• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Red Wings Sign Mikael Samuelsson to 2-yr, $6m deal (w/full NTC)

Rate this topic

Part of me thinks that in Nyquist/Brunner/Tatar we already have guys that could very well be able to replace Hudler for less money than Sammy.

But I'm not criticize this signing until we see how things play out. Adding Sammy does give us even more scoring depth, which could be needed if there is a trade in the works that would for example move Franzen out.

Sammy definitely has his uses. He's getting up there in age so it's a question mark on that level. Can he stay healthy? I always liked Sammy when he was here, but he's older now. Hopefully he'll be motivated to prove himself to the Detroit fans again.

Part of me thinks that in Nyquist/Brunner/Tatar we already have guys that could very well be able to replace Hudler for less money than Sammy.

But I'm not criticize this signing until we see how things play out. Adding Sammy does give us even more scoring depth, which could be needed if there is a trade in the works that would for example move Franzen out.

Sammy definitely has his uses. He's getting up there in age so it's a question mark on that level. Can he stay healthy? I always liked Sammy when he was here, but he's older now. Hopefully he'll be motivated to prove himself to the Detroit fans again.

It will be a few years before Nyquist and Tatar can score 25 goals a season. Meanwhile we know that Sammy will score at least 20 right off the bat.

It will be a few years before Nyquist and Tatar can score 25 goals a season. Meanwhile we know that Sammy will score at least 20 right off the bat.

Well neither of those things are for sure. Give Nyquist/Tatar a full season playing in the top 6 and who knows what they'd produce. They'll never score 20+ goals if they never get a real chance. Nyquist spent way too much time on the 3rd and 4th lines last year. Tatar has looked quite good in GR and was excellent for Slovakia in the latest WHC.

Sammy is of course way more proven, but with his age also comes the question marks of whether he can keep producing like he has, and if he can stay healthy for most of the season.

Like I said, I've always liked Sammy. I was one of the (few) fans that was very sad to see him go a couple of years ago. I hope he does well and justifies the decision to bring him back instead of maybe giving some of the kids a bigger role.

I'm puzzled by this signing. However, if he serves as Hudler's replacement, I don't mind this. The NTC is bullschit, though.

Ken has to be working on acquiring a big name. There are just too many players on our roster right now, and with it looking less likely that we'll get Parise, it is basically necessary that we make a big trade. Preferably, I'd like to see us get Bobby Ryan. We've got some decent assets in Filppula and Kindl. No way Ryan can come back next year with everything that has gone on lately.

LGW has naturally gone into irrational panic mode, but I think Ken has something up his sleeve.

In comparison, David Moss signed for $2.1 million and can score just as many goals and has size and uses it (American born player).

Why Sammy over Moss?

Moss has never accrued the same point totals or goal totals that Sammy has. 2 out of 6 seasons, he has amassed 17 and 20 goals, but never more than 39 points (and that was only one season - his one nearly full season (81 games)).

David Moss: 317 NHL Games / 61 Goals / 63 assists / 124 Points / -7

Samuelssos: 669 NHL Games / 148 Goals / 194 Assists / 342 Points / +57

I would say the salary disparity is warranted... You're talking about 900k more for a guy who shoots far more, has a better +/-, and is familiar with the system he is coming into.

Well neither of those things are for sure. Give Nyquist/Tatar a full season playing in the top 6 and who knows what they'd produce. They'll never score 20+ goals if they never get a real chance. Nyquist spent way too much time on the 3rd and 4th lines last year. Tatar has looked quite good in GR and was excellent for Slovakia in the latest WHC.

Sammy is of course way more proven, but with his age also comes the question marks of whether he can keep producing like he has, and if he can stay healthy for most of the season.

Like I said, I've always liked Sammy. I was one of the (few) fans that was very sad to see him go a couple of years ago. I hope he does well and justifies the decision to bring him back instead of maybe giving some of the kids a bigger role.

