• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Sidney Crosby signs 12-year, $104.4M Contract, $8.7M/yr

Rate this topic

I think there is way too much speculation going on regarding how much he'll get per year (i.e. front loading and low amounts at the end). I think it is a safe bet to assume that there will be some larger amounts at the front with a gradual decline, but that makes some sense, nothing wrong with that.

The huge difference between this 12 year deal and Zetterberg's deal is that Crosby signed his at 24 and Zetterberg signed his at 30 or 31 (also, I'm assuming Zetterberg's has a much steeper decline in salary towards the end, but that's pure speculation).

$8.7 million is an absolute steal. The risk of injury to him is a pure cash issue, not a cap issue. Locking him up at a cap hit of $8.7 per year for the next 12 years is a steal......offset that with the risk that they might be on the hook to pay him the cash with him playing if a concussion sidelines him. This assumes he can't be insured for concussions, which likely I would guess. If his contract was fully insured, there would be no risk at all....other than the cap coming down significantly, which isn't a signficant risk I wouldn't think.

So... Crosby just helped everyone out a little bit in terms of the Parise sweepstakes. Gonna be really hard to justify paying anyone over 9 million if that's what Crosby's making.

Exactly, unless you're better than Sidney Crosby and noone can legitimately say that with a straight face to their gm you aren't making past him. He wanted to take a paycut inorder to bring the best for their organization. Can't hate on that as much as i hate the kid. And yes, its a paycut in terms of his skill. Plenty of gms would easily pay him max and he would rate it. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

I'm really surprised he didn't get some sort of raise. Will Malkin be content to play for the same wages after everything he's done since signing his last contract?

It's because Crosby loves the number 87. His birthday is 8/7/87. Hence his jersey number. Hence the reason why the Consol Energy Center seats 18,087 people.

Exactly, unless you're better than Sidney Crosby and noone can legitimately say that with a straight face to their gm you aren't making past him. He wanted to take a paycut inorder to bring the best for their organization. Can't hate on that as much as i hate the kid. And yes, its a paycut in terms of his skill. Plenty of gms would easily pay him max and he would rate it. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

See I don't know what kind of standard GMs want to go by, especially our own. Sid's cap hit is 8.7 but he could be making 13-14 a year depending on the structure of the contract. Therefore, is a cap hit higher than 8.7 justifiable if the individual will only make something like 9.5 in actual dollars for that year? He'll have a higher cap hit than Crosby but he won't make more money.

I thought the NHL made lifelong, front-loaded contracts illegal after the Kovalchuk debacle?

Except Kovalchuk will be back in diapers by the time his contract is up. Crosby at 36 will just be out of them. And yes, hopefully this does affect the Parise $$$ cap hit, cause no one in the NHL should really be making more money than Crosby. Good signing by the Pens and for 8.7 mil/year, if the cap keeps going up, this will seem like a discount and they'll most likely sign Malkin for the same amount per year, if not the exact same contract. He's proven he's the real deal, even if i'm not a fan you gotta give credit where it's due and those 2 deserve it. Parise is max 7.5 now with Crosby being signed for a reasonable amount, not like most GM's in the league throwing stupid price tags for average players.

]

" We may hate him as a Penguin, but to be honest I'd love having Crosby reprasenting the winged wheel." !!!!!???????

If that was to happen, I would sell every bit of my Red Wings stuff on e-bay and find another team to root for.

Then obviously you care about your own personal hatred for a player than the actual success of the team.

As a lot of peep's here have said I hope he has a healthy career here on out. The amount however seem's a little low tbh so Im leaning towards he doesnt feel 100%. Crosby is bar none the best player in the game when healthy so either he's feeling a little worried about his longevity or is so egotistical that he REALLY, really loves his number...

]

" We may hate him as a Penguin, but to be honest I'd love having Crosby reprasenting the winged wheel." !!!!!???????

If that was to happen, I would sell every bit of my Red Wings stuff on e-bay and find another team to root for.

80EXj.gif

Don Cherry@CoachsCornerCBC

Pens had no choice but to give Crosby what he asked for, he's the best player in the world and deserves it. Now he has to decide is he a ...

Expand

Don Cherry@CoachsCornerCBC

tough guy or a superstar? I admire the way he plays but if you go looking for trouble in the NHL it will find you.

Expand