• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Valtteri Filppula - we should get him locked up as soon as possible

Rate this topic

i dont know how anyone else feels but i think we should just lock him up for another 4-5 years asap , when this deal ends he will be 29 .... i really dont wanna go past 5+ million for him

if we sign him now for 5 years at 4 mill per do you guys think he would take it?? beside this past season where he got 66 pts he hit 40 pts once and below that every other year its a risk that could pay for us like it did with kronwall

filppula 5 yrs for 20 million , would you do it?? would filppula sign you think?

He's a key redwing and cant take the chance he'd test the market

See what the summer and first part of next season bring. He's probably the Wings' most desirable roster player in a trade scenario. This team can't stay the same forever...

I completely agree. I'm a huge Flip fan but I'd say he's our best bargaining chip for any major deals that may get done. It'd be tough to see him go but if it's a deal to bring a player who puts us over the top and into another Stanley Cup Final, I'm all for it.

If Filppula isn't used as part of a huge deal to bring someone else in, I'd hope Kenny gets to work ASAP after July 1st to get him re-signed.

He'll be asking for more than 20 mil at 5 years.

I think that's well worth it. He's only getting better.

Edit: sorry its early haha just realized it said more than but still worth it. Idk though he might take a little less than he could get. I hear he could be next in line for the C after zette.. Might take a little less than he's worth. Maybe not for 5 years tho

Edited by amato

See what the summer and first part of next season bring. He's probably the Wings' most desirable roster player in a trade scenario. This team can't stay the same forever...

I completely agree. I'm a huge Flip fan but I'd say he's our best bargaining chip for any major deals that may get done. It'd be tough to see him go but if it's a deal to bring a player who puts us over the top and into another Stanley Cup Final, I'm all for it.

If Filppula isn't used as part of a huge deal to bring someone else in, I'd hope Kenny gets to work ASAP after July 1st to get him re-signed.

I think he's plateaued to be honest with you. I would give him 3.5 or 4 million a year if we had to, it wouldn't be outrageous, but I don't necessarily see him being a career Red Wing.

There was an article not too long ago in KuklasKorner and FSDetroit stating that the Wings organization is possibly already grooming him for future captaincy. Not sure how much of it is true or just speculation by the author (Art Regner):

The next player to have the coveted spot next to Yzerman . . . was Zetterberg, who became Yzerman's neighbor.

. . .

Zetterberg [was] chosen to sit next to Yzerman because [he was] being groomed to be Detroit's future captain. It's the Red Wings way.

. . .

And for those of you wondering who sits next to Zetterberg in the dressing room these days?

It's Valtteri Filppula, a player the organization views as just scratching the surface of his enormous potential and captain material.

Personally, I find it impossible to see Filppula in any form of leadership role. I just don't see it.

This is me right here as well. I like Flip...but the feeling I always get from him and i'm not sure why is just a feeling of meh....I don't see him no where near a leadership role.

Personally, I find it impossible to see Filppula in any form of leadership role. I just don't see it.

It surprised me when I read that as well. I guess maybe he different behind the scenes. The only think that I could think of is that he plays hard almost all the time and seems to have a great work ethic which might translate into the leadership by example they want to show.

I disagree. I think Flip finally found his confidence and the Wings have been waiting for him to emerge. I think he is leadership material and he is respected by his peers in the dressing room for being a very talented 2 way guy. Another year like last and he could be nominated for the Selke.

If anyone should go, it should be Franzenfloat. He had one great year in a series of injuries, disappointments and laziness. I'd love to have him involved in a trade for someone who doesnt take 20 seconds to loggygag back to the bench.

I may be in the minority but I feel Flips game will only grow and mature and he is going to be a priority to lock him up

Agreed.

IMHO the chance of Flip netting 20 plus goals, and 60 plus points is rather unlikely; he's not some 22 year old on his way up - he's 28, and will likely go back to being a 40 point guy.

I wouldn't mind him remaining a Red Wing - however if he's part of a package that'll get us a guy like Ryan - then by all means he should be a part of that package.

Same.

2 things:

1 - Having come off a monster season (for him if you compare to his other seasons), if you wanted to sign him now, he'd be looking to cash in on his one big year and would want more than a $1 million raise.

2 - would be pretty risky to lock him up at a big number without him proving more. That said, the Wings have had a knack at doing that (locking guys up early for more money than most people think they have earned, but then the deals turn out good down the road). They haven't really gotten burned too much on that type of thing.

I would hope Kenny doesn't re-sign Flip until the upcoming mid season. Kind of see if last year wasn't just a career year and he goes back to being on the bottom end of top six player. If he is on pace for another 60 point season come mid season $4.5M is the most I would give him. The only possible way he gets more is if he shows he can perform at that same level if not better without Z or D on his line. And I personally don't think he has the ability to hold down the second line without another top end player like Z or D. In other words he doesn't make the other players around him better he just completes a line.

Before this past year, it felt like Filppula missed about an open net per game. The guy knows how to get into position, he's good enough on his skates to force seperation, and I absolutely love the way that he sees the ice. Sometimes he misreads the play half-way through it, but I think that's what was changing over this past year.

See what happens in free agency. If we don't land Suter, you trade him for a defensman. If you do get Suter, there's no reason to deplete your forward depth.

2 things:

1 - Having come off a monster season (for him if you compare to his other seasons), if you wanted to sign him now, he'd be looking to cash in on his one big year and would want more than a $1 million raise.

2 - would be pretty risky to lock him up at a big number without him proving more. That said, the Wings have had a knack at doing that (locking guys up early for more money than most people think they have earned, but then the deals turn out good down the road). They haven't really gotten burned too much on that type of thing.

I think he is a priority but have no problem waiting to see his point production for the 1st half of the year next year. The thing about Flip is that even IF he doesn't get beyond a 60 point guy, he is a fantastic 2 way guy which makes him more valuable than an average 40 point guy in the NHL.

We don't have to worry though...I think he will have another big year on the scoreboard!

I could see Flip in a leadership role. He is consistently one of the hardest working guys out there, and that has been a very highly regarded leadership quality in Detroit. If Helmer develops a bit more skill though I see him overtaking him in the queue.