60 replies to this topic

#41 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Youre kidding right?

Wings fans are such babies anymore. Did you complain when Drake signed with the wings? Because he is just as dirty and as much of a head hunter type as Doan was.

Wings fans bitched at Holland for the Drake signing, saying he was over the hill and offered nothing. Wings won the cup and everyone praised the signing. Go figure.....

As for Doan, I think he would be a great addition to the Wings, but he may go play for Pittsburgh or another contender.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#42 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

I'm down with Doan, he can wear #91. :colgate:

esteef

+1

#43 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

I can't help but think of what would have happened when Weber face planted Z into the glass and Doan were a Wing. Do you think he would have sat back and did nothing like the rest of the team did?? No, he's a type of guy who would go ballistic and not stand for that crap. Wings need someone like that but I hold little faith that he would come here.

Dirty player? How often do we overlook Kronwall when he leaves his skates for one of those devastating hits that we all like. Was McCarty an angel for pummeling Lemeiux who did not even show any willingness to fight back? I'd say that was pretty dirty but we LOVED him for it. Vladimir Konstantinov was notorious for getting away with little dirty cheap shots and the guy was a fan favorite for his tenacity and no fear attitude. Give me a couple of guys like Doan and the Cup will be ours.

Edited by Valas19, 27 June 2012 - 10:10 AM.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#44 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I would sign Doan to a one year deal and overpay him. We have the cap space to overpay him for a year and still have space to get other long term needs in as well. He might be getting up there in age but he is exactly what the wings need come playoff time.

#45 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is just posturing to squeeze a little more out of Phoenix. I still expect him to re-sign.

My guess is he stays in Phoenix as well, but if your speculation is true, nothing says loyalty to your financially challenged team like squeezing every last penny out of them during a contract year!

#46 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Doan would be perfect for this team and is exactly the type of player we need

Posted Image

#47 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

I would like to see Doan in a Wings jersey
IPB Image

#48 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

I've always had the sort of love/hate thing with Doan watching him play. He plays on the edge, and often over it. But the guy's a competitor and has strapped his team on his back time and time again in the playoffs. That's hard not to like.

I have to say though, I lost respect for him not for his antics in the handshake line with LA, but his whining in the lockerroom about the officials being against the Coyotes. He sounded like a bitter fan, not the captain. I have a feeling Tippet used an "everybody is against us" mentality to motivate his team, but it might have created an air of victimhood too.

It's one thing for Smith, who's just another insane goalie, but I was just surprised to hear Doan say things like that.

#49 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I've always had the sort of love/hate thing with Doan watching him play. He plays on the edge, and often over it. But the guy's a competitor and has strapped his team on his back time and time again in the playoffs. That's hard not to like.

I have to say though, I lost respect for him not for his antics in the handshake line with LA, but his whining in the lockerroom about the officials being against the Coyotes. He sounded like a bitter fan, not the captain. I have a feeling Tippet used an "everybody is against us" mentality to motivate his team, but it might have created an air of victimhood too.

It's one thing for Smith, who's just another insane goalie, but I was just surprised to hear Doan say things like that.

You're absolutely right about this, and to be honest, I was very shocked that Doan had anything to do with that garbage given how he'd always played the game. He was definitely a lot of things, but I never thought I'd see him be a whiner.

All that said, he's one of the most intense hockey players on the ice. A serious competitor, a leader, and a guy clearly willing to go to the wall for a cup. Come playoff time, I think he's one of the hardest players to play against in the league, and we had two straight years of watching him demolish our guys to prove it.

Everyone around here always says we need to get tougher without sacrificing the ability to play the game. If that's how you feel then Shane Doan is your guy. I don't know if he's really exploring the market, but if he is, I'd give him good money on a short contract if I'm Kenny and hope to pry him away from Phoenix for a year or until they get this ownership thing sorted out.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#50 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

My guess is he stays in Phoenix as well, but if your speculation is true, nothing says loyalty to your financially challenged team like squeezing every last penny out of them during a contract year!

Who said anything about "loyalty?" :P I'm just talking about money.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#51 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

I think if givin a chance Doan would take those comments back in a heart beat. I would take a player that gives a s*** over one that isnt interested in the regular season 10 times out of 10.

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

CAPGEEK.COM BLUE ADAMS GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.000m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.000m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Justin Schultz ($3.800m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,883,712; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,416,288

Actually Blue, I like this lineup except I would still try for a healthier back-up....let's give Montoya a try! Although I heard thru the twitter-vine that Holland likes Monster or Clemmenson as back-up...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

I think if givin a chance Doan would take those comments back in a heart beat. I would take a player that gives a s*** over one that isnt interested in the regular season 10 times out of 10.

That's the thing, Doan is absolutely a competitor. It's what makes him play on and sometimes over the edge.

His comments showed a surprising lack of maturity, but I'd still take him on the Wings in a heartbeat.

#54 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Doan would be a great addition to the wings, someone who can really bring the pain on the forecheck and just goes all out 24/7,
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#55 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

That's the thing, Doan is absolutely a competitor. It's what makes him play on and sometimes over the edge.

His comments showed a surprising lack of maturity, but I'd still take him on the Wings in a heartbeat.

I cut him some slack on the comments. Yes, he wasn't a gracious loser, but I think we all say things like that when no one is listening. It was the playoffs. He probably forgot that people outside of the Phoenix area listen to hockey players during the playoffs.

The way he plays, I'd love him here.

#56 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Give Doaner 2 years at 11M. Give him a shot to win the cup then he can go back to Phoenix and retire a Yote, if they still have a team by then.

Edited by redwingfan19, 28 June 2012 - 09:25 AM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Doan/Semin/Suter/Prust/Garrison....they are all still out there...they want Stanley...WE want Stanley...it's like the stars are aligned!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#58 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Doan/Semin/Suter/Prust/Garrison....they are all still out there...they want Stanley...WE want Stanley...it's like the stars are aligned!

Agreed, as long as we can convince a few of them that we can make a run. However, realistically I'd be happy with 2 or 3 of those names joining the squad.

#59 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Doan won't sign with anyone until the 8th
http://www.thefourth.../phx120630.html

#60 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

^ That's actually great news for the Wings. The Parise sweepstakes will likely be over well before that and if the Wings can't lock him up, this will give them time to shift their efforts.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).