• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Pens Targeting Suter and Parise

Rate this topic

Parise's been one of my one of my favorite players since the Olympics -- he was downright fantastic for the US. The guy simply brings it. I'd love to see both here -- and I think the Red Wings are going to have to be willing to "overpay" to get both -- but Suter is a higher priority, easily.

Guest blueadams

I'm not sure how realistic this is for Pittsburgh. Signing both Parise and Suter to 7mil contracts (which is about the lowest end of the spectrum) leaves them with only 20 players and 0.67 mil in cap space - - - and that's assuming that the cap goes up to 70.3 mil (which isn't all that likely).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)

Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)

Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)

Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)

Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)

Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)

GOALTENDERS

Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)

Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,633,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $666,667

Like I said in the other Parise thread...make your offer the most attractive ANYWAY you can. You can only offer them so much money per the CBA and a lot of teams out there can offer the same amount, so you have to make your offer the most attractive. Offer ANY and EVERYTHING you can to get these guys here...then tell the rest of the NHL to suck it!

Guest Hatethedrake!

Aw man now you're Cap geeking other teams? :tounge: I think the Pens will find a team to take Martin. A team like the Oilers who are in dire need of defensive help. Or a team trying to reach the Cap floor like the Jets.

I'm not sure how realistic this is for Pittsburgh. Signing both Parise and Suter to 7mil contracts (which is about the lowest end of the spectrum) leaves them with only 20 players and 0.67 mil in cap space - - - and that's assuming that the cap goes up to 70.3 mil (which isn't all that likely).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)

Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)

Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)

Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)

Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)

Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)

GOALTENDERS

Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)

Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,633,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $666,667

ageed, plus they lose Niskanen...I know they want to trade Martin, but they have to have a taker.

I am sure since they are trying to clear cap space, they wouldn't want players in return... are there any rules in the CBA against trading a player the caliber of Martin for a "bag of pucks" just to dump his cap hit?

are there any rules in the CBA against trading a player the caliber of Martin for a "bag of pucks" just to dump his cap hit?

Brian Campbell? Precedent has been set, I haven't heard anything regarding changes to the CBA. Wade Redden just wishes he had Campbell's agent.

Parise's been one of my one of my favorite players since the Olympics -- he was downright fantastic for the US. The guy simply brings it. I'd love to see both here -- and I think the Red Wings are going to have to be willing to "overpay" to get both -- but Suter is a higher priority, easily.

Truth.

I see Suter coming here; I think he's a near-lock. Parise, the jury's out (but I'd be surprised if the Wings weren't in the top three of his short list.)

If I were to wager to guess I'd see Suter signing for around $7.25-million. (The Wings are likely going to have to be willing to throw out any self-imposed salary "caps", like Lidstrom's, out the window if they want to be anywhere in the conversation Sunday.) Parise I think would net at (or slightly above) $7.75-million. Get 7-8 year contracts and maybe bump that cap number down. Wings will absolutely front-load those contracts if they need to (within the rules), something that Pittsburgh seemingly isn't willing to do. Ilitch doesn't have any issues with doing that, so that's in our favor.

I think one thing they'll have to really push is the new arena -- the Joe isn't really a selling point. Part of the "program" sell for this club is going to have to be something with a new facility coming within the next few years, because the Joe simply cannot compete as a facility with the likes of Consol Energy Center, or Xcel Energy Center for that matter. Part of that "new era" of an Original 6 club dedicated to winning Cups, treating its players like kings...

Can Holland fly out to Parise's place in Minneapolis by noon on Sunday, and Babcock to Madison for Suter? :lol:

Guest Hatethedrake!

If I were to wager to guess I'd see Suter signing for around $7.25-million. (The Wings are likely going to have to be willing to throw out any self-imposed salary "caps", like Lidstrom's, out the window if they want to be anywhere in the conversation Sunday.) Parise I think would net at (or slightly above) $7.75-million. Get 7-8 year contracts and maybe bump that cap number down. Wings will absolutely front-load those contracts if they need to (within the rules), something that Pittsburgh seemingly isn't willing to do. Ilitch doesn't have any issues with doing that, so that's in our favor.

