Photo
- - - - -

Pens Targeting Suter and Parise

MLive Detroit News ryan suter zach parise

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Here is a question...Every article I read it says Pit now has $14M in cap space....as does capgeek.com. Great, super, but when the Wings are referred to the amount is never constant. These two articles are a perfect example, one says the Wings have $20M and the other says $19M....yet capgeek says $24M....WTF!?! If we are going to use PIt's available amount from capgeek, then lets use it for Detroit too. $24M look WAAAY more appealing than $19M, even though it is still more than PIt, I sure would like these reporters to paint Detroit's picture in the actual light it is in, not a grimmer one...

...carry on, back to subject. Suter to Detroit is MORE important than both to Detroit...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#22 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Here is a question...Every article I read it says Pit now has $14M in cap space....as does capgeek.com. Great, super, but when the Wings are referred to the amount is never constant. These two articles are a perfect example, one says the Wings have $20M and the other says $19M....yet capgeek says $24M....WTF!?!

I believe that the lower $19/20-million figure written about is what is assumed to be left over once the Red Wings re-sign Abdelkader and Quincey. Which makes sense.

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

I believe that the lower $19/20-million figure written about is what is assumed to be left over once the Red Wings re-sign Abdelkader and Quincey. Which makes sense.

Watch your mouth! :lol:

You meant to say Schultz....I know you did...

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#24 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Notice how Kenny and Co. have been very quiet. Pretty much status quo on draft day. In the past, the Wings have been quiet and then BANG! Sign Rafalski! Sign Hossa! Sign Hatcher! Trade for Hasek! Sign Hull! Reading in between the lines here, I believe Kenny is very confident in hitting his UFA targets in Parise and Suter. I mean if he believes he can get both these guys then why would he waste his time giving up his valuable assets for Ryan or Yandle in trades? I believe the SS Kenny is still going full steam ahead. All aboard the PARISE-SUTER BOAT!
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#25 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,101 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Some people here are seriously undervaluing Parise. The guy's a stud, a workhorse. Semin is one of the laziest players I have ever seen, and Brunner - Brunner? Seriously?

As for the topic at hand - I don't see the Pens getting either of them, honestly. But I've been wrong before....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#26 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Parise's been one of my one of my favorite players since the Olympics -- he was downright fantastic for the US. The guy simply brings it. I'd love to see both here -- and I think the Red Wings are going to have to be willing to "overpay" to get both -- but Suter is a higher priority, easily.

#27 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm not sure how realistic this is for Pittsburgh. Signing both Parise and Suter to 7mil contracts (which is about the lowest end of the spectrum) leaves them with only 20 players and 0.67 mil in cap space - - - and that's assuming that the cap goes up to 70.3 mil (which isn't all that likely).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,633,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $666,667

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Like I said in the other Parise thread...make your offer the most attractive ANYWAY you can. You can only offer them so much money per the CBA and a lot of teams out there can offer the same amount, so you have to make your offer the most attractive. Offer ANY and EVERYTHING you can to get these guys here...then tell the rest of the NHL to suck it!

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#29 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

Aw man now you're Cap geeking other teams? :tounge: I think the Pens will find a team to take Martin. A team like the Oilers who are in dire need of defensive help. Or a team trying to reach the Cap floor like the Jets.

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm not sure how realistic this is for Pittsburgh. Signing both Parise and Suter to 7mil contracts (which is about the lowest end of the spectrum) leaves them with only 20 players and 0.67 mil in cap space - - - and that's assuming that the cap goes up to 70.3 mil (which isn't all that likely).

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,633,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $666,667

ageed, plus they lose Niskanen...I know they want to trade Martin, but they have to have a taker.

I am sure since they are trying to clear cap space, they wouldn't want players in return... are there any rules in the CBA against trading a player the caliber of Martin for a "bag of pucks" just to dump his cap hit?

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#31 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

are there any rules in the CBA against trading a player the caliber of Martin for a "bag of pucks" just to dump his cap hit?

Brian Campbell? Precedent has been set, I haven't heard anything regarding changes to the CBA. Wade Redden just wishes he had Campbell's agent.

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,101 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Parise's been one of my one of my favorite players since the Olympics -- he was downright fantastic for the US. The guy simply brings it. I'd love to see both here -- and I think the Red Wings are going to have to be willing to "overpay" to get both -- but Suter is a higher priority, easily.

Truth.

