• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Shocked! if over 600 goals, over 1300 points, 3 Stanley cups, and an olympic gold medal won't make you a first ballot HOFer, then i give. Please don't let it turn into the MLB HOF

#22 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

this is really emberassing. Sundin over Shanny...

yep... talk about HHOF offices being in Toronto and this being no how correlated with votes... :)

disgusting!

#23 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

We can't cuss here anymore for some reason, but in this space, place your favorite swear words of choice. __________________________________

This is BS, pure and simple. Me = not happy.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

I always liked Sundin, but there's no way he should've gotten in ahead of Shanny.

#25 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

this is really emberassing. Sundin over Shanny...

yep... talk about HHOF offices being in Toronto and this being no how correlated with votes... :)

disgusting!

If you think about it though, what arguments do you have for Shanahan over Sundin? Yes, he scored more goals, but Sundin still had 564 goals. Sundin scored the same number of points (give or take a few) in almost 200 less games. I also think Sundin's international experience is a little more accomplished than Shanny's.

I think Shanhan's very low points per game stat hurt him. He'll get in eventuall though. If you look at this year's list, I could argue Shanny over Sundin, Oates or Bure, but you could argue the other way too. The only non-argument would be that Sakic is a lock over them all.

Oates...much better ppg than Shanny, but after that, not much to say.

Bure....the question mark there is the fact his career was cut short....did he do enough? I think his talents were superior to Shanahan's, his gpg and ppg stats blow Shanny's out of the water, but that has been shown in the past not to matter much when you are talking about shorter careers. Bure waited awhile to get in though.
  • Nev likes this

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Funny thing is, I really don't know why he left to begin with....something about the old guys and new guys...hell he played 3 more seasons, he could have stayed and that would not have changed to outcome of 2008 and could very well have changed 2009. He could have had 4 Cups if not a 5th...I really don't know why he left...

Hmmm.....number retired? I would say not, because then you are opening up others who are borderline...If you retire #14, then you have to retire #91, #30, #8 maybe....it's just opens a big can of worms and then we will be just like the Avalanche...

I say #5, then #13 for sure...verdict is still out on #40...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#27 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Funny thing is, I really don't know why he left to begin with....something about the old guys and new guys...hell he played 3 more seasons, he could have stayed and that would not have changed to outcome of 2008 and could very well have changed 2009. He could have had 4 Cups if not a 5th...I really don't know why he left

It's hearsay but apparently Shanny wasnt buying into the team system and didn't get along with the coach at the time.

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

If you think about it though, what arguments do you have for Shanahan over Sundin? Yes, he scored more goals, but Sundin still had 564 goals. Sundin scored the same number of points (give or take a few) in almost 200 less games. I also think Sundin's international experience is a little more accomplished than Shanny's.

I think Shanhan's very low points per game stat hurt him. He'll get in eventuall though. If you look at this year's list, I could argue Shanny over Sundin, Oates or Bure, but you could argue the other way too. The only non-argument would be that Sakic is a lock over them all.

Oates...much better ppg than Shanny, but after that, not much to say.

Bure....the question mark there is the fact his career was cut short....did he do enough? I think his talents were superior to Shanahan's, his gpg and ppg stats blow Shanny's out of the water, but that has been shown in the past not to matter much when you are talking about shorter careers. Bure waited awhile to get in though.

I think the difference is Shanny was a power forward. And one of the best. He's the only player in NHL history with over 600 goals and 2,000 PIMs.

He's got equal leadership to Sundin and three more Cups. The points per game isn't as good, but they played different positions. He's the 2nd most goals by a left winger behind Robitaille. And he did that playing the left wing lock years in Detroit and stepping up to drop the gloves.

#29 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

I think the difference is Shanny was a power forward. And one of the best. He's the only player in NHL history with over 600 goals and 2,000 PIMs.

He's got equal leadership to Sundin and three more Cups. The points per game isn't as good, but they played different positions. He's the 2nd most goals by a left winger behind Robitaille. And he did that playing the left wing lock years in Detroit and stepping up to drop the gloves.

that, plus the fact that he put great numbers on an already starstudden team.

I'm big fan of Sundin, too, but no way he deserves the nod before Shanny. I'd be fine with both of them, but not when Sundin gets into HHOF in his first year while Shanaban is skipped. sorry. this is outrageous.

Edited by akustyk, 26 June 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#30 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Good jeorb, USA Today.

Posted Image

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#31 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Just saw that Scotty & Igor are actually on the selection committee. And still Shanny doesn't get in? What the????

#32 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm not sure we would have won anything more than 1 cup without Shanahan.

bringit.jpg

#33 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Really too bad that Shanny didn't get in this year. I thought for sure he would be in. I guess all the points he scored and the 3 stanley cups weren't good enough :rolleyes:
IPB Image

#34 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

No way Sundin deserved to be in the Hall of Fame over Shanny. Honestly must be the Toronto connection that got Sundin in and kept Shanny out.
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#35 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

How the hell does Shanny get left out but Joe Sack-Lick makes it in?

#36 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Fighter discrimination!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#37 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

How the hell does Shanny get left out but Joe Sack-Lick makes it in?

Probably has something to do with Sack-Lick having a much better career.

Shanahan should have been a first ballot none-the-less at least over Sundin.
Tough class though, I could see Bure, Sakic, Oates, Shanahan, Sundin all being in. Looks like Shanny was the odd man out and I really disagree with it.

Edited by Carman, 26 June 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#38 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Payback for not suspending Weber in the first round. Hockey Gods are cruel gods.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#39 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

I honestly think that Shanny gets in first ballot if he wasn't currently working in such a high profile position for the league. Something tells me that some members of the selection committee either don't really like the league office, or perhaps don't want to appear as if they're sucking up to the league office.

Edited by kipwinger, 26 June 2012 - 04:20 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#40 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

If Sundin had played somewhere other than Toronto for most of his career, I doubt he gets in over Shanny.

Glad Oates got in though.