• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
steveyzermanfan19

Parise Likely Out. Next Options

Rate this topic

The chance he signs back in jersey was always a real possibility. I also agree 9-10 million is ridiculous, but the way he's talking about hurting "us" when referring to the devils doesn't mean much ATM. He's still a devil until he signs elsewhere, if he does at all.

I know I said I want Ryan on our roster, but living in Southern California, I´ve seen Bobby multiple times and I think he´s more interested in the glamor then the game. Watching him from behind the Ducks bench I´ve seen multiple temper tantrums. Whether it´s obvious towards the coach or another player, he sure throws a hissy fit. Then comes his attitude towards his name being thrown in rumors. I just feel like he´s kind of a head-case.

Yeah, or, you know...maybe it's because he plays for the Ducks.

I'm sure this has something to do with it.

As for Parise - I don't see how anything's changed.

- That guy's not the first to say Parise could command as much as 10 mill.

- Could =/= Will, or even necessarily Likely will

- Of course Parise's gonna say "we/us"

Edited by Dabura

After reading multiple sources' opinions I have come to the conclusion that most likely Parise will be a Devil next season.

In an interview on NHL Home Ice, Parise refers to Adam Oates' relocation as hurting ¨us¨ meaning ¨him¨ on the Devils next year and the future.

I wouldn't want to sign him at the 9-10 million $ salary he seeks anyways, but I look at it as a slight problem for the Wings. Before reading the quotes above (see above) I figured that with Parise testing the market fully, other teams like the Rangers, Penguins, etc. would jump at this opportunity while we focus on better options suitable for our current situation and go after players like Semin who will be at discount because of his worst season as a Capital last year.

I always assumed Parise would re-sign with the Devils so I wasn't worried, but happy that he would take attention away from players the Wings could steal. Now that he is expressing that he wants to play in New Jersey and calling the Devils ¨us¨, it creates a less hostile environment for teams trying to pursue him. Teams are realizing the fact that Parise is probably not the best option to throw all their chips in.

I am looking at players like Semin, Schultz, Suter. Let´s say Kenny signs Suter and Schultz in a package kind of deal. Where Kenny entices Suter with playing with a young gun in Schultz and entices Schultz with playing along a proven defender in Suter. We can sign Semin for 4-5 million (given he can receive more elsewhere, but likes the idea of playing with Datsyuk), sign Suter for his 7 million, and get Schultz for his entry 925,000$ contract.

Being realistic I do not believe it´s even 60% possible that Kenny will be able to pull this off, but this is in my perfect world. Hell, let´s pull a Miami Heat and sign Parise Suter Semin and Schultz. Use the pitch that look what Miami has done, imagine what we all could do kind of thing. (I wish)

What do you all think?

I think that you're being a bit rash. Lets face it, if Parise wanted to stay a Devil THAT bad, why would they be pushed to July 1st of free agency even with financial troubles? ITS ZACH PARISE. That's like Detroit and Zetterberg pushing right till free agency... but Zetterberg never thought twice. I don't doubt that Parise would prefer to stay a Devil, its probably easier that way in terms of lifestyle because you don't have to give up everything for a new city and team. But on the other hand, its pretty evident to me that he's at least curious as to what's out there, and I guarantee you he wants to see what kind of offer Detroit and Pittsburgh can throw at him to at least tickle that curiousity. Once its tickled... who knows then? I really don't think its time to give up all hope and throw Plan A out the window. Plan A is still Plan A. B can be Semin.

Parise obviously wants to see whats out there, so don't give up yet!

Never realistically thought, he would come here. I can see him becoming a Penguin soon, he is a very loyal player but even Zach knows, the Devils could soon be owned by the league > internal budget team.

Our top priority needs to be Suter. Schultz will want to play with his BFF Gardiner in Toronto or close to his family with the Canucks.

Semin god no, he is lazy with a bad attitude let him join the KHL. Rather go after Roy, he is unhappy in Buffalo.

if praise gets 10mill then see crosby make 14...

Thats where it gets messy. Sid the Kid said he's willing to lower his contract and only take a 550,000 raise inorder for them to build a championship team around him. He's willing to take the paycut inorder to win. Parise will not make more than Crosby.

Thats where it gets messy. Sid the Kid said he's willing to lower his contract and only take a 550,000 raise inorder for them to build a championship team around him. He's willing to take the paycut inorder to win. Parise will not make more than Crosby.

And therein lies the rub. Crosby may have done the whole league a favor. It's hard for most players to say they should be making considerably more than Crosby.

Can we get Messi?

If we miss out on Messi then Robin van Persie would be my second choice. Or if we want a Swede to mesh we can try for Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

I hesitate to even mention Crosby in the same sentence as Steve Yzerman but that sounds like something Stevie would have done. Oh yeah, he did.

And therein lies the rub. Crosby may have done the whole league a favor. It's hard for most players to say they should be making considerably more than Crosby.

