Photo
- - - - -

Red Wings Sign Mikael Samuelsson to 2-yr, $6m deal (w/full NTC)

mikael samuelsson free agency

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#181 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Well neither of those things are for sure. Give Nyquist/Tatar a full season playing in the top 6 and who knows what they'd produce. They'll never score 20+ goals if they never get a real chance. Nyquist spent way too much time on the 3rd and 4th lines last year. Tatar has looked quite good in GR and was excellent for Slovakia in the latest WHC.

Sammy is of course way more proven, but with his age also comes the question marks of whether he can keep producing like he has, and if he can stay healthy for most of the season.

Like I said, I've always liked Sammy. I was one of the (few) fans that was very sad to see him go a couple of years ago. I hope he does well and justifies the decision to bring him back instead of maybe giving some of the kids a bigger role.

Depth.... I relish in the memories of the day we could roll 3 lines that could put up points.... those days are hopefully returning (to an extent). This is what I would love to see:

Parise - Datsyuk - Brunner / Nyquist (Competing)
Franzen - Zetterberg - Samuelsson
Cleary - Filppula - Bertuzzi
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo (I'd personally like to see us either let Abdelkader walk or trade him and give Eaves that spot). I don't want to see Eaves get the shaft just because he had one year injured, he adds scoring depth and can put up 15 even on the bottom two lines.
Eaves/Miller

Suter - Kronwall
Quincey - White
Ericsson - Smith
Kindl

Howard
Gustavsson

#182 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Even if Sammy isn't going to be as good as he was when he was here, I'm sure he will be able to bring us something we haven't had for the past couple years: Clutch goal scoring in the playoffs.

Posted Image

#183 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Even if Sammy isn't going to be as good as he was when he was here, I'm sure he will be able to bring us something we haven't had for the past couple years: Clutch goal scoring in the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sor3Faq7DMQ

Exactly... we added a guy who is up there in age, sure, but also a guy who has a shoot first mentality and that is something that we desperately need. He adds scoring depth, he's adaptable from 2nd line to 4th line.... I feel a trade coming on.

No one is thinking this, but what if we sign Parise and Suter, then trade Franzen or whatever for a d-man like Yandle... that'd blow peoples' minds. Just a thought.

#184 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Again people I DO think something is up Kenny's sleeve and I'll tell you why.
1. I find it telling that we didn't sign any D-Man yesterday this means I still think we'll get Suter
2. There HAS GOT to be a trade up his sleeve. He is just waiting until A. He has the parts in place, B. He signs Suter and.or C. Parise is already gone.

#185 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Please keep telling me a trade has to be in the works, fellow LGWers. It makes me feel much better.

(Not being sarcastic.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#186 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

This one was hard to stomach at first, but after sleeping on it I think it was a safe move on Holland's part.

Given how aggressive this free agency shaped up to be, not to mention the limited amount of goods to acquire this year, striking fast is turning out to be essential. With Hudler pursuing better offers elsewhere, and other teams making claims right out of the gate, Holland's hands were tied. I would have rather acquired Doan or some other higher profile player, but these guys are going to wait out the storm to increase their value, and when the time comes that these higher free agents sign, there won't be any decent options left to pick up. Signing Sammy today was a safe move in that regard, and made safer because he is familiar with our system and we know he does well here.

It's also more comforting when looking at it as a replacement for Hudler. Sammy isn't one-dimensional, and is just fine mucking it up in the corners and in front of the net. I doubt he'll out up Hudler's 50 points, but I'm confident he'll be more valuable to the Wings in the playoffs where it's somewhat important to play in rough areas.

The terms of the contract I can only sum up to Holland making sure he got his man. Perhaps we were in a bidding war? In any event, we have the cap space. An extra 1M likely won't break our offseason, especially pending any trades that may occur still.

#187 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Please keep telling me a trade has to be in the works, fellow LGWers. It makes me feel much better.

(Not being sarcastic.)

