• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Blashill to coach Griffins 12-13 season

Rate this topic

I don't really view this as a lateral move because the Griffins' former coach left that position to be an assistant in Dallas.

Also a lateral move one could argue... I think that Fraser may have just needed a change of scenery...

I know I'll catch a lot of flak for this, but two years ago our defense was terrible when McCrimmon was the defensive coach. Cut to last year, two new assistant coaches and our defense was back where it needed to be, but now the offense (especially the PP) wasn't good enough to compete with playoff calibre teams. I think Blashill going to GR was an acknowledgement by the organization that he wasn't the guy for the assistant job, but I also think that they wanted to keep him in the organization because he's a good source for home grown talent.

The Wings scored 248 goals last season, ONE goal less than the Canucks who led the conference with 249. The Kings scored 194 and the Devils 228.

I don't think offense is that big of a problem (from a coaching standpoint), though I completely agree with you about the PP. Needs a ton of work, as well as the PK.

The Wings scored 248 goals last season, ONE goal less than the Canucks who led the conference with 249. The Kings scored 194 and the Devils 228.

I don't think offense is that big of a problem (from a coaching standpoint), though I completely agree with you about the PP. Needs a ton of work, as well as the PK.

The reason I think the coaching was an issue was because of the powerplay, which we agreed on, and because during the playoffs it seemed like Nashville was able to jam us up in the middle of the offensive zone and force all of our offense to come from the parimeter. We really seemed to only score after tremendous one on one efforts, or fluky s*** like the Emmerton goal. Additionally, I don't think we adjusted well to that tactic the entire series. Obviously there are more problems then just a failure to adjust, but I think that by the end of the season our offense was too predictable and that we're going to need to diversify the offense if we want to keep up the potency with Lids gone, and Datsyuk and Zetterberg getting older.

That...or sign a bunch of superstar free agents and watch the sparks fly.

Also a lateral move one could argue... I think that Fraser may have just needed a change of scenery...

Agreed, and I also think GR needs a change of scenery. Could just be me, but I felt like Fraser gave too much time to the AHL vets on the team, and didn't focus enough on the progression of the young guys. I'm just speculating, but with Blashill taking over (proven to be good with young players) I feel like it's a step toward better player development.

The reason I think the coaching was an issue was because of the powerplay, which we agreed on, and because during the playoffs it seemed like Nashville was able to jam us up in the middle of the offensive zone and force all of our offense to come from the parimeter.

It seemed to me like this was an issue all year. Teams appear to be wise to Detroit's system, and the Wings seem to constantly go back to the point/try to screen the goalie. It's frustrating at times, because it feels like there's a lack of solid puck movement cross-crease. I hope they try some new things on the PP next season.

Edited by Jesusberg

How is everyone missing the obvious here? promote Paek from GR (defensive minded coach) and let Blashill choose his own assistant to replace him...

Jim Paek is a coach in GR? I remember seeing him play for the Nottingham Panthers about 10 years ago. If he gets promoted that would make 2 wings coaches who learnt their hockey in England ;)

Jim Paek is a coach in GR? I remember seeing him play for the Nottingham Panthers about 10 years ago. If he gets promoted that would make 2 wings coaches who learnt their hockey in England ;)

That would be the same Paek! He's been an assistant in GR for a couple years now and although he played in England, he spent several years in the NHL with the Pens and Kings and was actually born in Korea and raised in Canada, so techhhnicallyyyy, he learned his hockey in, of all places, Canada... shocker :)

He was a D-man and has a pretty good defensive system... I think he'd be a good fit personally, I guess it just depends on how he meshes with Babs...

That would be the same Paek! He's been an assistant in GR for a couple years now and although he played in England, he spent several years in the NHL with the Pens and Kings and was actually born in Korea and raised in Canada, so techhhnicallyyyy, he learned his hockey in, of all places, Canada... shocker :)

He was a D-man and has a pretty good defensive system... I think he'd be a good fit personally, I guess it just depends on how he meshes with Babs...

I know all that, I just didn't know he was with GR :) But he'll mesh fine with Babs, they both learned their Hockey in England :D

I know all that, I just didn't know he was with GR :) But he'll mesh fine with Babs, they both learned their Hockey in England :D

you know what they say, there isn't a bigger hockey hotbed than the UK, haha :)

I'd like to see him given a shot here...