• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jroc86

Filp at center?

Rate this topic

With Brunner apparently coming into the fold next year and being given top 6 minutes to begin with what do you guys think of possibily putting Filpula at center full-time? This is assuming of course that we can land a stud free agent (Parise/Semin ideally ... or even a Doan, Jagr) who would likely slot in the top 6. Theres also some speculation that Kenny will try and bring back Samulssen - which I wouldnt mind in the least. Hes a big body, that knows the system, and can blast the puck. If his injury issues from Vancouver are behind him I say throw him a short deal. Heres some line combos that are pretty versatile and I think would give us possibly the most skilled top-9 in the league ... allot of this is based on my gut feeling that Brunners speed will really be a big factor in allowing him for a smoother transition to the NHL than most people think. So ...

1) Nyquist Datsyuk Semin

2) Brunner Zetterberg Franzen

3) Bertuzzi Filpula Samulssen

4) Cleary Helm Abdelkader

Miller/Eaves

If we dont acquire a depth forward a "healthy" Cleary with wheels would fit in great on the 3rd line. If Brunner is a wash Filp goes back to the 2nd line and Abby centers the 4th line again. Millers productive season last year and consistent effort last year really endeared him to me and Id like to see him in the lineup as he deserves a spot. If we get 2 forwards in free agency though and Brunner sticks - hes gona be watching from the press box allot Im afraid.

This is exactly what should happen!! Been saying this since they split them up.

But Datsyuk and Zetterberg were split up because they stopped having that high level of chemistry that made them the Eurotwins to begin with. When they are reunited they generally don't dominate like they usually do separately. That's why they stay apart, I think. They've evolved into being their own players, but when they were younger they complemented each other more, I think.

But Datsyuk and Zetterberg were split up because they stopped having that high level of chemistry that made them the Eurotwins to begin with. When they are reunited they generally don't dominate like they usually do separately. That's why they stay apart, I think. They've evolved into being their own players, but when they were younger they complemented each other more, I think.

Hmm interesting.. Yea I guess I can see that now that I'm thinking about it. I just thought of it as more of a depth thing. I'd love to see Z-pasha-nyq on a line. I think if they worked together from the beginning this year, they'd blend really well together. Depending on what we do in the offseason nyq might be a couple years out of top 6 but I think he'll get there sooner or later.

But yea, I think if Z and dats start working together, they'll find that high level of play again. Just my opinion I guess but its at least worth a try.

Flip had is best season ever playing on the Wing and Zetterberg is a much better center than Filppula. Babs recently told the press he thinks Helm is the best 3rd line center in the league (don't necessarily agree, but it indicates that is where Babs will play him).

The Wings are one of only a handful of teams that have the benefit of two legitimate 1st line centers pivoting the top 2 lines. I just feel like it'd be counterproductive to remove Flip from the position in which he saw the most success, and thrust him back into a position where he struggled somewhat.

Moving Flip down to the third line center would only make sense if we signed several high end top 6 players, which I just don't see happening.

First of all, if he does move back to C don't expect him to put up the same points as last season - especially if its on the 3rd line.

Secondly, if he does end up centering the 3rd line, it means we've had a good off-season and we have the depth to put Helm and Abdelkader on the 4th line :)

I think Filppula's game is much better suited for a 2nd line role where he can find some space and set up plays. I may try something like...

Filppula-Datsyuk-Semin/Parise

Brunner-Zetterberg-Franzen

Nyquist-Helm-Mursak

Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Cleary

...just to see if you could spark some of the secondary scoring like we had in the 2008 cup run. But Filppula would be wasted as #3C, imo.

Parise - Datsyuk - Franzen

Filppula - Zetterberg - Doan

That ain't half-bad either.

I would go with

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Parise-Filppula-Doan

But like Marian Hossa, if Parise comes to Detroit, they'll probably promise him that he'll play with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

First of all, if he does move back to C don't expect him to put up the same points as last season - especially if its on the 3rd line.

Secondly, if he does end up centering the 3rd line, it means we've had a good off-season and we have the depth to put Helm and Abdelkader on the 4th line :)

Well I don't think your first statement is completely fair just yet. He proved he can put up points and that gives him confidence for this upcoming contract year. Now the goal or next step for him is to put up the points and take care of the centerman duties. He still isn't a finished product imo. Or at least, I don't think it's quite fair to say he's done developing, especially when you got Pav and Z in front of you.

But I agree with your second statement. I like him as the third line center sometimes because then it shows some dangerous depth. Just imagine if the Wings were so powerful that you had Franzen-Filppula-(Right Wing) as your third line.

Sammy on a line with Bert would be awful. Just saying. Not opposed on getting Sammy back since he does know the system. BUT of course for the right price. Sammy would be a better cheaper option for now than Huds imo.

And on regards to Filppula playing center not sure tbh pends on who we get kind of too early to tell just yet...

Guest irishock

Samuelson? That's blasphemy round these parts.

It's a Kenny-esque move

It's a Kenny-esque move

And the man was clutch for the Wings. Remember folks, there was a time when Flip was a pretty nifty 3rd line C...

That being said I can't think who was on the second line during 08 and 09? Would imagine Z 09 since Hossa would be up on the 1st with Dats and Homer...?

Not to mention look at the third line centre we could have had last year (2010-11) if it had gone more smoothly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Modano :( would have loved him to have a strong full season

Well I don't think your first statement is completely fair just yet. He proved he can put up points and that gives him confidence for this upcoming contract year. Now the goal or next step for him is to put up the points and take care of the centerman duties. He still isn't a finished product imo. Or at least, I don't think it's quite fair to say he's done developing, especially when you got Pav and Z in front of you.

Plenty on the Wings credited his move to wing as one of the reasons for his increase in points - including Flip and Babs. Babcock's system places a lot more defensive responsibility on the center than it does on the wingers.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Parise-Filppula-Doan

My only beef with that is Franzen. Like, you look at that first line and say, "Oh, hey, it's like ZDH 2.0." And maybe that's what it'd be. ...But my gut says that playing with Z and D would just make Franzen even lazier. Why work his ass off in front of the net when there are so many beautiful, juicy playmaking passes to receive around the perimeter, where it's safer, less physically brutalizing, more joyous? I guess I'm thinking playing on a line with Parise might spark something in him, light something under his ass. And even if it doesn't, Parise's a mad dog on the forecheck, which, I like to think, would counterbalance Franzen's laziness.

Bottom line, though? Parise and Doan would give us arguably the best top-6 in the league (at least on paper).

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Doan/Franzen

Parise - Filppula - Franzen/Doan

Parise - Datsyuk - Doan/Franzen

Filppula - Zetterberg - Franzen/Doan

Very Sexy.

(Something something Flip at center somethingsomething.)