffs, I'm sure. It would depend on the circumstances. But I don't see that from this squad.

You have to keep in mind that, yes, Lidstrom is gone, the team core is getting older, and we aren't developing many snipers. But in the NHL, it is truly possible to acquire talented players in their 20's using a combination of prospects and picks. Look how easily Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, and Phil Kessel were moved. Phaneuf too. Heatley and Kovalchuk were moved in their prime via trade. Some of these players thrive in a change of scenery. And if the Wings acquire just one or two of those players in the next year or two, I think the outlook suddenly looks a lot better.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Hatethedrake!

The big thing for the Wings next season will be adjusting to life without Lidstrom. He has been the main cog in this Red Wings machine over 2 decades. It will affect all players on the team. Even if we were to sign Parise, Suter, Schultz, Semin, Prust....with no #5 back there patrolling the blueline, it will have an impact on the team. He was just so important to our success. I mean it had to happen sometime. The team will adjust eventually. But lets face it. This Red Wings team will look much different next season without Lidstrom. It's a simple statement, I know. But it is so true.

The big thing for the Wings next season will be adjusting to life without Lidstrom. He has been the main cog in this Red Wings machine over 2 decades. It will affect all players on the team. Even if we were to sign Parise, Suter, Schultz, Semin, Prust....with no #5 back there patrolling the blueline, it will have an impact on the team. He was just so important to our success. I mean it had to happen sometime. The team will adjust eventually. But lets face it. This Red Wings team will look much different next season without Lidstrom. It's a simple statement, I know. But it is so true.

That is a very true statement. Kenny is going to need to work his magic but Babcock may be in for the most work.

In my mind this will be a make or break year for him. We have significant needs which IMO are 1. A Top-4 D-Man 2. A Top 6 Forward 3. A #2 Goalie 4. More Size and toughness. He needs to have a good off-season for him to cement his legacy for now.

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan

Well Kenny, strike one on Schultz....not that it was your fault, you offered him the most you could in cash, you offered him top minutes...his umbilical cord just doesn't reach all the way from BC to Michigan....Suter/Semn/Doan/Prust outside shot on Garrison... Get it Done Kenny!