• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Shane Doan to test free agency

Rate this topic

Youre kidding right?

Wings fans are such babies anymore. Did you complain when Drake signed with the wings? Because he is just as dirty and as much of a head hunter type as Doan was.

i didn't really care about the Drake signing. i was more or less indifferent on that. Shane Doan is a huge ******. and you want to talk about babies, look at the Coyotes exit from the playoffs and the example Doan set.

Point being, i do not like him whatsoever and i do not want him to be a Wing. Never liked him even his first year as a Winnipeg Jet watching him here and i never will like him, even if for some reason Kenny signs him. He's more a Penguin than a Red Wing.

Hmmm, this is really interesting. Maybe after years of watching his team have zero impact in the playoffs he's ready to see if he can't get that cup somewhere. I'll be anxious to see how this one plays out.

The Coyotes just went to the conference finals.

BTW, the only way Doan plays for another franchise would be if the Coyotes relocated. There's no way he leaves otherwise.

i didn't really care about the Drake signing. i was more or less indifferent on that. Shane Doan is a huge ******. and you want to talk about babies, look at the Coyotes exit from the playoffs and the example Doan set.

Point being, i do not like him whatsoever and i do not want him to be a Wing. Never liked him even his first year as a Winnipeg Jet watching him here and i never will like him, even if for some reason Kenny signs him. He's more a Penguin than a Red Wing.

Youre right hes not a wing of the last 3 years or so, basically post lockout except 2008. Hes a wing from times before that however when the wings didnt get pushed around in the playoffs and could find other ways to score goals besides working the perimeter. Hes a wing from back when the wings had forwards that could change the game with a big hit as much as a goal. Hes got a no quit attitude and clearly wants to win. When his team isnt scoring he'll look to change the momentum in different ways instead of going through the motions like this current wings roster that hasnt made noise in the playoffs for 4 years now.

Hes what the wings used to be, he can score, set up plays, hits like a tank and you dont like him because he hit some guys hard in the playoffs when the wings played them. And then he actually gave a s*** when his team got beat out.

Like I said, wings fans have become babies and used to an "we need to outclass the other team, even when they outwork and beat us" attitude

I'd rather us get Doan than Semin. Doan isn't the first guy on my list, particularly because of his age, but at least he's got heart and that desire to win the Cup.

To those calling him dirty and cheap, people said the same about Chelios and Bertuzzi when they were brought here.

I have always liked Doan. Yeah, he's an idiot sometimes on the ice, but you can't deny he is passionate and hard-working. The Red Wings aren't remotely close to being tough to play against anymore. When you can't outskill teams, you need players like Doan that will have that edge to play a gritty style and it would hopefully rub off on some of the other "softer" Red Wings. Besides Z and Pavel, no forward in the top-six had any desire to drive the middle of the ice in the Nashville series.

I don't think the Red Wings are getting Parise, which might not be the worst thing if the rumors about his potential deal come true. Obviously the dream scenario is signing both Suter and Parise, but in reality the Red Wings have more holes than usual and need all of that available cap space to address their needs. If you can add two forwards for more depth (Semin/Doan) for close to the same price as Parise would get, I would be OK with that outcome. Then there's still some leftover for ideally a 4th line center and backup goalie.

Could you imagine the hunger and intensity a team consisting of Doan, Parise, and Helm would possess? Hell I would love to see those three on a line together just to witness the chaos.

This, This, This, This, This.

Who knows, might even spark something in Franzen. At the very least, Doan and Parise in the top-6 would make Franzen on the third line (where he belongs, IMO) (and I don't mean that in a negative way) a realistic option. Or, imagine Franzen/Cleary - Helm - Doan as our checking line (just for when the going gets rough).

This, This, This, This, This.

Who knows, might even spark something in Franzen. At the very least, Doan and Parise in the top-6 would make Franzen on the third line (where he belongs, IMO) (and I don't mean that in a negative way) a realistic option. Or, imagine Franzen/Cleary - Helm - Doan as our checking line (just for when the going gets rough).