Depth.... I relish in the memories of the day we could roll 3 lines that could put up points.... those days are hopefully returning (to an extent). This is what I would love to see:

Parise - Datsyuk - Brunner / Nyquist (Competing)

Franzen - Zetterberg - Samuelsson

Cleary - Filppula - Bertuzzi

Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo (I'd personally like to see us either let Abdelkader walk or trade him and give Eaves that spot). I don't want to see Eaves get the shaft just because he had one year injured, he adds scoring depth and can put up 15 even on the bottom two lines.

Eaves/Miller

Suter - Kronwall

Quincey - White

Ericsson - Smith

Kindl

Howard

Gustavsson

Even if Sammy isn't going to be as good as he was when he was here, I'm sure he will be able to bring us something we haven't had for the past couple years: Clutch goal scoring in the playoffs.

Exactly... we added a guy who is up there in age, sure, but also a guy who has a shoot first mentality and that is something that we desperately need. He adds scoring depth, he's adaptable from 2nd line to 4th line.... I feel a trade coming on.

No one is thinking this, but what if we sign Parise and Suter, then trade Franzen or whatever for a d-man like Yandle... that'd blow peoples' minds. Just a thought.

This one was hard to stomach at first, but after sleeping on it I think it was a safe move on Holland's part.

Given how aggressive this free agency shaped up to be, not to mention the limited amount of goods to acquire this year, striking fast is turning out to be essential. With Hudler pursuing better offers elsewhere, and other teams making claims right out of the gate, Holland's hands were tied. I would have rather acquired Doan or some other higher profile player, but these guys are going to wait out the storm to increase their value, and when the time comes that these higher free agents sign, there won't be any decent options left to pick up. Signing Sammy today was a safe move in that regard, and made safer because he is familiar with our system and we know he does well here.

It's also more comforting when looking at it as a replacement for Hudler. Sammy isn't one-dimensional, and is just fine mucking it up in the corners and in front of the net. I doubt he'll out up Hudler's 50 points, but I'm confident he'll be more valuable to the Wings in the playoffs where it's somewhat important to play in rough areas.

The terms of the contract I can only sum up to Holland making sure he got his man. Perhaps we were in a bidding war? In any event, we have the cap space. An extra 1M likely won't break our offseason, especially pending any trades that may occur still.

Please keep telling me a trade has to be in the works, fellow LGWers. It makes me feel much better.

(Not being sarcastic.)

The Wings have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Franzen, Brunner, Nyquist, Samuelsson, Cleary, Bertuzzi, Helm, Abdelkader, Tootoo, Eaves, and Miller signed and reports say they're going hard after Parise and are making an offer for Nash. That would make 15 forwards, 7-9 of which can slot into the top 6. That means they have 2 extra forwards beyond the 13 that could be dealt for parts.

The Wings defense, on the other hand, could use a top-4 presence. Assuming Suter or Carle signs, another top-4 defenseman would make sense. Keith Yandle was reportedly in play. If you can unload Franzen or Filppula for an upgrade on the back end while signing Parise, it makes perfect sense.

I really doubt a GM can be thinking that far ahead though, save for some unique circumstances. The landscape can change drastically in just moments.

I hated Sammy as much as the next guy, but I'm actually ok with this now...he's definitely an upgrade over Hudler (who I hate more), and for less than was offerered to Hudler. At least we know he'll shoot the damn puck!

I'm sure that Brunner was supposed to replace Hudler...

This is one of the reason why young players liek Schultz will never sign for Red Wings. Instead of giving a chance to Nyquist and Brunner on the top 2 lines... Kenny is going after 35yo Sammy... Sucked 3 years ago... will suck for the next 2 years...

Wasn't signing Sammy the joke around here for awhile. Instead of getting the top line guy we need Holland would bring back Sammy as the big signing.

What type of minutes did he play when he was moved to Florida? If he got top line minutes to hit 13G with the Panthers I don't think he will hit that mark with us next year.

Top line minutes, played 54 games...