This makes me giggle... seriously. Crosby is NOT taking a paycut to do the league or his team a favour. The kid will make 9 million a year. LOL. 9 MILLION! A paycut is Hank taking 6.08 a year instead of 8. Crosby should be taking 8 or less if he wants to 'give his team a chance'. It disgusts me how greedy some of these players are.

Has anyone considered that the $9-10 million figure would be his salary, not his cap hit? As fans, all we should care about is the cap hit. Richards made $12 million this year with a $10 million signing bonus and his cap hit was $6.66 million.

Guest Hatethedrake!

He's waited this long. I still believe Parise (and Suter) will be signing with the Wings on July 1st. Kenny has them on his speed dial. 1-800-MINNY-SUCKS.

Has anyone considered that the $9-10 million figure would be his salary, not his cap hit? As fans, all we should care about is the cap hit. Richards made $12 million this year with a $10 million signing bonus and his cap hit was $6.66 million.

Yeah that's what I think it is too. Something like...

10 year deal...70 million

Year 1: 10 mil

Year 2: 10 mil

Year 3: 9 mil

Year 4: 9 mil

Year 5: 8 mil

Year 6: 8 mil

Year 7: 6 mil

Year 8: 5 mil

Year 9: 3 mil

Year 10: 2 mil

This team doesn't need to get older, better to get younger and take a chance on Semin.

Oh please people have been saying that for 10 + years and look we won two cups and made the playoffs every season. If it makes you feel any better I'm sure losing Nick and Brad dropped the average age down a bit.

and you don't "take a chance" on a 6.5mil forward.

Edited by Number19

Only if he signs before the new CBA folks. And even then, signing a front-loaded contract could get Pitts in trouble like Jersey did with Kovalchuk, especially being so close to the new CBA.

I think most are considering the $9-10 million to be the average per year over a deal he signs....therefore = cap hit. Maybe I'm interpreting your statement wrong, but are you suggesting Richards made $22 million last year? He had a signing bonus of $10 million as you say, but his salary was only $2 million....so total = $12 million. Wasn't sure if you were adding the signing bonus on top of the $12 million.

This makes me giggle... seriously. Crosby is NOT taking a paycut to do the league or his team a favour. The kid will make 9 million a year. LOL. 9 MILLION! A paycut is Hank taking 6.08 a year instead of 8. Crosby should be taking 8 or less if he wants to 'give his team a chance'. It disgusts me how greedy some of these players are.

Really? Not sure why Hank would be worth $8 million a year into his 40s, but ok. You say Hank took a cut from possible $8 million to $6 million, but if Crosby is worth $14 million (i.e. max under the cap) and he only takes $9 or $10 million, it's not a cut since it's more than $8 million. This makes no sense at all.

The thing is, even if Crosby wants to settle at $9 or $10 million, you better believe he will be getting serious pressure from both his agent and the NHLPA to go as high as possible.

Really? Not sure why Hank would be worth $8 million a year into his 40s, but ok. You say Hank took a cut from possible $8 million to $6 million, but if Crosby is worth $14 million (i.e. max under the cap) and he only takes $9 or $10 million, it's not a cut since it's more than $8 million. This makes no sense at all.

The thing is, even if Crosby wants to settle at $9 or $10 million, you better believe he will be getting serious pressure from both his agent and the NHLPA to go as high as possible.

Why does he have to be worth 8 mil into his 40's? Who says he makes it there? The reason the contract currently signed is so long is because it is front-loaded. They would just make a front-loaded contract with an average hit of 8 mil = therefore the cap it of 8 mil. He is easily worth that, and so is Datsyuk.

If talks about Parise being worth 9-10 million are surfacing, then no KIDDING Hank is worth 8 million. He has 102 playoff points in 109 playoff games, close to the highest among active players.

My point is that regardless of the fact that under a 70.3 mil cap, Crosby not taking 14 million a year is not a "discount". Relatively speaking, no player in the NHL is currently worth that if the highest paid player is Ovechkin at 9.5. Crosby would be worth 10 at the max in this case. Crosby taking 9 instead of 10, a whopping1 million difference is not a discount. Hank and Pav took legitimate discounts for their teams.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm trying to step out of the NHL for a second and look at the actual numbers these kids are earning... and it is simply ludicrous to say that from 10 million dollars to 9 is a discount.

That's a real nice sentiment from Crosby and all, but considering the last two years that he's had, and the big question mark hanging above his head for the forseeable future, I doubt he was going to get much of a raise anyway.

Why does he have to be worth 8 mil into his 40's? Who says he makes it there? The reason the contract currently signed is so long is because it is front-loaded. They would just make a front-loaded contract with an average hit of 8 mil = therefore the cap it of 8 mil. He is easily worth that, and so is Datsyuk.

If talks about Parise being worth 9-10 million are surfacing, then no KIDDING Hank is worth 8 million. He has 102 playoff points in 109 playoff games, close to the highest among active players.

