• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Red Wings Sign G Jonas Gustavsson to 2-year deal, $1.5M/yr

Rate this topic

I live in Toronto too, the most bipolar and ungrateful fans I've ever come across are Toronto Maple Leaf fans.

Gustavsson was better than the defense in Toronto.

Reimer and Scrivens will be the ones to blame this year. Everyone in Toronto knows that Alaire is the worst goaltending coach in the league, he doesn't let you adapt to your style instead he wants you to play his way.

Agreed - he shouldn't be playing a strictly butterfly like he was forced to do in Toronto - more of a hybrid like Osgood and Brodeur.

Really like this signing.

Well, I am one of those that thought Joey Mac was a great backup and surprised that we didn't sign him and instead picked up the Monster. I don't think we need to push Jimmy, before his injury, he was the goalie with the most wins for a long stretch of the season. Hell, wasn't he an alternate in the All-Stars? That's why I thought JMac would be a solid backup. Some goalies don't need to always worry about losing the net after one or two bad outings, that actually shakes their confidence. I hope this doesn't send the wrong message to Jimmy management don't trust him or something. And $1.5 mill/yr, I think we could have done with league minimum to give Gus a shot at proving himself.

I think it has more to do with the fact that having two fairly young goalies is better than having one and a vet. Our cupboard is pretty bare prospects wise. I'm not sure how old Gustavsson is, I'm guessing 24ish? I think it's more to add depth than send a message to Howard. This is the Wings preparing for the future.

I think it has more to do with the fact that having two fairly young goalies is better than having one and a vet. Our cupboard is pretty bare prospects wise. I'm not sure how old Gustavsson is, I'm guessing 24ish? I think it's more to add depth than send a message to Howard. This is the Wings preparing for the future.

He's 27.

i like it. hes not all that old for a goalie and with a more sound defensive team hopefully he can tighten things up himself. hopefully can keep howie sharp as well... good job KH! 1 hole filled, couple more left

Edited by DangleDangleBeach

Great move, Kenny! The Monster will be the best backup we've had in years. Finally the Wings have someone that they can go with when Jimmy gets in one of his month-long slumps.

Hopefully this is only the first great move today

I live near Toronto and have seen Gus play quite a bit. He's got good potential. Without the pressure of being the number one guy, with all of the other Swedish players here, I think this will help him settle down a bit and be more consistent.

The only point of concern is his possible heart issues but that doesn't appear to be an issue at this point.

Do any goalies do good in Toronto? I sincerely don't know. It seems Giguere didn't bode to well there, either.

No, because their goalie coach is very closed-minded. He makes the goalies conform to his style rather than let them play their natural style and then tweak it like Bedard does for the Wings goalies.

Guest Johnz96

No, because their goalie coach is very closed-minded. He makes the goalies conform to his style rather than let them play their natural style and then tweak it like Bedard does for the Wings goalies.

Reimer was great in 2010-11

Guest Heaten

I have not watched Gustavsson play a bunch, but the half dozen or so time I did watch him, he was a brick wall and let nothing through and didn't give up rebounds. He reminds me of Pekka Rinne.

He was frustrating to watch when Red Wings played him because didn't let anything through and was rock solid in net. Hakkan must love this kid.