• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

G Quick signs 10-year extension with Kings

Rate this topic

Bad news for everyone else, the guy can win games by himself.

Well said, there was a good stretch last season where they were winning 1-0 or 2-1 games. He's a great fix for a sluggish offense (even though they turned it up come playoff time)

i like this stuff... why not 35 years extension?

Well said, there was a good stretch last season where they were winning 1-0 or 2-1 games. He's a great fix for a sluggish offense (even though they turned it up come playoff time)

just like Giguere. Those streches are called Perry and Getzlaf.

While I agree Quick is an outstanding goalie, I just don't think teams should lock up goalies long-term and for big bucks. Look how that turned out for Vancouver.

This era of the NHL sees goalies catch fire for several season, and then go cold instantly. It's happened to Vokoun, MAF, Roloson, Mason, etc.

Not to say that Quick can't be the exception, but that's a big investment.

The CBA is in DIRE need of a limit on contract length.

]

I think CBA was designed for this. They wanted to create hometown heroes and then spread the rest of the talent across the league. It's working pretty well in my opinion. Each team has its core where it invests most of its money, and the rest are either developing players or career bottom six.

In my opinion, it's not a good idea to include a goalie in the highly-paid core of your franchise. It hasn't panned out well in most situations, notable mentions being the disaster contracts of Bryz and DiPietro. Obviously you can't let a guy like Quick walk, so I suppose it's worth the risk. Though if I were a GM, I would try to sign goalies I like to well-paying, short contracts. It seems they play better when they're hungry and out to prove something when a contract year is coming up. Of course, I have no idea what goes into contract negotiations so maybe that's not a feasible thing.

Guest Heaten

I'd be pissed if Holland signed such a contract for a goalie. Quick proved to be good last season, but I doubt he sustains that level of play. With this new contract he'll probably get fat and lazy.

3rd highest paid goaltender behind Dipetro and Luongo.

Let's see if he can actually honor that contract over the whole length. I think he will though.

Didn't you just feel all sorts of wrong when you typed that name? Just doesn't seem right at all.

Oh, that had nothing to do with it being misspelled :P

You would think teams would learn, when was the last goaltender signed to a 7+ year deal to actually play that whole contract out??

I am going to call my study of this "the Dipietro hypothesis on contract length as it relates to rate of injury and GM stupidity! "

I was expecting more like 7 years, but if you're the Kings I think you probably have to make this gamble. Honestly Quick probably won't play at the level he did this year most seasons, but still is a very good goalie.

The Kings now have Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, and Richards locked up until 2016 and everyone but Kopi signed until 2019. That's a pretty solid core to build a competitive team around every year.

I'm a huge quick fan so I'm biased, but quick had every advantage over the kings. Lombardi wasn't in a great spot especially with the whole doughty situation. Either way I think quick will be good for six or seven years or more. I'd lock a great goalie like him for that period of time even if he declines later

I'm a huge quick fan so I'm biased, but quick had every advantage over the kings. Lombardi wasn't in a great spot especially with the whole doughty situation. Either way I think quick will be good for six or seven years or more. I'd lock a great goalie like him for that period of time even if he declines later

Ya he could have held out for a lot more over fewer years, but this shows to me he cares more about his team's continued success.

TSN.

Did the Los Angeles medical staff take a page out of the Pittsburgh manual?

I appreciate all the updates you have, but it'd be great if you would include a snippet of the article too.

The Los Angeles Kings announced via Twitter on Thursday that the Conn Smythe Trophy winner "underwent a minor surgical procedure to repair a disc fragment and an inflammatory cyst that had formed".