• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings Sign G Jonas Gustavsson to 2-year deal, $1.5M/yr

Rate this topic

If he can rebound this season, it'll be nice to be able to give Howard some rest once in awhile. He's more than capable of the workload he's been getting the past couple years but I'd rather see him more well-rested for the playoffs.

Big fan of this signing. I don't think he'll ever be the "monster" in the NHL but the guy has size and ability to be a good backup or tandem goalie with good d in front of him

Guest Heaten

Hate it. Gustavsson's sucked since he came over. Couldn't hold a job for the Leafs. Joey MacDonald was amazing last year when needed. Nothing short of amazing. what happened to earning your spot?

Do any goalies do good in Toronto? I sincerely don't know. It seems Giguere didn't bode to well there, either.

Can you imagine a goalie coach telling hasek when he entered the league that he either had to play stand up or butterfly? That's what the Leafs actually did to the monster. Hopefully he is allowed to play to his strengths here.

Wasn't on my radar at all but I think its a great signing.

The Wings always get great value out of the goalie position. To put things into perspective, the Pens have 7 million locked up on goalies alone. The Wings have 2.75 mil.

This has potential to be one of our strongest tandems in a long time.

I saw him quite a bit in the SEL when he actually WAS a Monster. Had high hopes for him when he went to the NHL, but in retrospect Toronto definitely seems like it was a bad fit for him. Bad defense, tons of pressure on the goalie position, lots of media.. didn't help that he had issues with his heart as well.

If there is one place where he'll be able to recover and find his way again, it's here. Lots of fellow swedes, not much pressure on him playing behind Howard, but a great opportunity to play 30+ games if he performs well. There's not much to lose if he continues to be the up and down goalie he's been in TO, but there's a lot to win if he starts living up the nickname again.

Good signing.

Guest Hatethedrake!

We now have 7 swedes on the team..Zetterberg,.Franzen, Samuelsson, Nyquist, Kronwall, Ericsson, Gustavsson. :tounge:

Well, I am one of those that thought Joey Mac was a great backup and surprised that we didn't sign him and instead picked up the Monster. I don't think we need to push Jimmy, before his injury, he was the goalie with the most wins for a long stretch of the season. Hell, wasn't he an alternate in the All-Stars? That's why I thought JMac would be a solid backup. Some goalies don't need to always worry about losing the net after one or two bad outings, that actually shakes their confidence. I hope this doesn't send the wrong message to Jimmy management don't trust him or something. And $1.5 mill/yr, I think we could have done with league minimum to give Gus a shot at proving himself.

I think he's a better choice than Joey, even though I like him and think he is capable I don't think Babcock feels the same way. We need to have a good backup in place that can split the season with Jimmy. I really think that Babcock has over played Jimmy the last couple seasons and if that continues his career will be shortened because his body won't be able to hold up. I'd much rather have a good goalie tandum that we can trust.

I think we will play 30+ games at least. He is a good fit for us.

This would be good.

Looks like with this signing, JoeyMac is asking to be traded, per the latest "twitterrumors" from Andy Strickland.

Goalie Joey MacDonald would like the Red Wings to trade him to team where he has chance to stick on NHL roster. Makes one-way money next (year)

I think the open mindedness of a guy like Bedard, will help him very much,

Alliare is known for having a my way or the highway type attitude, he was/is great with Butterfly goalies.

But very few goalies in the league have a style any more. Most are becoming hybrid goalies, which I guess is a style.

He will come in and not be expected to compete for the starting gig right away, that is a lot of pressure. Now he comes in and knows he is the backup unless something drastic happens (knocking on wood).

The lack of stress and the new goalie coach I think will be a big step in the right direction for this guy!

Decent signing!