I think one thing they'll have to really push is the new arena -- the Joe isn't really a selling point. Part of the "program" sell for this club is going to have to be something with a new facility coming within the next few years, because the Joe simply cannot compete as a facility with the likes of Consol Energy Center, or Xcel Energy Center for that matter. Part of that "new era" of an Original 6 club dedicated to winning Cups, treating its players like kings...

Can Holland fly out to Parise's place in Minneapolis by noon on Sunday, and Babcock to Madison for Suter? :lol:

What we need is for Homer to fly out and talk to both these guys in his Swenglish and drive them crazy. He can tell them that he will only leave if they both agree to sign with the Red Wings.

...and have them back here in time for 2pm press conference!

...speaking of Sunday, I am mad yet excited that I will be working til 3pm that day...Mad because I won't be able to have the coverage on all day, BUT the last time I worked on UFA day, I came in from outside looked at the computer and the headline read "Red Wings Sign Marian Hossa" so I am excited to be surprised again with a couple of similar announcements....

Edited by LeftWinger

...speaking of Sunday, I am mad yet excited that I will be working til 3pm that day...Mad because I won't be able to have the coverage on all day, BUT the last time I worked on UFA day, I came in from outside looked at the computer and the headline read "Red Wings Sign Marian Hossa" so I am excited to be surprised again with a couple of similar announcements....

I remember that day. I was doing a radio interview for the sports radio station in Flint about 30 minutes before the start of free agency. I spoke about how talks broke off with Brad Stuart the night before so he was likely to head to free agency and that while the Wings had cap room for Hossa, there's no way the Wings could compete with Edmonton's offer.

Right after the interview was done Stuart re-signed for four years and, shortly after free agency had opened, Hossa agrees to a deal while Holland is filling his gas tank.

Figures.

Not if they trade Paul Martin and his $5 million contract which they are trying to do. That will give them more money than the Wings. I don't like it at all but Pittsburgh may be a more desirable place to play given the age of their key players.

I said this in the Parise thread but I see Parise and Suter as class-act guys. The garbage Pittsburgh displayed in the first round makes us far more desirable on a basis of maturity. Why sign on to a team where even James Neal acted like a 16 year old kid not getting what he wants? This team has shown year in and year out that when Crosby loses his cool, they lose. And Crosby loses his cool A LOT. He kept it together earlier on in his career but now he's getting bad at handling the bullseye on his back and its showing through the whole organization. NOBODY intimidates the Red Wings. Ever. Nobody gets our heads spinning. When we get beat, its because they played better than us. Now THATS a place I want to play. Class.

What we need is for Homer to fly out and talk to both these guys in his Swenglish and drive them crazy. He can tell them that he will only leave if they both agree to sign with the Red Wings.

Remember when Z signed his life-time contract and they reported that Homer talked to him in advance?

The writer of that article posted a gem. He said something along these lines:

How do you think that conversation (between Z and Homer) went? Something like this:

Homer: Henrik, you signing renewing with ink for your name and paper?

Z: Jesus, Homer.

:lol:

Some people here are seriously undervaluing Parise. The guy's a stud, a workhorse. Semin is one of the laziest players I have ever seen, and Brunner - Brunner? Seriously?

As for the topic at hand - I don't see the Pens getting either of them, honestly. But I've been wrong before....

i fully agree with the Parise assessment. He's an impact player for sure. Brunner though I personally think will be a great fit here and open up the offence a lot having a shifty, speedy right handed scorer. If we get both Brunner and Parise it opens up an option for more scoring depth lines 1-3.

Mule-Dats-Parise

Brunner-Z-Flip

Nyquist-Helm-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Abby-Miller/Eaves

That's a pretty solid lineup.

i fully agree with the Parise assessment. He's an impact player for sure. Brunner though I personally think will be a great fit here and open up the offence a lot having a shifty, speedy right handed scorer. If we get both Brunner and Parise it opens up an option for more scoring depth lines 1-3.