I see Suter coming here; I think he's a near-lock. Parise, the jury's out (but I'd be surprised if the Wings weren't in the top three of his short list.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

If I were to wager to guess I'd see Suter signing for around $7.25-million. (The Wings are likely going to have to be willing to throw out any self-imposed salary "caps", like Lidstrom's, out the window if they want to be anywhere in the conversation Sunday.) Parise I think would net at (or slightly above) $7.75-million. Get 7-8 year contracts and maybe bump that cap number down. Wings will absolutely front-load those contracts if they need to (within the rules), something that Pittsburgh seemingly isn't willing to do. Ilitch doesn't have any issues with doing that, so that's in our favor.

I think one thing they'll have to really push is the new arena -- the Joe isn't really a selling point. Part of the "program" sell for this club is going to have to be something with a new facility coming within the next few years, because the Joe simply cannot compete as a facility with the likes of Consol Energy Center, or Xcel Energy Center for that matter. Part of that "new era" of an Original 6 club dedicated to winning Cups, treating its players like kings...

Can Holland fly out to Parise's place in Minneapolis by noon on Sunday, and Babcock to Madison for Suter? :lol:

#34 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

If I were to wager to guess I'd see Suter signing for around $7.25-million. (The Wings are likely going to have to be willing to throw out any self-imposed salary "caps", like Lidstrom's, out the window if they want to be anywhere in the conversation Sunday.) Parise I think would net at (or slightly above) $7.75-million. Get 7-8 year contracts and maybe bump that cap number down. Wings will absolutely front-load those contracts if they need to (within the rules), something that Pittsburgh seemingly isn't willing to do. Ilitch doesn't have any issues with doing that, so that's in our favor.

I think one thing they'll have to really push is the new arena -- the Joe isn't really a selling point. Part of the "program" sell for this club is going to have to be something with a new facility coming within the next few years, because the Joe simply cannot compete as a facility with the likes of Consol Energy Center, or Xcel Energy Center for that matter. Part of that "new era" of an Original 6 club dedicated to winning Cups, treating its players like kings...

Can Holland fly out to Parise's place in Minneapolis by noon on Sunday, and Babcock to Madison for Suter? :lol:

What we need is for Homer to fly out and talk to both these guys in his Swenglish and drive them crazy. He can tell them that he will only leave if they both agree to sign with the Red Wings.

#35 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

...and have them back here in time for 2pm press conference!

...speaking of Sunday, I am mad yet excited that I will be working til 3pm that day...Mad because I won't be able to have the coverage on all day, BUT the last time I worked on UFA day, I came in from outside looked at the computer and the headline read "Red Wings Sign Marian Hossa" so I am excited to be surprised again with a couple of similar announcements....

Edited by LeftWinger, 25 June 2012 - 10:25 AM.

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#36 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

...speaking of Sunday, I am mad yet excited that I will be working til 3pm that day...Mad because I won't be able to have the coverage on all day, BUT the last time I worked on UFA day, I came in from outside looked at the computer and the headline read "Red Wings Sign Marian Hossa" so I am excited to be surprised again with a couple of similar announcements....

I remember that day. I was doing a radio interview for the sports radio station in Flint about 30 minutes before the start of free agency. I spoke about how talks broke off with Brad Stuart the night before so he was likely to head to free agency and that while the Wings had cap room for Hossa, there's no way the Wings could compete with Edmonton's offer.

Right after the interview was done Stuart re-signed for four years and, shortly after free agency had opened, Hossa agrees to a deal while Holland is filling his gas tank.

Figures.

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,101 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hossa... :unhappy:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 ozone923

ozone923

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Not if they trade Paul Martin and his $5 million contract which they are trying to do. That will give them more money than the Wings. I don't like it at all but Pittsburgh may be a more desirable place to play given the age of their key players.

I said this in the Parise thread but I see Parise and Suter as class-act guys. The garbage Pittsburgh displayed in the first round makes us far more desirable on a basis of maturity. Why sign on to a team where even James Neal acted like a 16 year old kid not getting what he wants? This team has shown year in and year out that when Crosby loses his cool, they lose. And Crosby loses his cool A LOT. He kept it together earlier on in his career but now he's getting bad at handling the bullseye on his back and its showing through the whole organization. NOBODY intimidates the Red Wings. Ever. Nobody gets our heads spinning. When we get beat, its because they played better than us. Now THATS a place I want to play. Class.
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

#39 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Here's the flip of this topic. Pens fans talking about us getting Parise and Suter...

http://www.letsgopen...php?f=1&t=59084

#40 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

What we need is for Homer to fly out and talk to both these guys in his Swenglish and drive them crazy. He can tell them that he will only leave if they both agree to sign with the Red Wings.

Remember when Z signed his life-time contract and they reported that Homer talked to him in advance?

The writer of that article posted a gem. He said something along these lines:

How do you think that conversation (between Z and Homer) went? Something like this:

Homer: Henrik, you signing renewing with ink for your name and paper?

Z: Jesus, Homer.

:lol:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).