• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

D Wideman traded to CGY, signs 5-yr contract

Rate this topic

...also, Calgary has 5 forwards to sign and have 7 D already signed..they have $12M in cap space. It was rumored that they were on Schultz's short list, does signing Wideman eliminate them? They have no spot for him to play...

That's where the rumors of them shopping Jay Bouwmeester come into play.

So if Wideman is worth $5.25m a year, what is Suter going to be worth?

That's what I was thinking. Suter 2 years younger, better defensively. Wideman has put up more points (marginally), not nearly as strong defensively. A career -39 for Wideman to Suter's +46. Despite looking at that bare statistical comparison, I think Suter's looking at more $7-million to start. $7.25-million I think is the sweet spot, just because he is the premiere defensive talent on the market this year and the options for other clubs just dwindled by 1.

Has there ever been an UFA who's rights have been traded that didn't immediately sign with that team? I can't think of any which makes me nervous to hear about anyone trying to acquire Parise or Suter's rights. I am aware that Poile said he would not trade Suter's rights but you never know.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I recall Mats Sundin's rights were traded by the Leafs to the Habs but he ended up signing with Vancouver.

Has there ever been an UFA who's rights have been traded that didn't immediately sign with that team? I can't think of any which makes me nervous to hear about anyone trying to acquire Parise or Suter's rights. I am aware that Poile said he would not trade Suter's rights but you never know.

I can't think of the details specifically off the top of my head, but wasn't there someone who had their rights traded 2 times within a couple of days last June because he wouldn't sign with the first team that traded for them? Think one of the teams was Buffalo for some reason.

edit: Christian Ehrhoff to the Islanders & then to Buffalo maybe? Of course Garth Snow would have to be involved.

Edited by ogreslayer

Dan Hamhuis is one that pops to mind recently.

Wow Suter is going to be one happy camper, if Wideman is worth 26 for 5 years, Ryan will go through the roof.

Expect a caphit of like 8.5+

Do we have to assume Suter's a money-grubber?

As for Wideman - like someone else already said: apart from being right-handed and possessing above-average offensive instincts (for a blue-liner), Wideman's really nothing special. He's been built up to be this premier top-4 defenseman because this UFA market is so obscenely thin. I'd much rather sign Garrison.

Edited by Dabura

Guest Johnz96

The Flames don't learn from their mistakes. With the salary cap You can't overpay players and expect to be successful. At least it's not as bad as the Bouwmeester or Stajan deals.

If the Flames don't make the playoffs this year, which they shouldn't, Iginla won't want to stay there

Wow Suter is going to be one happy camper, if Wideman is worth 26 for 5 years, Ryan will go through the roof.

Expect a caphit of like 8.5+

Honestly, right now Holland needs to throw the wallet at Suter.....10 years $90M...Suter is a MUST! It's our glaring need and Holland will need to overpay him to secure his services for the rest of his career!