• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Interesting. Hopefully he can turn things around here.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#62 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well, I am one of those that thought Joey Mac was a great backup and surprised that we didn't sign him and instead picked up the Monster. I don't think we need to push Jimmy, before his injury, he was the goalie with the most wins for a long stretch of the season. Hell, wasn't he an alternate in the All-Stars? That's why I thought JMac would be a solid backup. Some goalies don't need to always worry about losing the net after one or two bad outings, that actually shakes their confidence. I hope this doesn't send the wrong message to Jimmy management don't trust him or something. And $1.5 mill/yr, I think we could have done with league minimum to give Gus a shot at proving himself.

#63 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I think it has more to do with the fact that having two fairly young goalies is better than having one and a vet. Our cupboard is pretty bare prospects wise. I'm not sure how old Gustavsson is, I'm guessing 24ish? I think it's more to add depth than send a message to Howard. This is the Wings preparing for the future.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#64 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

I cleaned up the thread. If you don't want your posts deleted, let's keep it about the signing and not bickering with each other. Enough city and fanbase bashing.

#65 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Oh wow! Wasn't expecting this.

I like it! :thumbup: Welcome to Detroit, Monster! (I like the nickname :lol:)

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#66 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Good move, signing a more than capable backup, with potential to be something more.

#67 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Not really what I expected for our first signing of Free Agency but looks like a pretty good deal. Can't wait to see this guy in action!!

#68 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

I think it has more to do with the fact that having two fairly young goalies is better than having one and a vet. Our cupboard is pretty bare prospects wise. I'm not sure how old Gustavsson is, I'm guessing 24ish? I think it's more to add depth than send a message to Howard. This is the Wings preparing for the future.

He's 27.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#69 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I like this signing. can't wait for him to get a start in Winter Classic and stone wall Maple Laughs.

#70 DangleDangleBeach

DangleDangleBeach

BIG PAV DANGLE HARD

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

i like it. hes not all that old for a goalie and with a more sound defensive team hopefully he can tighten things up himself. hopefully can keep howie sharp as well... good job KH! 1 hole filled, couple more left

Edited by DangleDangleBeach, 01 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#71 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hate it. Gustavsson's sucked since he came over. Couldn't hold a job for the Leafs. Joey MacDonald was amazing last year when needed. Nothing short of amazing. what happened to earning your spot?

Do any goalies do good in Toronto? I sincerely don't know. It seems Giguere didn't bode to well there, either.

#72 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Joey Mac has a bad back guys. Thats why we had to get a back up. Maybe he could pull a Mike Smith. I think he will be a good back up.

#73 mtuhockey7

mtuhockey7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Do any goalies do good in Toronto? I sincerely don't know. It seems Giguere didn't bode to well there, either.

No, because their goalie coach is very closed-minded. He makes the goalies conform to his style rather than let them play their natural style and then tweak it like Bedard does for the Wings goalies.

#74 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

No, because their goalie coach is very closed-minded. He makes the goalies conform to his style rather than let them play their natural style and then tweak it like Bedard does for the Wings goalies.

Reimer was great in 2010-11

#75 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Love this one knew and wanted him since day 1 in NHL.. Great looking tandem man what an upgrade to Mac and Conklin.

#76 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

I think we will play 30+ games at least. He is a good fit for us.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#77 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

If he can rebound this season, it'll be nice to be able to give Howard some rest once in awhile. He's more than capable of the workload he's been getting the past couple years but I'd rather see him more well-rested for the playoffs.

Posted Image

#78 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Feel better with our goalie situation. So far the best signing for the Wings.

#79 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#80 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Lose the nickname.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.