• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

St. James: Wings have inquired about Rick Nash

Rate this topic

WOW are you even serious???? .... Crosby, Ovechkin, Heatly, Hossa and Kovy put up on worse teams than the BJs in their past.???????

those players put up better numbers and they were on worse teams than columbus???how the hell was pittsburgh,washington,san jose etc... worse than columbus?? columbus is a laughing stock , and who the hell did rick nash ever have to play with???? all those players you mentioned above ALL had someone to play with

rick nash has been a lone ranger in columbus his whole career

Ovi's first couple years in WSH, Kovy, Hossa AND Heatley in ATL (different times)...

Nash played QUITE a few games with the likes of Fedorov, Vermette, Brassard, Vorachek, Prospal and most recently Carter...

So... You were saying?

I'm not saying your point isn't valid either, he hasn't had MUCH, but let's not act like he was carrying a pee-wee team into battle against NHL clubs either... He's had some talent around him...

With that said, I think he could also be more productive on a better team, but not worth what Columbus is asking...

Columbus had a higher payroll than the Wings this season, the excuses people make for Rick Nash are legendary.

If it was just a case of the talent around him I'd have expected him to lead team Canada in scoring in the 2010 Olympics. He managed to outscore only 2 forwards, and had the 3rd worst +/- of all forwards as well.

The argument about playing on a bad team works both ways, he won't be able to rack up assists, but he'll get more ice-time than he would on a better team so his production should even out.

He's a 60-75 pt guy who get's paid as if he's one of the elite players in the league. There isn't a player or prospect on the roster I'd want to trade, if we have to take on his ridiculous contract.

i checked hossa always had kovalchuk in atlanta .... kovalchuk always had heatley or hossa as well as marc savard and kozlov

ovie had no one his first season ill give you that , but he got semin in his 2nd and backstrom and green then came along

Nash played QUITE a few games with the likes of Fedorov, Vermette, Brassard, Vorachek, Prospal and most recently Carter -------- you cant be serious?? fedorov was on the decline of his career, brassard was/is a bust, voracek hit the 50 pt mark once , prospal's a decent player hardly ever was a star and joined the team at 36 and jeff carter?? come on he was such a bust he didnt even last the season and dont forget he was hurt

its simple rick nash has never had A star player to play with

Theres a reason why columbus has been at the bottom of the nhl for years , and no im not saying rick nash is worth what columbus is asking for i wouldnt give up all those assets for one single player , but if rick nash was here you better believe he'd be scoring 40-50

Columbus had a higher payroll than the Wings this season, the excuses people make for Rick Nash are legendary.

If it was just a case of the talent around him I'd have expected him to lead team Canada in scoring in the 2010 Olympics. He managed to outscore only 2 forwards, and had the 3rd worst +/- of all forwards as well.

The argument about playing on a bad team works both ways, he won't be able to rack up assists, but he'll get more ice-time than he would on a better team so his production should even out.

He's a 60-75 pt guy who get's paid as if he's one of the elite players in the league. There isn't a player or prospect on the roster I'd want to trade, if we have to take on his ridiculous contract.

i wouldnt take his ridiculous contract either and i wouldnt give up all thats asked for rick nash but i do think your so wrong about nash he's way more than a 60-75 pt guy and i do think if he goes to a good team hes gonna be so pumped up again and youll see a 40-50 goal season

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

i wouldnt take his ridiculous contract either and i wouldnt give up all thats asked for rick nash but i do think your so wrong about nash he's way more than a 60-75 pt guy and i do think if he goes to a good team hes gonna be so pumped up again and youll see a 40-50 goal season

If he was way more than a 75 pt guy he should have shown it by now. Not too many players reach a new level at 29 years old.

He may not have had an all-star centering his line, but he's gone through enough centers that by now we would have seen the elite Nash everyone keeps hoping for.

He doesn't suck, but he's closer to a Franzen than a Crosby.

Ovi's first couple years in WSH, Kovy, Hossa AND Heatley in ATL (different times)...

Nash played QUITE a few games with the likes of Fedorov, Vermette, Brassard, Vorachek, Prospal and most recently Carter...

So... You were saying?

I'm not saying your point isn't valid either, he hasn't had MUCH, but let's not act like he was carrying a pee-wee team into battle against NHL clubs either... He's had some talent around him...

With that said, I think he could also be more productive on a better team, but not worth what Columbus is asking...

A washed up Fed and those guys aren't exaclty a list of premier playmakers. The Carter experiment was just a failure all around. Edited by Number19

If Holland can convince the Blackhawks to trade Chris Chelios to us, anything can happen. We gave them an "up and coming" defenseman in Anders Eriksson and a couple of first rounders. We can trick another division basement dweller.

A washed up Fed and those guys aren't exaclty a list of premier playmakers. The Carter experiment was just a failure all around.

yea, because Carter was a real bust in LA and Prospal never had any 80 point seasons as a top level playmaker... oh wait...

Also, Fedorov, even at a declined level, was still an effective player when he went there... you could easily make the argument that maybe all those players would have put up better numbers on another team too...

Further, note the comment about Nash's performance in the Olympics - 3rd lowest point total on the team and a horrible +/- on a dream team of sorts...

You need to re-read my post too, I'm AGREEING that Nash could benefit from a change of scenery, and is a better player than his numbers in Colombus have dictated, but you're making him out to be the next coming of Gordon Howe, which he is not... all I'm doing here is playing devil's advocate and trying to keep things level here, as people are REALLY going to both extremes in this thread to try and proove their point - He is not Gordie Howe, he is also not a hack who shouldn't be paid top 6 money...

