Photo
- - - - -

Red Wings Sign Mikael Samuelsson to 2-yr, $6m deal (w/full NTC)

mikael samuelsson free agency

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#201 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Yes, he was highly sought after......and yes there's extremely high potential. However, there's no guarantee he will be able to fit in with NHL. Without seeing him step foot into this league, he's a big question mark.

Come on now. I think it was actually a good signing and he could probably fit in well with his Swedish teammates. That being said, he is remarkably inconsistent with a pretty bad GAA. Still, a solid signing.

Heart and soul guy? The same guy with major alcohol and domestic problems? The same guy who was scratched through most of the 2012 playoffs? There is absolutely no place for this loser. And to the idiots spewing, "BUT, BUT, HE ADDS SIZE, GRIT, AND TOUGHNESS!".....no. The guy is 5'9, built small, and adds zero strength to our lineup. Big difference between grit and rat.

He'll put up 20+ goals, eh? Is that a promise? 36, coming off injury after injury, passed up by TWO teams and......he gets a raise (he was on 2.5m before)? Where's the logic in that? And to the guys pointing to his stats in Vancouver, look a bit deeper. He was playing most of the time on a line with the Sedins or Kesler......OFCOURSE he's gonna wrack up points. I feel this signing is on par with when we brought Williams back and will likely have just as bad a result...maybe even worse considering the NTC.

Just my two cents ;)

Heres two links for you to help you through these oh so difficult times. I can tell you're taking things very rough right now with the Wings already signing 4 players on the first day and already improving the team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

http://en.wikipedia....inac_Bridge.jpg

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#202 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

Why must we be so old every friggin' season? :unhappy:

Yes we are so old... that's right. We just retired a 39 year old and a 42 year old, but we're old as s***!

People just keep talking without realizing they are spewing garbage.

The Wings average age with all current roster players as of June 2nd, 2012 is 28.35 years.

Compare that to Pittsburgh... they come in at an average age of 29.32, even with their young stars.

If I missed anyone, it shouldn't have that huge of an effect on the calculations:

Detroit: Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Brunner, Cleary, Datsyuk, Eaves, Emmerton, Ericsson, Filppula, Franzen, Gustavsson, Helm, Howard, Kindl, Kronwall, Miller, Nyquist, Quincey, Samuelsson, Smith, Tootoo, White, Zetterberg.

Pitt: Adams, Cooke, Crosby, Dupuis, Engelland, Fleury, Jeffrey, Johnson, Kennedy, Kunitz, Letang, Lovejoy, Malkin, Martin, Neal, Niskanen, Orpik, Park, Sullivan, Sutter, Vitale, Vokoun.

#203 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Yes we are so old... that's right. We just retired a 39 year old and a 42 year old, but we're old as s***!

People just keep talking without realizing they are spewing garbage.

The Wings average age with all current roster players as of June 2nd, 2012 is 28.35 years.

Compare that to Pittsburgh... they come in at an average age of 29.32, even with their young stars.

If I missed anyone, it shouldn't have that huge of an effect on the calculations:

Detroit: Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Brunner, Cleary, Datsyuk, Eaves, Emmerton, Ericsson, Filppula, Franzen, Gustavsson, Helm, Howard, Kindl, Kronwall, Miller, Nyquist, Quincey, Samuelsson, Smith, Tootoo, White, Zetterberg.

Pitt: Adams, Cooke, Crosby, Dupuis, Engelland, Fleury, Jeffrey, Johnson, Kennedy, Kunitz, Letang, Lovejoy, Malkin, Martin, Neal, Niskanen, Orpik, Park, Sullivan, Sutter, Vitale, Vokoun.

Don't forget Tatar. But then again....that'd lower our age even more...
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#204 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I want to understand this signing but I can't help but think that there had to be someone else that would have been younger and on their way up not out. Ken Holland let us down with this signing. Not a shot at Sammy just really hate the contract. This is a I got nothing type of move.

#205 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

The keyboard GMs in this thread are hilarious

#206 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Stuff

I see you completely ignored my post. That is telling. I'll ask the main question again: how does this signing, when the four premiere UFAs (and many more) are still unsigned, mean that Holland has failed to make a splash in this offseason and should be fired?

Wasn't signing Sammy the joke around here for awhile. Instead of getting the top line guy we need Holland would bring back Sammy as the big signing.

Again, it's July 2nd and the four premiere UFAs are all unsigned.

What type of minutes did he play when he was moved to Florida? If he got top line minutes to hit 13G with the Panthers I don't think he will hit that mark with us next year.

Samuelsson averaged 15:56 of TOI per game with the Panthers, good for seventh amongst forwards on that team. He most often played on a line with Sean Bergenheim and Marcel Goc.

Edited by Crymson, 02 July 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#207 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

A full NTC? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#208 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

My first take on this thread...

I hate this signing. In the context of a Suter signing, or a less likely Parise signing or mega-trade, its terribleness might get lost, but the fact that we might make other good moves doesn't change what THIS move is.

I know that we needed a right hand PP shot. I know the Swedes on this team (two of whom are probably retired) liked him and vouched for his signing the first time. I know that he did a lot of good things in the Winged Wheel and even had some solid playoff moments in '08 and '09.

