• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Parise and Suter are obviously the center pieces. If you're concerned about the quality of the team they are coming in to, I'm sure Holland is letting them know that if they sign here he will make some lower level moves to round out the defense and forward corps.

I think players like to think they are important, and even though the Wings have struggled the past few years, they would love to be the saviors of any franchise. And the Wings, out of all the teams in the league, have a proven tradition of winning and doing what needs to be done, so they are the team closest to turning things around, I think. Would you rather take a risk on a team like Minnesota which very well could miss playoffs again, or try to be the final piece on the Wings, which is going to make playoffs at the very least?

I don't think Detroit is such a bad place to end up if you are a young UFA looking to be a hero and a Cup winner.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#42 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'm already starting to panic seeing Twwets that Pittsburgh is ready to offer Parise 10/75-85 mil. While Parise isn't the biggest need, he's my favorite non-Wing and would love to see him rocking the Winged Wheel.

That said, my guessing and feelings about tomorrow are cloudier than they've ever been going into July 1.

Just have to wait and see...

I'm fairly confident Holland would offer the same for Parise's services. It'll boil down to where he wants to play or in other words, Datsyuk vs. Crosby?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#43 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm fairly confident Holland would offer the same for Parise's services. It'll boil down to where he wants to play or in other words, Datsyuk vs. Crosby?

I think it depends on if he wants to live in the shadows of Crosby and Malkin. Some players don't want that. ( Staal)

#44 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

If you mean the people that post on here, you are going to be disappointed. Many of them will panic even if we get both. If we don't get both, I expect a meltdown...
Do or do not. There is no try

#45 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

in chatting with people over the recent weeks, I keep hearing Detroit is a hotbed for free agents, everyone's dream would be to play for Detroit, its the greatest franchise in history, these players would be idiots if they didn't sign here, etc.. Well, As far as I see, the glory years of the dominant Wings franchise have passed. All of those things were true at one point. But now, there are no dominant forces in the league. Every team has a chance at the cup. Why would/should these players sign in Detroit? Because we can pay top dollar? (just like most other teams), because of the Wings history? These guys are a part of the present, and future. When it comes to who to sign with, who cares about history (In my opinion) And to top it off, our city is a piece of SH*T. Even our suburbs are in a definite decline. If I was an NHL player (obviously am not) I would look at the team first. Swiss cheese defense, (even with the addition of Suter), only 3 strong and consistent forwards (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Helm) and only 2 high end prospects (Smith, Nyquist). So, why would these guys want to come here? Lidstrom is gone, that power house franchise that once was the hotbed for free agents is long gone. As far as I can see, not signing Parise and Suter is bad enough. but even if we do land both, there's still some holes to fill.

Worst post of the day so far. Even if we sign them both, this person is not happy. The negativity is astounding.
Do or do not. There is no try

#46 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

I think it depends on if he wants to live in the shadows of Crosby and Malkin. Some players don't want that. ( Staal)

TBH, if that is a factor, I believe its a low one. It's not as if Dats and Z are chopped liver.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#47 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

If Pittsburgh is offering only $7.5M/season for Parise? That's insulting. Parise can get lots more elsewhere. And contrary to popular belief, not everyone is dying to play with Crysob.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#48 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Crysob.

Gold.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#49 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

Apparently the Red Wings are "eliminated" from the Parise sweepstakes per TSN. "Gino Reda", the Red Wings are not coming to talk to Parise.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#50 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

It is all conditional. I still say that cap management takes point. There are other options, but I am willing to wait until the dust settles to panic. However, if they both go to a few teams I will panic. I would rather get both of them if only to move them a year or two later than to see them go elsewhere.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#51 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Apparently the Red Wings are "eliminated" from the Parise sweepstakes per TSN. "Gino Reda", the Red Wings are not coming to talk to Parise.

There hasn't been a single team's representatives show up to talk to Paise. He never once used the word eliminated. He cleary and specifically said that Detroit is still very interested and making an offer for him.

Posted Image

#52 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

There hasn't been a single team's representatives show up to talk to Paise. He never once used the word eliminated. He cleary and specifically said that Detroit is still very interested and making an offer for him.

Tsn is trying to create a story....if you've noticed the little tweets on the bottom of the screen....one said Holland was crazy or something to that effect...

#53 Grateful Gadsby

Grateful Gadsby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

How is it "apparent" that the Wings are "eliminated"? According to Khan, Parise's agent pulled the plug on in-person meetings since 20 teams asked for one and there was no way to accommodate them all. http://www.mlive.com..._mike_ilit.html

Please post a link to your "elimination" source if you're able to come up with one (and/or try to grab a few more facts next time).

#54 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Anyword from the Suter meeting yet?

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan, 01 July 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#55 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

TBH, if that is a factor, I believe its a low one. It's not as if Dats and Z are chopped liver.

Your right but as far as the media attention goes they are not even close. My point was players have to be ok with going to Crosby land to play in Pittsburgh.

#56 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

I would hate to consider that our team's success for the next year hinges on signing these two players. The money being discussed seems way too high for me. I hope Holland is chasing down a combinations of forwards that combined will be the right compliment to the Wings & leaves them opportunity to improve in years to come.

Anybody heard anything on Prust. Asham would have been good. Blue Shirts got a fair price for him.

#57 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

I would hate to consider that our team's success for the next year hinges on signing these two players. The money being discussed seems way too high for me. I hope Holland is chasing down a combinations of forwards that combined will be the right compliment to the Wings & leaves them opportunity to improve in years to come.

Anybody heard anything on Prust. Asham would have been good. Blue Shirts got a fair price for him.

Prust signs with Montreal as per twitter

#58 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Crap. I wanted Prust.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#59 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Prust signs with Montreal as per twitter

thanx, that's a drag. I don't see much sandpaper out there. We needed that most, after D.

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

We all did, drake. We all did. :no:

Don't Toews me, bro!