• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Great move, Kenny! The Monster will be the best backup we've had in years.

Fully agree with this. *thumbs up*

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

17-17-4/.902/2.92 behind a not so great Jets team. I'll take him over Conks any day of the week.

He never played for the Jets and I don't think he is any better than Conklin, I live in Toronto and saw a lot of him he is very inconsistent

#43 Wingydingy19

Wingydingy19

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

What a waste of cap space. MacDonald is better and there are cheaper options who are better. (probably half of the goalies in the AHL).

Couldn't agree LESS. Macdonald is not a viable backup, he doesn't push Jimmy whatsoever and never will. Monster was 17-17-4 with gaa under 3 and save % over .900 last year for the worst team or one of in the league. He's only 27 and will actually push jimmy when he struggles. Great signing, absolutely no reason no to like this.

#44 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Not a bad signing! I think he can provide solid relief in Detroit! Hell, he can't be any worse then Conklin. I stamp my approval on this signing!

Posted Image

#45 EastonWings

EastonWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Good signing. Gus played on a horrible team and showed flashes. The guy could be a sleeper and even challenge Howard. Good move if he's a one or two.

#46 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Was trying to find his stats but I see some have posted them for last season. I think they will make a great team. Hopefully he will be able to take all the criticism the first time he as a "bad" game :P

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#47 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

I have not watched Gustavsson play a bunch, but the half dozen or so time I did watch him, he was a brick wall and let nothing through and didn't give up rebounds. He reminds me of Pekka Rinne.

He was frustrating to watch when Red Wings played him because didn't let anything through and was rock solid in net. Hakkan must love this kid.

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Decent signing.

Never understood why they called him "Monster" or whatever it was. Never looked that solid in Toronto, but maybe it's because they sucked so much.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Decent signing.

Never understood why they called him "Monster" or whatever it was. Never looked that solid in Toronto, but maybe it's because they sucked so much.

6'3" 192lbs.

Posted Image

#50 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
Toronto is a great city with a bad hockey team

Great city....except for NHL goalies who aren't perfect.

#51 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I like this, two young goalies with tons of potential battling it out.

Love this signing welcome to Hockeytown Gustavsson :-)

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#52 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I like this signing!! Welcome to Detroit Monster :)
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#53 Tane

Tane

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hate it. Gustavsson's sucked since he came over. Couldn't hold a job for the Leafs. Joey MacDonald was amazing last year when needed. Nothing short of amazing. what happened to earning your spot?

#54 Wingydingy19

Wingydingy19

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Thank you for that lovely story of you not buying anything NHL and that you get red wing merchandise occasionally for free. Not sure what that has to do with the signing of monster or you trying to defend the city of Toronto which were the topics we were discussing but hey, what can I tell ya. Either way, I hate your city, love the the minimal risk signing for the wings and any wing fan who isn't afraid to pony up $20 for a wing hat or t-shirt would probably say the same about the acquisition of monster. That's enough of this for me, kind actually care about what the wings do today/tomorrow so I'll be responding to real red wing posts. That was fun tho, go marlies!

#55 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

6'3" 192lbs.

This isn't the 70's. Every goalie seems to be 6'3 now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#56 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Both of you need to stop your little bitching-fest. Frankly, its getting quite annoying. This isn't a battle of the cities thread, but a thread about the Monster signing in Detroit. Com'on people!

This isn't the 70's. Every goalie seems to be 6'3 now.

Well I agree with you; that is the reason for his nickname.

Posted Image

#57 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

I live in Toronto, the most bipolar and ungrateful fans I've ever come across are on Red Wings' forums.
He was worse than the defence in Toronto

I live in Toronto too, the most bipolar and ungrateful fans I've ever come across are Toronto Maple Leaf fans.
Gustavsson was better than the defense in Toronto.

Reimer and Scrivens will be the ones to blame this year. Everyone in Toronto knows that Alaire is the worst goaltending coach in the league, he doesn't let you adapt to your style instead he wants you to play his way.

#58 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thank you for that lovely story of you not buying anything NHL and that you get red wing merchandise occasionally for free. Not sure what that has to do with the signing of monster or you trying to defend the city of Toronto which were the topics we were discussing but hey, what can I tell ya. Either way, I hate your city, love the the minimal risk signing for the wings and any wing fan who isn't afraid to pony up $20 for a wing hat or t-shirt would probably say the same about the acquisition of monster. That's enough of this for me, kind actually care about what the wings do today/tomorrow so I'll be responding to real red wing posts. That was fun tho, go marlies!

I'm a Griffs fan

#59 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#60 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

I live in Toronto too, the most bipolar and ungrateful fans I've ever come across are Toronto Maple Leaf fans.
Gustavsson was better than the defense in Toronto.

Reimer and Scrivens will be the ones to blame this year. Everyone in Toronto knows that Alaire is the worst goaltending coach in the league, he doesn't let you adapt to your style instead he wants you to play his way.

Agreed - he shouldn't be playing a strictly butterfly like he was forced to do in Toronto - more of a hybrid like Osgood and Brodeur.

Really like this signing.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."