My point is that regardless of the fact that under a 70.3 mil cap, Crosby not taking 14 million a year is not a "discount". Relatively speaking, no player in the NHL is currently worth that if the highest paid player is Ovechkin at 9.5. Crosby would be worth 10 at the max in this case. Crosby taking 9 instead of 10, a whopping1 million difference is not a discount. Hank and Pav took legitimate discounts for their teams.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm trying to step out of the NHL for a second and look at the actual numbers these kids are earning... and it is simply ludicrous to say that from 10 million dollars to 9 is a discount.

But your $10 million reference point is meaningless, you've created that out of thin air. The fact is, the cap has gone up about 15-20% since Zetterberg signed his contract, so comparing $8 million for him, or whatever the number, to what Crosby might be worth today is comparing apples and oranges.

I've always said when Zetterberg signed his contract, he might be worth $8 million a year on a 5 deal, but if you want longer term, your average per year has to come down due to diminishing returns as he ages. Otherwise, you have a 41 year old on the roster taking up $8 million in cap space and potentially not giving you much production. Flip sides are that he's likely retired before then or the cap may be significantly greater so the $8 million isn't a big deal. I've always had an issue with these types of contrats as, to me, they are clearly circumventing the cap. Unless you really thinking the player is going to stick around and play through to the end of the contract, I think there is circumvention. I think deals like Zetterberg's pushed the envelope and then Kovalchuk's initial deal just went way overboard and was denied.

That's a real nice sentiment from Crosby and all, but considering the last two years that he's had, and the big question mark hanging above his head for the forseeable future, I doubt he was going to get much of a raise anyway.

Not based on what a group of GMs suggested. I heard a comment a few weeks ago about the very issue with his concussions, etc. I think 6 or 7 GMs were asked about the situation and all of them suggested they would be willing to sign him to a max dollar deal, even if they wouldn't be able to insur him.

But your $10 million reference point is meaningless, you've created that out of thin air. The fact is, the cap has gone up about 15-20% since Zetterberg signed his contract, so comparing $8 million for him, or whatever the number, to what Crosby might be worth today is comparing apples and oranges.

I've always said when Zetterberg signed his contract, he might be worth $8 million a year on a 5 deal, but if you want longer term, your average per year has to come down due to diminishing returns as he ages. Otherwise, you have a 41 year old on the roster taking up $8 million in cap space and potentially not giving you much production. Flip sides are that he's likely retired before then or the cap may be significantly greater so the $8 million isn't a big deal. I've always had an issue with these types of contrats as, to me, they are clearly circumventing the cap. Unless you really thinking the player is going to stick around and play through to the end of the contract, I think there is circumvention. I think deals like Zetterberg's pushed the envelope and then Kovalchuk's initial deal just went way overboard and was denied.

Not based on what a group of GMs suggested. I heard a comment a few weeks ago about the very issue with his concussions, etc. I think 6 or 7 GMs were asked about the situation and all of them suggested they would be willing to sign him to a max dollar deal, even if they wouldn't be able to insur him.

Right, well that may be true, but they don't know the extent of his issues...Pittsburgh does. Obviously if there isn't an issue any longer then he gets paid. However, I think he does still have an issue, and I think Pittsburgh knows it. If they give him a max dollar deal they're either nuts, or he's 100 %.

Right, well that may be true, but they don't know the extent of his issues...Pittsburgh does. Obviously if there isn't an issue any longer then he gets paid. However, I think he does still have an issue, and I think Pittsburgh knows it. If they give him a max dollar deal they're either nuts, or he's 100 %.

Well, facts are that with his type of injury, you never really know if you are 100% or not.

The way one GM put it is that he would pay him, knowing there there is a big risk and he may get burned, but if he doesn't do it and Crosby goes on to greatness over the next 10+ years, he'll look even more foolish.

Well, facts are that with his type of injury, you never really know if you are 100% or not.

The way one GM put it is that he would pay him, knowing there there is a big risk and he may get burned, but if he doesn't do it and Crosby goes on to greatness over the next 10+ years, he'll look even more foolish.

Yeah I agree, and there's a lot of speculation involved. Another thing to consider is, regardless of the fact that it doesn't count against the cap when he's injured, many owners are not likely to want to pay a guy 10 million dollars (or whatever) to rehab. Look how much the Pittsburgh ownership lost over the last two years just because he wasn't in the lineup. GM's don't have to eat that cash, owners do.

It's always a tricky thing with concussions, and I'm obviously no doctor. But I do know that they get easier to get every time you have one. Crosby has a history of concussions back to the Juniors (I recall reading somewhere) and the last two that kept him out came on relatively soft, and relatively low, hits (by NHL standards). If I'm an owner I want to see one full year out of Crosby at close to 100% before I commit long term and for huge money. Who the f*** wants to sign the next Eric Lindros for the next 8 or 10 years?

Oh please people have been saying that for 10 + years and look we won two cups and made the playoffs every season. If it makes you feel any better I'm sure losing Nick and Brad dropped the average age down a bit.

and you don't "take a chance" on a 6.5mil forward.

You do when he has the ability to score 40 goals and 90 points.