But the fact is that we let him go after '09 because he was in line to double his salary from a $1.2 mil cap hit to $2.5 mil. Vancouver gave that to him for 3 years. His numbers on VAN (a very offensive oriented, talent team) were great the first year, then leveled off in year 2. He had a pretty good pace going in Florida, but only played a half season. But the guy is now 35 years old and will make nearly THREE TIMES what he did his first time around as a Wing. Thankfully, it's only 2 years, but it comes with a no-trade clause.

I just don't understand this pattern of bringing in guys who were previously in the organization and then giving them a RAISE to hopefully reproduce what they did a few years ago (Bertuzzi, Quincey, Sammuelsson). Signings like this and Tootoo only lessen the chance of a young player like Helm or Abdelkader getting that playing time and becoming important contributors (and at a low cost).

#209 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

My first take on this thread...

I hate this signing. In the context of a Suter signing, or a less likely Parise signing or mega-trade, its terribleness might get lost, but the fact that we might make other good moves doesn't change what THIS move is.

I know that we needed a right hand PP shot. I know the Swedes on this team (two of whom are probably retired) liked him and vouched for his signing the first time. I know that he did a lot of good things in the Winged Wheel and even had some solid playoff moments in '08 and '09.

But the fact is that we let him go after '09 because he was in line to double his salary from a $1.2 mil cap hit to $2.5 mil. Vancouver gave that to him for 3 years. His numbers on VAN (a very offensive oriented, talent team) were great the first year, then leveled off in year 2. He had a pretty good pace going in Florida, but only played a half season. But the guy is now 35 years old and will make nearly THREE TIMES what he did his first time around as a Wing. Thankfully, it's only 2 years, but it comes with a no-trade clause.

I just don't understand this pattern of bringing in guys who were previously in the organization and then giving them a RAISE to hopefully reproduce what they did a few years ago (Bertuzzi, Quincey, Sammuelsson). Signings like this and Tootoo only lessen the chance of a young player like Helm or Abdelkader getting that playing time and becoming important contributors (and at a low cost).

Your last sentence is wrong... Sammy will more than likely step into a 2nd line role, perhaps 3rd line... he's a winger, which has zero influence on two centers (Helm and Abdelkader). It's for 2 years, and remember that Cleary comes off the books after this season.

#210 Wingnut in WA

Wingnut in WA

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Whats so interesting to me in reading some of these posts is the fact that alot of people assume, just because we signed sammy it INSTANTLY takes us out of the Parise sweepstakes.

I see this signing as a replacement for Hudler more then anything else. A bigger 2nd line winger that can play the point on the PP and most importantly is a right handed shot. I love our signings so far now if we can just add Suter I think we have to tip our hats to Holland for a very succesful offseason.

#211 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'd rather have him signed on a 1year deal,otherwise can't complain too much

#212 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Your last sentence is wrong... Sammy will more than likely step into a 2nd line role, perhaps 3rd line... he's a winger, which has zero influence on two centers (Helm and Abdelkader). It's for 2 years, and remember that Cleary comes off the books after this season.

Cleary is better than Sammy imo and younger. I'd rather have neither next season and upgrade but thats not gonna happen

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#213 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Would have rather had mueller at a lower cap hit.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#214 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'd rather have him signed on a 1year deal,otherwise can't complain too much

I'd rather have the signing be for one year also, and for a different player.

Other than that, I can't complain too much either.

Why must we be so old every friggin' season? :unhappy:

Holland.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#215 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

This has to be a very VERY bad joke. There are a million other players I would have rather given a chance then to get this guy back. I'm annoyed already... I can see his retarded head fake that fools no-one. Sad sad day! Maybe it's time to trade Holland!!!!

Maybe he hopes defensemen will be distracted by how disproportionately ENORMOUS his face is. Way too big for his head!

#216 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Maybe he hopes defensemen will be distracted by how disproportionately ENORMOUS his face is. Way too big for his head!

My favorite Samuelsson play is when he skates into the zone, puts the puck on his backhand, and then doesn't know where to go with it and ends up turning it over or dumping it in aimlessly.

#217 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

I don't mind having Sammy back. I think I was one of the few who was fine with him before. As long as he's used appropriately (meaning NOT the point on the powerplay). He gives good scoring depth on the third line and is ok defensively too. Also, he's able to fill in on the top two lines if there are injuries.

From what I recall, our third line during the cup win was Sammy-Fil-Hudler. Having a bit of production from the third line was crucial to our success and Sammy helps us with that extra bit of depth.

I do find the NTC weird though...

Edited by Zetts, 02 July 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#218 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

What makes you so sure that Cleary will come off the books? Ken Holland will resign him because that is what he does.

#219 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

What makes you so sure that Cleary will come off the books? Ken Holland will resign him because that is what he does.

Wrong. Ken Holland will send him off to a Canadian team and then resign him in a year or two for a tad more than he deserves.

You know, kind of like what we did with Sammy and are in the process of doing with Hudler.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#220 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Wrong. Ken Holland will send him off to a Canadian team and then resign him in a year or two for a tad more than he deserves.

You know, kind of like what we did with Sammy and are in the process of doing with Hudler.

And the reason will be because we won the Cup with him 5 years ago (I guess it'll be like 8 years then).