• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

I was introduced to this show just before season two began, and since then I have watched every episode (some multiple times) and read almost through to the end of Feast for Crows. This is an amazing story, some of the best television I have ever seen, and perhaps the deepest plot with some of the most complex characters I have ever known.

I figured the eight of us who frequent the Water Cooler could chat about either the television or book story lines, theories, actors, etc. Or am I the only one who knows about this story?

#2 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

I was introduced to this show just before season two began, and since then I have watched every episode (some multiple times) and read almost through to the end of Feast for Crows. This is an amazing story, some of the best television I have ever seen, and perhaps the deepest plot with some of the most complex characters I have ever known.

I figured the eight of us who frequent the Water Cooler could chat about either the television or book story lines, theories, actors, etc. Or am I the only one who knows about this story?

I've been watching it since it initially aired last year. It's a great series, HBO tends to release some phenomenal shows and this is no exception. I have not read any of the books as i'm not much of a reader but I like the show enough regardless. Many people I know complain that it's slow and there's no action, but it doesn't take away from the series for me. It has a great story, very deep character development and an impressive overall unique experience.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

The books are some of the best reading I have ever had. George RR Martin is truly an impressive wordsmith.

The series deviated a bit in the second season, and there are some loose ends that I'm intrigued to see how they'll fix. Usually when a show or movie changes from the book, I don't like the adjustments, but HBO has really impressed in that regard.

#4 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I actually own the first three books of the series, but i'm just not much of a heavy reader. I'll get around to them at some point, I think when it comes to making a television series like this straying from the storyline the books tell leaves it a little more open ended if the series gets cancelled and they need to abruptly finish it. Not sure if you ever watched Deadwood but it got cancelled midway through the third season and there was no closure to the series because of how deep they got into the story.

For me though, I have read books and then saw the movie and I enjoy a bit of a branch off so you don't know exactly what's going to happen as you watch it.

*spoiler alert*
With that said, as it stands now Daenerys is probably my current favorite character, the storyline with the dragons is exciting although Khal didn't stick around long enough for my taste. He was an awesome character, along with Sean Bean playing Eddard. Probably my only two gripes with it so far was those two checking out in the first season.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#5 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

I've been a fan of the books for a long time, and was very excited when I heard about the show coming to HBO. So far, I think they're doing an excellent job with it. The first season followed the book as closely as you can in a 10 episode season, with only relatively minor changes. Season 2 did stray a bit farther from the book narrative, but I can understand the changes. Book stories rarely translate perfectly to an exciting screenplay, liberties have to be taken. I think they've kept the spirit of the story intact, and that's what counts. The Battle of the Blackwater in season 2 was one of the most epic hours of television I've ever seen.

#6 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image

works every time

#7 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

I've been a fan of the books for a long time, and was very excited when I heard about the show coming to HBO. So far, I think they're doing an excellent job with it. The first season followed the book as closely as you can in a 10 episode season, with only relatively minor changes. Season 2 did stray a bit farther from the book narrative, but I can understand the changes. Book stories rarely translate perfectly to an exciting screenplay, liberties have to be taken. I think they've kept the spirit of the story intact, and that's what counts. The Battle of the Blackwater in season 2 was one of the most epic hours of television I've ever seen.

The Battle of Blackwater Bay was amazing, and after seeing it, I'm excited to see how they will portray a certain event in the third book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users