esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#23 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

excellent signing! A bit of surpise for me but it makes it even better!
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#24 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hell ya bring in the monster! RAWR

#25 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

17-17-4/.902/2.92 behind a not so great Jets team. I'll take him over Conks any day of the week.

#26 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Very good backup ... I can't even seem to remember who our backup was this year? Conks?

#27 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

The monster!! Haha yes. Best option on backup IMO

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#28 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Pinned thread right up above. :)
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#29 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

@TheFourthPeriod: Wings were in on Gustavsson when he first joined the NHL. He understands backup roll. Good addition for Detroit.

#30 MrBest7

MrBest7

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

#31 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

I like this signing. He seemed to have confidence issues in TO. I think that there is less pressure having Howard in front in Detroit. He is also a big bodied goaltender that can take away most of the net. If he's not on, at least he's huge.
Also, I wasn't interested in bringing in an old vet and having him out the next season.

Edited by dirtydangles, 01 July 2012 - 11:51 AM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#32 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Strange, can't find a stats page for him on NHL.com. Didn't he play for Toronto last year?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#33 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Gustafsson was in Toronto all year, not Winnipeg. Toronto traded his rights to Winnipeg in late June who did bugger all with it.
So Toronto don't get their draft pick in return now I assume.

However he had a crap team in front of him in Toronto too.

#34 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Already a thread on this topic.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#35 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Also consider that IF gus picks up his level and becomes possible No1 material like Harding we could get decent assets for his services in a trade considering his age.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#36 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

I like this signing. He seemed to have confidence issues in TO. I think that there is less pressure having Howard in front in Detroit. He is also a big bodied goaltender that can take away most of the net. If he's not on, at least he's huge.
Also, I wasn't interested in bringing in an old vet and having him out the next season.

You can blame the fans and the media there for his confidence issues. Leafs have some of the worst fans in Hockey, they are loyal but they are the most bi-polar fans. Instead of blaming Phaneuff for pinching into plays he has no business to and causing 2 on 1 chances all over the ice they blame Gustavsson for letting in the goal and start booing him off the ice. Im hoping Leafs get stuck with Reimer and Scrivens as there goaltenders and just bomb the season.

Anyways, good signing for Wings. He's a big goaltender (6'4 I believe) and is fast at moving laterally. Good backup.

Edited by darkmanx, 01 July 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#37 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Great move, Kenny! The Monster will be the best backup we've had in years. Finally the Wings have someone that they can go with when Jimmy gets in one of his month-long slumps.

Hopefully this is only the first great move today

#38 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

I live near Toronto and have seen Gus play quite a bit. He's got good potential. Without the pressure of being the number one guy, with all of the other Swedish players here, I think this will help him settle down a bit and be more consistent.

The only point of concern is his possible heart issues but that doesn't appear to be an issue at this point.

#39 Marxx71

Marxx71

Danny DeKeyser

• 42 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Great to see "Monstret" in Red Wings!

#40 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

What a waste of cap space. MacDonald is better and there are cheaper options who are better. (probably half of the goalies in the AHL).