Full NTC... who would want you Sammy???? :)

id rather have taken a chance and just signed semin to 2 yrs 10 million ( if that were possible)

next thing you know lilja will be back .... theres a problem with always getting back players that were here , they age and retire and when that happens you become the calgary flames because you have no one left on your team thats good and youngish

id rather have taken a chance and just signed semin to 2 yrs 10 million ( if that were possible)

next thing you know lilja will be back .... theres a problem with always getting back players that were here , they age and retire and when that happens you become the calgary flames because you have no one left on your team thats good and youngish

Lilja WILL be back for sure...

I apologize for yet another capgeek fantasy roster....but....I don't think this team would have trouble scoring. 4th line would be scary to play against lol

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Damien Brunner ($0.925m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.700m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)

Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.800m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,803,750; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,396,250

Yes, he was highly sought after......and yes there's extremely high potential. However, there's no guarantee he will be able to fit in with NHL. Without seeing him step foot into this league, he's a big question mark.

Come on now. I think it was actually a good signing and he could probably fit in well with his Swedish teammates. That being said, he is remarkably inconsistent with a pretty bad GAA. Still, a solid signing.

Heart and soul guy? The same guy with major alcohol and domestic problems? The same guy who was scratched through most of the 2012 playoffs? There is absolutely no place for this loser. And to the idiots spewing, "BUT, BUT, HE ADDS SIZE, GRIT, AND TOUGHNESS!".....no. The guy is 5'9, built small, and adds zero strength to our lineup. Big difference between grit and rat.

He'll put up 20+ goals, eh? Is that a promise? 36, coming off injury after injury, passed up by TWO teams and......he gets a raise (he was on 2.5m before)? Where's the logic in that? And to the guys pointing to his stats in Vancouver, look a bit deeper. He was playing most of the time on a line with the Sedins or Kesler......OFCOURSE he's gonna wrack up points. I feel this signing is on par with when we brought Williams back and will likely have just as bad a result...maybe even worse considering the NTC.

Just my two cents ;)

Heres two links for you to help you through these oh so difficult times. I can tell you're taking things very rough right now with the Wings already signing 4 players on the first day and already improving the team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mackinac_Bridge.jpg

Why must we be so old every friggin' season? :unhappy:

Yes we are so old... that's right. We just retired a 39 year old and a 42 year old, but we're old as s***!

People just keep talking without realizing they are spewing garbage.

The Wings average age with all current roster players as of June 2nd, 2012 is 28.35 years.

Compare that to Pittsburgh... they come in at an average age of 29.32, even with their young stars.

If I missed anyone, it shouldn't have that huge of an effect on the calculations:

Detroit: Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Brunner, Cleary, Datsyuk, Eaves, Emmerton, Ericsson, Filppula, Franzen, Gustavsson, Helm, Howard, Kindl, Kronwall, Miller, Nyquist, Quincey, Samuelsson, Smith, Tootoo, White, Zetterberg.

Pitt: Adams, Cooke, Crosby, Dupuis, Engelland, Fleury, Jeffrey, Johnson, Kennedy, Kunitz, Letang, Lovejoy, Malkin, Martin, Neal, Niskanen, Orpik, Park, Sullivan, Sutter, Vitale, Vokoun.

Yes we are so old... that's right. We just retired a 39 year old and a 42 year old, but we're old as s***!

People just keep talking without realizing they are spewing garbage.

The Wings average age with all current roster players as of June 2nd, 2012 is 28.35 years.

Compare that to Pittsburgh... they come in at an average age of 29.32, even with their young stars.

If I missed anyone, it shouldn't have that huge of an effect on the calculations:

Detroit: Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Brunner, Cleary, Datsyuk, Eaves, Emmerton, Ericsson, Filppula, Franzen, Gustavsson, Helm, Howard, Kindl, Kronwall, Miller, Nyquist, Quincey, Samuelsson, Smith, Tootoo, White, Zetterberg.

Pitt: Adams, Cooke, Crosby, Dupuis, Engelland, Fleury, Jeffrey, Johnson, Kennedy, Kunitz, Letang, Lovejoy, Malkin, Martin, Neal, Niskanen, Orpik, Park, Sullivan, Sutter, Vitale, Vokoun.

Don't forget Tatar. But then again....that'd lower our age even more...