Photo
- - - - -

Red Wings Sign Mikael Samuelsson to 2-yr, $6m deal (w/full NTC)

mikael samuelsson free agency

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#221 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I don't mind having Sammy back. I think I was one of the few who was fine with him before. As long as he's used appropriately (meaning NOT the point on the powerplay). He gives good scoring depth on the third line and is ok defensively too. Also, he's able to fill in on the top two lines if there are injuries.

From what I recall, our third line during the cup win was Sammy-Fil-Hudler. Having a bit of production from the third line was crucial to our success and Sammy helps us with that extra bit of depth.

I do find the NTC weird though...

You know that's right where he's going, right? :P

The Wings lost Hudler and Lids. Even if they get Suter, who else is gonna be out there?

#222 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

You know that's right where he's going, right? :P

The Wings lost Hudler and Lids. Even if they get Suter, who else is gonna be out there?

Well, we potentially have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Cleary, Filppula, Brunner (maybe) and Bertuzzi as forwards for the 2 PPs. Perhaps Nyquist if things are going well for him. And seemingly Samuelsson might be in that mix somewhere.

I know that this might be a bit unorthodox, but why couldn't Datsyuk be on a point? He could run the PP from the back end. He's got unbelievable vision, a good shot and would be great at holding the zone. Personally I'd much rather that than Sammy on the point. Also, Samuelsson could (IMO) do a decent job with his shot from more of a halfboards position.

So, we could rotate Kronwall, Suter, Datsyuk and one of Quincey/Ericsson/Smith/White on the points. Maybe it wouldn't work, but I'd like to try it. It would keep Samuelsson off the point at least. Of course, if we don't get Suter, we're really in trouble.

Edited by Zetts, 02 July 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#223 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Part of me likes this signing just to see people in here pissed off. :D

Like with all whipping boys, their faults are often harped on too much and the pros aren't emphasized as much, and it is amusing to me when fans act so shocked when these guys score a goal or something like its the first time they ever did it.

Because Samuelsson obtained this status in here by plenty I had a soft spot for him. If the game plan for him is to shoot shoot shoot a bunch like his last go-round here, then I'm all for it. He quietly produced for the team and should be good for hopefully 20 goals at least and 50-60 points.

#224 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

Samuelsson is a diamond in the rough.

2012- Panthers have best season in franchise history
2011- Made cup Finals
2010- 15 pts in 12 playoff games for Van
2009- Cup Finals
2008- Stanley Cup
2007- Conf. FInals

bringit.jpg

#225 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

to the defense of "Sammy to PP" idea, consider two factors:
1. Sammy is absolute master of never ever firing a puck at the net but always past it. even I myself, being absolutely awful shooter, do hit the candy once in a while. not Sammy.
if there were awards for the biggest amount of shots past the goal in an NHL season he'd have as much hardware as Nick or Bobby Orr. give him 4 more years in Winged Wheel and I'd add "together" to this sentence ;)
2. Joe is known for being a place to produce "strange" rebounds which gives the long time home players some significant advantage. especially on PP when those rebound give a fair chance to score some dirty goal...

I mean... it is a big conspiracy theory, notwithstanding, but there is a chance to me that there might actually be much logic in what Sammy does. it is utterly frustrating to watch him fire shots when you're sure it never ever ends up in the net... but at the end of the day you look at the stat sheet and the guy is there. with nice numbers. somehow.

putting him on PP might actually be better idea than some people think. give him a C and LW who can crash the net and our PP might actually become decent...

Edited by akustyk, 03 July 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#226 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sammy may miss more, but he shoots more and is SOOOOO clutch.

I remember going off to my friend during a game about how Sammy never scores and I didn't see why they gave him the puck. As I was saying that, he scored. As I was telling my friend that it was a fluke, he did it again.

Game 1 vs Pittsburgh SCF, 2008. Good times.

#227 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Sammy had 31pts in 54 games last season, he had two seasons prior of 50 points or more, 159 points in 4 season with Detroit...that's 293 points in the last 7 seasons....Hudler only had 219....Mikael is a bit older, but he is better and he makes $1M less... This is a win for Holland...in 2009 Sammy had to leave because of Cap issues, Hudler screwed Holland and then bolted for Russia... Welcome back Sammy, screw you Hudler!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#228 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Welcome back Sammy
IPB Image

#229 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Some good soundbytes from Sammy.

He doesn't exactly seem enamoured with the Canucks, taking a shot at management some nine months after being traded to Florida.
"I didn't think very highly of management, so in that way I didn't mind," Samuelsson said of the trade.

More here:
http://www.faceoff.c...6002/story.html

#230 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

I wonder if he'll use the "bad translation" defence.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#231 Hell Toupee

Hell Toupee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

I wonder if he'll use the "bad translation" defence.

Why would he? When he was left off the roster for the Swedish national team he said “I pretty much have one comment and maybe I’ll regret it. But they can go f*** themselves.” Refreshing.