Thats what i have always thought too. I'd like to see someone brought in that would spark something in Franzen, or teach him how to play like the power forward he can be. That was one of the reasons i would have liked Jagr here last year.

I think putting him on the 3rd line would be a good idea too. Mabe at center?? It would force him to play 2-way hockey, and then he wouldnt be so bored all the time.

Youre kidding right?

Wings fans are such babies anymore. Did you complain when Drake signed with the wings? Because he is just as dirty and as much of a head hunter type as Doan was.

Wings fans bitched at Holland for the Drake signing, saying he was over the hill and offered nothing. Wings won the cup and everyone praised the signing. Go figure.....

As for Doan, I think he would be a great addition to the Wings, but he may go play for Pittsburgh or another contender.

I can't help but think of what would have happened when Weber face planted Z into the glass and Doan were a Wing. Do you think he would have sat back and did nothing like the rest of the team did?? No, he's a type of guy who would go ballistic and not stand for that crap. Wings need someone like that but I hold little faith that he would come here.

Dirty player? How often do we overlook Kronwall when he leaves his skates for one of those devastating hits that we all like. Was McCarty an angel for pummeling Lemeiux who did not even show any willingness to fight back? I'd say that was pretty dirty but we LOVED him for it. Vladimir Konstantinov was notorious for getting away with little dirty cheap shots and the guy was a fan favorite for his tenacity and no fear attitude. Give me a couple of guys like Doan and the Cup will be ours.

Edited by Valas19

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is just posturing to squeeze a little more out of Phoenix. I still expect him to re-sign.

My guess is he stays in Phoenix as well, but if your speculation is true, nothing says loyalty to your financially challenged team like squeezing every last penny out of them during a contract year!

I've always had the sort of love/hate thing with Doan watching him play. He plays on the edge, and often over it. But the guy's a competitor and has strapped his team on his back time and time again in the playoffs. That's hard not to like.

I have to say though, I lost respect for him not for his antics in the handshake line with LA, but his whining in the lockerroom about the officials being against the Coyotes. He sounded like a bitter fan, not the captain. I have a feeling Tippet used an "everybody is against us" mentality to motivate his team, but it might have created an air of victimhood too.

It's one thing for Smith, who's just another insane goalie, but I was just surprised to hear Doan say things like that.

I've always had the sort of love/hate thing with Doan watching him play. He plays on the edge, and often over it. But the guy's a competitor and has strapped his team on his back time and time again in the playoffs. That's hard not to like.

I have to say though, I lost respect for him not for his antics in the handshake line with LA, but his whining in the lockerroom about the officials being against the Coyotes. He sounded like a bitter fan, not the captain. I have a feeling Tippet used an "everybody is against us" mentality to motivate his team, but it might have created an air of victimhood too.

It's one thing for Smith, who's just another insane goalie, but I was just surprised to hear Doan say things like that.

You're absolutely right about this, and to be honest, I was very shocked that Doan had anything to do with that garbage given how he'd always played the game. He was definitely a lot of things, but I never thought I'd see him be a whiner.

All that said, he's one of the most intense hockey players on the ice. A serious competitor, a leader, and a guy clearly willing to go to the wall for a cup. Come playoff time, I think he's one of the hardest players to play against in the league, and we had two straight years of watching him demolish our guys to prove it.

Everyone around here always says we need to get tougher without sacrificing the ability to play the game. If that's how you feel then Shane Doan is your guy. I don't know if he's really exploring the market, but if he is, I'd give him good money on a short contract if I'm Kenny and hope to pry him away from Phoenix for a year or until they get this ownership thing sorted out.

My guess is he stays in Phoenix as well, but if your speculation is true, nothing says loyalty to your financially challenged team like squeezing every last penny out of them during a contract year!

Who said anything about "loyalty?" :P I'm just talking about money.