• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Red Wings Sign Mikael Samuelsson to 2-yr, $6m deal (w/full NTC)

Rate this topic

I want to understand this signing but I can't help but think that there had to be someone else that would have been younger and on their way up not out. Ken Holland let us down with this signing. Not a shot at Sammy just really hate the contract. This is a I got nothing type of move.

Guest Crymson

Stuff

I see you completely ignored my post. That is telling. I'll ask the main question again: how does this signing, when the four premiere UFAs (and many more) are still unsigned, mean that Holland has failed to make a splash in this offseason and should be fired?

Wasn't signing Sammy the joke around here for awhile. Instead of getting the top line guy we need Holland would bring back Sammy as the big signing.

Again, it's July 2nd and the four premiere UFAs are all unsigned.

What type of minutes did he play when he was moved to Florida? If he got top line minutes to hit 13G with the Panthers I don't think he will hit that mark with us next year.

Samuelsson averaged 15:56 of TOI per game with the Panthers, good for seventh amongst forwards on that team. He most often played on a line with Sean Bergenheim and Marcel Goc.

Edited by Crymson

My first take on this thread...

I hate this signing. In the context of a Suter signing, or a less likely Parise signing or mega-trade, its terribleness might get lost, but the fact that we might make other good moves doesn't change what THIS move is.

I know that we needed a right hand PP shot. I know the Swedes on this team (two of whom are probably retired) liked him and vouched for his signing the first time. I know that he did a lot of good things in the Winged Wheel and even had some solid playoff moments in '08 and '09.

But the fact is that we let him go after '09 because he was in line to double his salary from a $1.2 mil cap hit to $2.5 mil. Vancouver gave that to him for 3 years. His numbers on VAN (a very offensive oriented, talent team) were great the first year, then leveled off in year 2. He had a pretty good pace going in Florida, but only played a half season. But the guy is now 35 years old and will make nearly THREE TIMES what he did his first time around as a Wing. Thankfully, it's only 2 years, but it comes with a no-trade clause.

I just don't understand this pattern of bringing in guys who were previously in the organization and then giving them a RAISE to hopefully reproduce what they did a few years ago (Bertuzzi, Quincey, Sammuelsson). Signings like this and Tootoo only lessen the chance of a young player like Helm or Abdelkader getting that playing time and becoming important contributors (and at a low cost).

My first take on this thread...

I hate this signing. In the context of a Suter signing, or a less likely Parise signing or mega-trade, its terribleness might get lost, but the fact that we might make other good moves doesn't change what THIS move is.

I know that we needed a right hand PP shot. I know the Swedes on this team (two of whom are probably retired) liked him and vouched for his signing the first time. I know that he did a lot of good things in the Winged Wheel and even had some solid playoff moments in '08 and '09.

But the fact is that we let him go after '09 because he was in line to double his salary from a $1.2 mil cap hit to $2.5 mil. Vancouver gave that to him for 3 years. His numbers on VAN (a very offensive oriented, talent team) were great the first year, then leveled off in year 2. He had a pretty good pace going in Florida, but only played a half season. But the guy is now 35 years old and will make nearly THREE TIMES what he did his first time around as a Wing. Thankfully, it's only 2 years, but it comes with a no-trade clause.

I just don't understand this pattern of bringing in guys who were previously in the organization and then giving them a RAISE to hopefully reproduce what they did a few years ago (Bertuzzi, Quincey, Sammuelsson). Signings like this and Tootoo only lessen the chance of a young player like Helm or Abdelkader getting that playing time and becoming important contributors (and at a low cost).

Your last sentence is wrong... Sammy will more than likely step into a 2nd line role, perhaps 3rd line... he's a winger, which has zero influence on two centers (Helm and Abdelkader). It's for 2 years, and remember that Cleary comes off the books after this season.

Whats so interesting to me in reading some of these posts is the fact that alot of people assume, just because we signed sammy it INSTANTLY takes us out of the Parise sweepstakes.

I see this signing as a replacement for Hudler more then anything else. A bigger 2nd line winger that can play the point on the PP and most importantly is a right handed shot. I love our signings so far now if we can just add Suter I think we have to tip our hats to Holland for a very succesful offseason.

Again people I DO think something is up Kenny's sleeve and I'll tell you why.

1. I find it telling that we didn't sign any D-Man yesterday this means I still think we'll get Suter

2. There HAS GOT to be a trade up his sleeve. He is just waiting until A. He has the parts in place, B. He signs Suter and.or C. Parise is already gone.

Wasn't signing Sammy the joke around here for awhile. Instead of getting the top line guy we need Holland would bring back Sammy as the big signing.

Right handed shot. 20 goal guy. Knows the system. Solid in his own end. Could have done worse. Welcome back Sammy

What type of minutes did he play when he was moved to Florida? If he got top line minutes to hit 13G with the Panthers I don't think he will hit that mark with us next year.

Edited by dragonballgtz

rather of given a 40 year old jagr a 2 yr 6 million dollar deal .... holland's lost his f'n mind , problem with this team is they stick to the same guys and bring back old players because they are "familiar" with them ... its a load of horse crap

You've got it! Why bring back the past? This is a new team and needs some new faces. I would have MUCH rather seen Jagr for 2 years then frickin Samuelsson.

Edited by The Secret

Your last sentence is wrong... Sammy will more than likely step into a 2nd line role, perhaps 3rd line... he's a winger, which has zero influence on two centers (Helm and Abdelkader). It's for 2 years, and remember that Cleary comes off the books after this season.