The long and the short of it is - he's a valuable asset, but Howson is over-valuing him. period.

Edited by stevkrause

The way I look at this is that Columbus' GM doesn't understand how to be a hockey GM. He is apparently asking OUTRAGEOUS demands for Nash. They need the cap space and to build around somebody else. Also they need to get multiple pieces and asking for a major player or two for Nash alone is not going to happen. I'll laugh if they don't trade him and he hits free agency and goes somewhere else, then they get nothing for him. LOL.

Good luck Columbus fan base.

WOW are you even serious???? .... Crosby, Ovechkin, Heatly, Hossa and Kovy put up on worse teams than the BJs in their past.???????

those players put up better numbers and they were on worse teams than columbus???how the hell was pittsburgh,washington,san jose etc... worse than columbus?? columbus is a laughing stock , and who the hell did rick nash ever have to play with???? all those players you mentioned above ALL had someone to play with

rick nash has been a lone ranger in columbus his whole career

Crosby had 39 goals and 102 points in his rookie year on a god awful team. 44pts ahead of the #2 scorer on his team (same could be said for Ovie in his first cuople years).

The thing is, if you are a 3rd or 4th liner and then you get to play with the top line, get top line minutes and top line situations, your stats should grow significantly, but if you are the star player on your team, getting top minutes and playing top situations, playing with better players shouldn't increase your stats astronomically. I don't want to say you wouldn't have better stats, because you probably would, but it likely wouldn't be as signficant as some think. The bigger impact of playing with better players would be having a better record as a team.

That said, Nash is a winger and as a general rule, wingers tend to need "help" producing, someone to feed them the puck. Centres should be able to crease offense on their own. This is of course a huge generalization, but I'm not afraid to throw it out there. Great centres will produce no matter who they play with, some upside if you plug in better wingers. Great wingers will produce as well, but if you plug in a great centre with them, I suspect their production would increase as a much higher rate than the other way around.

If Holland can convince the Blackhawks to trade Chris Chelios to us, anything can happen. We gave them an "up and coming" defenseman in Anders Eriksson and a couple of first rounders. We can trick another division basement dweller.

To be fair, Chelios requested a trade and I believe had a NTC so he could pick where he wanted to go. Chelios was in the driver's seat more than Holland mind-tricking the Hawks into that deal. And those were the days of Bill Wirtz, when the Hawks were an awfully managed franchise.

To be fair, Chelios requested a trade and I believe had a NTC so he could pick where he wanted to go. Chelios was in the driver's seat more than Holland mind-tricking the Hawks into that deal. And those were the days of Bill Wirtz, when the Hawks were an awfully managed franchise.

to add to your point, those were salary cap free days as well...

Edited by stevkrause

And the Jackets aren't an awfully managed franchise? Just sayin...

You don't think the team he plays for has something to do with that.

Exactly. Look back on when Nash has played the Wings. With the terrible line-mates he is always with always still manages to score against he Wings quite a fair bit even with Datsyuk or Zetterbergs line and Lidstrom against him. just think what he could do playing with Pavel.

He wouldn't exactally be a concelation prize if we couldn't get Parise or Suter but if he could come in and make a positive impact and the deal was right I'd be on board. However, I'm with most of you who say that we'd have to give up way to much for him so I hope we can make a big splash in Free Agency and get the right people with $$$ and not have to make to many trades.

Columbus said earlier today that they WOULD trade within the Central if the price was right....I wonder what that price would be?

Nash would be great here! We got plenty of cap space, plus whatever space we'd gain after the trade! Trade for Nash, Sign Parise and Suter, then round out the roster with lower level salaries.....Wonder if Garrison will cost less than Quincey? I sure do like Meuller as well... Wonder how the payroll would look with Parise/Nash/Semin/Suter/Garrison/Meuller on it? blue adams you out there? All depends on who we would have to give up for Nash too....sure wish they'd take Frazen off our hands, but I have a feeling it would start with Filppula...

Edited by LeftWinger

Columbus said earlier today that they WOULD trade within the Central if the price was right....I wonder what that price would be?

Nash would be great here! We got plenty of cap space, plus whatever space we'd gain after the trade! Trade for Nash, Sign Parise and Suter, then round out the roster with lower level salaries.....Wonder if Garrison will cost less than Quincey? I sure do like Meuller as well... Wonder how the payroll would look with Parise/Nash/Semin/Suter/Garrison/Meuller on it? blue adams you out there? All depends on who we would have to give up for Nash too....sure wish they'd take Frazen off our hands, but I have a feeling it would start with Filppula...

Any rational GM would need Flip as the center piece of any trade with the Wings. Therefore, Scott Howson would obviously want Franzen.

Now that I think about this I'd trade either Franzen or Filppula in some kind of package for Nash, then sign the best available winger in free agency and go with that. Also, I really don't think it's that unrealistic to think that Columbus would bite on a Franzen trade. You've giving up a lot of goals in Nash and would definitely want some coming back the other way. Franzen is going to consistently give you 25-30 goals and his cap hit is super reasonable. With the right package I think you could land Nash for that, but for whatever reason the Wings have some misplaced committment to Franzen that they won't get past.

What about trading Franzen, Filppula, and a pick(depends on the pick) for Nash? Cap wise both teams would be pretty close to what they are now, so the Wings could get Nash, Parise, and Suter while giving up Mule and Flip. Not saying CBJ would want those two nor am I sold on the idea of doing this but if Kenny feels like he needs to shake up the team, somewhat like LA & Philly has, why not consider this?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($7.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($0.850m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.750m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

(NaN) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.500m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,112,500; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,087,500

Edited by Wings4Life19