The Wings have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Franzen, Brunner, Nyquist, Samuelsson, Cleary, Bertuzzi, Helm, Abdelkader, Tootoo, Eaves, and Miller signed and reports say they're going hard after Parise and are making an offer for Nash. That would make 15 forwards, 7-9 of which can slot into the top 6. That means they have 2 extra forwards beyond the 13 that could be dealt for parts.

The Wings defense, on the other hand, could use a top-4 presence. Assuming Suter or Carle signs, another top-4 defenseman would make sense. Keith Yandle was reportedly in play. If you can unload Franzen or Filppula for an upgrade on the back end while signing Parise, it makes perfect sense.

I really doubt a GM can be thinking that far ahead though, save for some unique circumstances. The landscape can change drastically in just moments.

#188 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

I hated Sammy as much as the next guy, but I'm actually ok with this now...he's definitely an upgrade over Hudler (who I hate more), and for less than was offerered to Hudler. At least we know he'll shoot the damn puck!

#189 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Right handed shot. 20 goal guy. Knows the system. Solid in his own end. Could have done worse. Welcome back Sammy

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#190 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Next will be Lilja...

Too bad Kenny :blind: missed Whitney...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#191 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

still pissed and puzzled at this signing im dreading those shots missing the net from the point on the powerplay from samuelsson

and a full no trade .... makes no sense

#192 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Wasn't signing Sammy the joke around here for awhile. Instead of getting the top line guy we need Holland would bring back Sammy as the big signing.

Right handed shot. 20 goal guy. Knows the system. Solid in his own end. Could have done worse. Welcome back Sammy

What type of minutes did he play when he was moved to Florida? If he got top line minutes to hit 13G with the Panthers I don't think he will hit that mark with us next year.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 02 July 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#193 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I hated Sammy as much as the next guy, but I'm actually ok with this now...he's definitely an upgrade over Hudler (who I hate more), and for less than was offerered to Hudler. At least we know he'll shoot the damn puck!

I'm sure that Brunner was supposed to replace Hudler...
This is one of the reason why young players liek Schultz will never sign for Red Wings. Instead of giving a chance to Nyquist and Brunner on the top 2 lines... Kenny is going after 35yo Sammy... Sucked 3 years ago... will suck for the next 2 years...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#194 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Jesus, Sammy is 35!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#195 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Wasn't signing Sammy the joke around here for awhile. Instead of getting the top line guy we need Holland would bring back Sammy as the big signing.

What type of minutes did he play when he was moved to Florida? If he got top line minutes to hit 13G with the Panthers I don't think he will hit that mark with us next year.

Top line minutes, played 54 games...

Full NTC... who would want you Sammy???? :)

#196 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

id rather have taken a chance and just signed semin to 2 yrs 10 million ( if that were possible)

next thing you know lilja will be back .... theres a problem with always getting back players that were here , they age and retire and when that happens you become the calgary flames because you have no one left on your team thats good and youngish

#197 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Why must we be so old every friggin' season? :unhappy:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#198 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

id rather have taken a chance and just signed semin to 2 yrs 10 million ( if that were possible)

next thing you know lilja will be back .... theres a problem with always getting back players that were here , they age and retire and when that happens you become the calgary flames because you have no one left on your team thats good and youngish

Lilja WILL be back for sure...

#199 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I apologize for yet another capgeek fantasy roster....but....I don't think this team would have trouble scoring. 4th line would be scary to play against lol

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($0.925m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.700m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($7.800m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,803,750; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,396,250

#200 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

rather of given a 40 year old jagr a 2 yr 6 million dollar deal .... holland's lost his f'n mind , problem with this team is they stick to the same guys and bring back old players because they are "familiar" with them ... its a load of horse crap

You've got it! Why bring back the past? This is a new team and needs some new faces. I would have MUCH rather seen Jagr for 2 years then frickin Samuelsson.

Edited by The Secret, 02 July 2012 - 03:20 PM.