Cleary is better than Sammy imo and younger. I'd rather have neither next season and upgrade but thats not gonna happen

I'd rather have him signed on a 1year deal,otherwise can't complain too much

I'd rather have the signing be for one year also, and for a different player.

Other than that, I can't complain too much either.

Why must we be so old every friggin' season? :unhappy:

Holland.

This has to be a very VERY bad joke. There are a million other players I would have rather given a chance then to get this guy back. I'm annoyed already... I can see his retarded head fake that fools no-one. Sad sad day! Maybe it's time to trade Holland!!!!

Maybe he hopes defensemen will be distracted by how disproportionately ENORMOUS his face is. Way too big for his head!

Maybe he hopes defensemen will be distracted by how disproportionately ENORMOUS his face is. Way too big for his head!

My favorite Samuelsson play is when he skates into the zone, puts the puck on his backhand, and then doesn't know where to go with it and ends up turning it over or dumping it in aimlessly.

I don't mind having Sammy back. I think I was one of the few who was fine with him before. As long as he's used appropriately (meaning NOT the point on the powerplay). He gives good scoring depth on the third line and is ok defensively too. Also, he's able to fill in on the top two lines if there are injuries.

From what I recall, our third line during the cup win was Sammy-Fil-Hudler. Having a bit of production from the third line was crucial to our success and Sammy helps us with that extra bit of depth.

I do find the NTC weird though...

Edited by Zetts

What makes you so sure that Cleary will come off the books? Ken Holland will resign him because that is what he does.

What makes you so sure that Cleary will come off the books? Ken Holland will resign him because that is what he does.

Wrong. Ken Holland will send him off to a Canadian team and then resign him in a year or two for a tad more than he deserves.

You know, kind of like what we did with Sammy and are in the process of doing with Hudler.

Wrong. Ken Holland will send him off to a Canadian team and then resign him in a year or two for a tad more than he deserves.

You know, kind of like what we did with Sammy and are in the process of doing with Hudler.

And the reason will be because we won the Cup with him 5 years ago (I guess it'll be like 8 years then).

I don't mind having Sammy back. I think I was one of the few who was fine with him before. As long as he's used appropriately (meaning NOT the point on the powerplay). He gives good scoring depth on the third line and is ok defensively too. Also, he's able to fill in on the top two lines if there are injuries.

From what I recall, our third line during the cup win was Sammy-Fil-Hudler. Having a bit of production from the third line was crucial to our success and Sammy helps us with that extra bit of depth.

I do find the NTC weird though...

You know that's right where he's going, right? :P

The Wings lost Hudler and Lids. Even if they get Suter, who else is gonna be out there?

You know that's right where he's going, right? :P

The Wings lost Hudler and Lids. Even if they get Suter, who else is gonna be out there?

Well, we potentially have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Cleary, Filppula, Brunner (maybe) and Bertuzzi as forwards for the 2 PPs. Perhaps Nyquist if things are going well for him. And seemingly Samuelsson might be in that mix somewhere.

I know that this might be a bit unorthodox, but why couldn't Datsyuk be on a point? He could run the PP from the back end. He's got unbelievable vision, a good shot and would be great at holding the zone. Personally I'd much rather that than Sammy on the point. Also, Samuelsson could (IMO) do a decent job with his shot from more of a halfboards position.

So, we could rotate Kronwall, Suter, Datsyuk and one of Quincey/Ericsson/Smith/White on the points. Maybe it wouldn't work, but I'd like to try it. It would keep Samuelsson off the point at least. Of course, if we don't get Suter, we're really in trouble.

Edited by Zetts

Part of me likes this signing just to see people in here pissed off. :D

Like with all whipping boys, their faults are often harped on too much and the pros aren't emphasized as much, and it is amusing to me when fans act so shocked when these guys score a goal or something like its the first time they ever did it.

Because Samuelsson obtained this status in here by plenty I had a soft spot for him. If the game plan for him is to shoot shoot shoot a bunch like his last go-round here, then I'm all for it. He quietly produced for the team and should be good for hopefully 20 goals at least and 50-60 points.

Guest irishock

Samuelsson is a diamond in the rough.

2012- Panthers have best season in franchise history

2011- Made cup Finals

2010- 15 pts in 12 playoff games for Van

2009- Cup Finals

2008- Stanley Cup

2007- Conf. FInals

to the defense of "Sammy to PP" idea, consider two factors:

1. Sammy is absolute master of never ever firing a puck at the net but always past it. even I myself, being absolutely awful shooter, do hit the candy once in a while. not Sammy.

if there were awards for the biggest amount of shots past the goal in an NHL season he'd have as much hardware as Nick or Bobby Orr. give him 4 more years in Winged Wheel and I'd add "together" to this sentence ;)

2. Joe is known for being a place to produce "strange" rebounds which gives the long time home players some significant advantage. especially on PP when those rebound give a fair chance to score some dirty goal...

I mean... it is a big conspiracy theory, notwithstanding, but there is a chance to me that there might actually be much logic in what Sammy does. it is utterly frustrating to watch him fire shots when you're sure it never ever ends up in the net... but at the end of the day you look at the stat sheet and the guy is there. with nice numbers. somehow.

putting him on PP might actually be better idea than some people think. give him a C and LW who can crash the net and our PP might actually become decent...

Edited by akustyk