• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Garth Snow...

Rate this topic

If Howson is honest enough with himself about the quality of his development program then maybe this was the right move. Think about it, if you KNOW for a fact that you absolutely blow at developing talent, then why make a move that gives you more players in need of more development? Typically, the first and second picks can walk directly onto an NHL team and play without any development whatsoever. I'm not suggesting Howson is a good GM or anything, but if you know you can't help guys reach their potential, then you'd be foolish to draft on potential.

This was my thoughts, exactly. They're not known for their player development in Columbus, so why not take the one sure thing that is predicted to be able to step in to the NHL and make a difference in his first year.

It also speaks to the Islanders desperation for some young talent on defense, that they drafted all defensemen this year.

This was my thoughts, exactly. They're not known for their player development in Columbus, so why not take the one sure thing that is predicted to be able to step in to the NHL and make a difference in his first year.

It also speaks to the Islanders desperation for some young talent on defense, that they drafted all defensemen this year.

But...But...But....they got all world WIsniewski whom seems to be worth $5.5M per year... I wonder if he still likes where he is, especially after they dump Nash....oh ya, they got Jack Johnson too! I still think Wiz would have been better off here for $4M...he would have played with Lidstrom last year and would be playing with Suter this year...oh well, now he is where he makes a lot of money...too bad it's Columbus...

Can the NHL just merge the Jackets & Islanders into one team and do the same with Howson & Snow? The New Columbus Jackanders, GMed by Garth Snowson. Could they then be slightly better than either team separately or would they just suck twice as bad?

Well, if they didn't trade everyone away upon fusion..

Moulson-Tavares-Nash

Umberger-Brassard-Okposo

Prospal-Nielsen-Grabner

Martin-Reasoner-Dorsett

Boll/Johansen

Visnovsky-Wizniewski

Streit-Johnson

Hamonic-Tyutin

Methot

Nabakov

Dipietro

Not too shabby :ninja:

I guess both of the teams more or less conceded the fact that their scouts are horrendous and they would be willing to sacrifice a ton of prospects for one "sure thing" pick - and I'm not so sure that I believe the notion of a "sure thing" (Alexandre Daigle comes to mind)

But...But...But....they got all world WIsniewski whom seems to be worth $5.5M per year... I wonder if he still likes where he is, especially after they dump Nash....oh ya, they got Jack Johnson too! I still think Wiz would have been better off here for $4M...he would have played with Lidstrom last year and would be playing with Suter this year...oh well, now he is where he makes a lot of money...too bad it's Columbus...

only thing wiz cared about was money. said it himself that he hated detroit because they never offers their players market value contracts. Besides, no player of his caliber who cares about winning would ever sign with the jackets

Edited by chances14

Well nhl.com is reporting this as well.... http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=635992

So I highly doubt this is made up. Believe what you want but I am sure that they offered it. IT ISSSSS Garth Snow we are talking about here.

Well with the NHL site reporting it now I have a hard time believing it's hot air. It's kind of comical that NHL.com is reporting something that makes two league managers look this bad. Those poor bastards.

only thing wiz cared about was money. said it himself that he hated detroit because they never offers their players market value contracts. Besides, no player of his caliber who cares about winning would ever sign with the jackets

I think you overestimate Wiz's calibre. He's an above average player making more than he's worth... unfortunately there are far too many guys like him right now. Colorado's paying one 4mil next season.

I think you overestimate Wiz's calibre. He's an above average player making more than he's worth... unfortunately there are far too many guys like him right now. Colorado's paying one 4mil next season.

Great offensive D-man with grit...his defensive instincts just suck...worth 3.5 - 4 mill

Wiz had a bit of a rough career...floated between many different teams before he could ever establish and prove himself...then his rights got traded to a team that he knew would over pay for him (his big break) so he demanded an arm and a leg and the always desperate Jackets bit the hook. When media asked him why he didn't wait and go to Detroit what was he gonna do? tell the truth? that he wanted that big pay day and he knew Columbus would give it to him? Of course not....Instead he talked some smack about Detroit who is a divisional rival and was a favorite to get him. Basically, he was a good teammate and publicly fully committed to his new team. While his comments were anti-Detroit, they were not classless. Deep down Wiz know's he's overpayed, and he also knows Detroit is one of the most respectable organizations ever. He simply traded cup for cash, and he had to be firm in that decision. I respect that.

CBJ is just one big mess of an organization. Overpaying everyone and turning down all of the Isles picks! Surprised Howson and Snow aren't both fired yet...

Snow should have circus music played every time he enters a room

Oh, and Howson AND anyone who advised him to not take it, or stood by and didn't scream at him TO take it, should be fired immediately...

Who knew someone would swoop in and relieve Milbury of the title of worst GM in NHL history? He better send Snow and Howson gift baskets...

Edited by stevkrause

Can't believe Howson would turn this down. Its not like 4th overall is a bad spot to start your draft off. The Jackets could have owned the entire draft (12 or 13 total picks or something?), and they would have had a ton of leverage for some trades or trading up.

Howson's idiocy is going to curse Murray into being the biggest draft bust of all time. Poor kid.

With how well respected Snow is around the league, I have to believe this preposterious idea came from above him. Howson doesn't have an excuse though.

Marek and Wyshynski made a great point as well on their podcast today: You simply can't make this offer as the Islanders with how much pressure it immediately puts on the kid. He'll forever be the guy the team traded their entire draft for, and that's just not fair.

it's no coincidence that snow and howson's team's have failed miserably. how do they still have jobs?

I literally read a report today about how CBJ fired four of their head scouts. I wonder if this enormous failure had anything to do with it.

Well, if they didn't trade everyone away upon fusion..

Moulson-Tavares-Nash

Umberger-Brassard-Okposo

Prospal-Nielsen-Grabner

Martin-Reasoner-Dorsett

Boll/Johansen

Visnovsky-Wizniewski

Streit-Johnson

Hamonic-Tyutin

Methot

Nabakov

Dipietro

Not too shabby :ninja:

I'm not sure whats more sad, that this mash-up of the 2 worst run franchises in the league is more than 8 million over the 70.3 million dollar salary cap, Or the fact that I took the time to put it into cap geeks cap calculator.

I'm not sure whats more sad, that this mash-up of the 2 worst run franchises in the league is more than 8 million over the 70.3 million dollar salary cap, Or the fact that I took the time to put it into cap geeks cap calculator.

The saddest thing is that the combined roster would probably still end up missing the playoffs.