Mule-Dats-Parise

Brunner-Z-Flip

Nyquist-Helm-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Abby-Miller/Eaves

That's a pretty solid lineup.

Agreed,

I'd still add Prust and do this with the 4th.

Cleary - Abby - Prust

(Miller/Eaves)

Dangler, you wrote:

before the news that the Wings are apparently signing Brunner, i was on the side that thought our offense was stale and needed a guy like Parise to ramp it up, but after the news came that the leading scorer and right handed speedster was sitting with a pen until July 1st, i think now that signing Suter will definitely be more of a priority than Parise.

I would honestly go with Brunner, Suter and make a push for Garrison if i were Kenny.

If I'm reading you write, you're saying the addition of Brunner means we're ok without Parise. That's what I was taking issue with. (It's certainly possible I'm misinterpreting, of course.)

We're not even sure Brunner's gonna crack the lineup.

I do agree that Suter is the priority (over Parise, that is). But we could sure use both, and Brunner doesn't make Parise any less desirable, IMO.

Dangler, you wrote:

If I'm reading you write, you're saying the addition of Brunner means we're ok without Parise. That's what I was taking issue with. (It's certainly possible I'm misinterpreting, of course.)

I do agree that Suter is the priority (over Parise, that is). But we could sure use both, and Brunner doesn't make Parise any less desirable, IMO.

I'm pretty sure what he's trying to say is that defense is the more glaring need, so stock up on D with Suter and Garrison, and go with a small signing in Brunner and improve the offense internally by giving guys like Nyquist a big shot. I see this route as completely fine as well.

Mostly "Duuurr-huuuur, who wanna live in Detroit? Derp, derp" type nonsense.

Not very complex stuff, I agree. Nothing matters anymore, its the two elite organizations battling for the future, and all of it rests on Suter and Parise's feelings and not money.

This is pretty shocking to me as well. We shouldn't get too high on anyone who is yet unproven in North America. Brunner is the scoring champ in the Swiss league. The Swiss league, IMO, is significantly inferior to both the Swedish and Finnish Elite Leagues. Why is that relavent? Remember Fabian Brunnstrom and Ville Leino?

Until Brunner proves he is in fact an elite talent that can transition to the North American game, this is akin to saying "Great, we have Brunnstrom, who needs Parise!" I'm glad we signed essentially have him signed, but let's not count our chickens, folks.

The Wings need significant offensive help, more so than ever considering there will be a good deal of growing pains on the backend, no matter who we get (and for me, Suter is a must). We have the money, lets spend it, and I'd rather overpay Parise than inevitably overpay Semin, or worse, get no one but Brunner and a few past-their-primes and hear how much management likes what we got.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Aw man now you're Cap geeking other teams? :tounge: I think the Pens will find a team to take Martin. A team like the Oilers who are in dire need of defensive help. Or a team trying to reach the Cap floor like the Jets.

Hopefully there aren't any teams out there looking to do the Penguins any favors like that.

I'm sure those teams looking to get to the cap floor would be better of overpaying a FA than they would be trading away draft picks or roster players to get Martin and his 5 million dollar cap hit.

This is pretty shocking to me as well. We shouldn't get too high on anyone who is yet unproven in North America. Brunner is the scoring champ in the Swiss league. The Swiss league, IMO, is significantly inferior to both the Swedish and Finnish Elite Leagues. Why is that relavent? Remember Fabian Brunnstrom and Ville Leino?

Until Brunner proves he is in fact an elite talent that can transition to the North American game, this is akin to saying "Great, we have Brunnstrom, who needs Parise!" I'm glad we signed essentially have him signed, but let's not count our chickens, folks.

The Wings need significant offensive help, more so than ever considering there will be a good deal of growing pains on the backend, no matter who we get (and for me, Suter is a must). We have the money, lets spend it, and I'd rather overpay Parise than inevitably overpay Semin, or worse, get no one but Brunner and a few past-their-primes and hear how much management likes what we got.

This.