Photo
- - - - -

Red Wings Sign Mikael Samuelsson to 2-yr, $6m deal (w/full NTC)

mikael samuelsson free agency

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#161 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

This is just a joke on so many levels. 3 mil....for a guy who's been plagued with injury problems.......who's turning 36 this year....who has given no indication he can even manage over 15 goals anymore.....I mean, is this Holland's answer for everyf****** problem? Just to bring back guys we NEEDED to part with in the first place?

We had a major opportunity to make a splash this year, and Holland fails yet again. I'm surprised he signed anyone and didn't just say, "I like our team and I think some of our GR boys are ready".

Fire this guy already....for gods sake FIRE HIM.

Signing Samuelsson has no bearing on whether or not we make a 'big splash', he's merely an addition to this roster; another piece to the puzzle. With Hudler expected to get $4-5 million dollars a year, this is essentially a lateral move to take Happy's place. Personally, I'm okay with this move. We gain another right handed shot and won't have to hope Eaves can round out a PP unit. Plus, as others have mentioned, the guy has a knack for timely goal scoring. In all, I think he'll make a nice 2nd / 3rd line addition as Kenny crafts the 2012-13 roster.

Holland is far from done, though, so it's crazy to me that people look at this on having any bearing on our bigger signings. Then again, I may have different ideas of what I'd like to see out of this off-season.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#162 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Geeze its not like we signed Commodore like last year, lol, granted the money is a bit much, but until this roster is set, people need to calm down. Detroit fans, can be some of the biggest fair weather fans of all major sports. Still a bunch of scenerios left for the Wings that can happen. Damn we could end up with Nash, Parise and Suter and you people would complain about not getting Bobby Ryan too.

I agree completely, I have no idea why everyone is freaking out so much. Off-season is far from over people, its only day.

Posted Image

#163 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

That is the price Kenny paid for us not to see Hudler in Wings uniform anymore. Just think of it that way and it should ease the pain.

Also imagine how pissed off fans would be of that team that signs Hudler for 4mil long term deal. After all our signing are not that bad. Expect something big coming today.

#164 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

I don't understand the freakout here. Samuelsson is not perfect, but he's able to score goals. He's an upgrade on Hudler in many ways: he's not tiny; he's not a terrible skater; he doesn't pass when he should shoot; and he's going to cost a whole lot less.

Canucks fans liked him a lot.

This is just a joke on so many levels. 3 mil....for a guy who's been plagued with injury problems.......who's turning 36 this year....who has given no indication he can even manage over 15 goals anymore.....

Umm... I guess scoring 14 goals in less than 2/3 of a season doesn't qualify, to you, as being able to score more than 15 goals?

I mean, is this Holland's answer for everyf****** problem? Just to bring back guys we NEEDED to part with in the first place?

We had a major opportunity to make a splash this year, and Holland fails yet again. I'm surprised he signed anyone and didn't just say, "I like our team and I think some of our GR boys are ready".

Holland makes one move you don't like, and, despite him still being in the running for Suter and Parise, and despite the reports that Suter is very likely to sign here, you say--because of this ONE move and after ONE day and with the two biggest FAs on the market (and many more) still unsigned--that Holland has absolutely failed to make a splash in this entire offseason. Your rhetoric here is absurd.

Edited by Crymson, 01 July 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#165 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

This is just a joke on so many levels. 3 mil....for a guy who's been plagued with injury problems.......who's turning 36 this year....who has given no indication he can even manage over 15 goals anymore.....I mean, is this Holland's answer for everyf****** problem? Just to bring back guys we NEEDED to part with in the first place?

I remember a lot of us being not too particularly happy when he left the first time.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#166 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

Samuelsson had a ridiculously good playoff run playing with the Sedins, could we put him on the same line with Pavel and Henrik? Has Babs ever tried that (I know it's usually Homer/Cleary/Bert with the euro twins)

bringit.jpg

#167 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

So far I've heard Sammy is Holmstrom's replacement? If so that works for me, even if it's is at this salary, he is one of my most "hated" wings of all time but feel he's a massive upgrade over Holmer at this point in their careers.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#168 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Is it wrong that my first reaction on hearing this was to laugh manically?

Seriously though, he's not that bad, especially as a bottom 6 player. And for everyone moaning about his shooting - just remember he only shot that much because Babcock told him to. Price is a little high though.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#169 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#170 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

People's reactions are priceless. We signed 4 players on July first. One guy was coveted by every NHL team and has serious speed and shooting abilities. One guy was heralded as the next big thing for goalies. One guy is one of the best pests in the league and fights and is a heart and soul guy who just put up 30 points and one guy who is a right handed shot and loves to shoot and will put up 20+ goals. All of these guys were all had for less than 10mil and we've upgraded our team toughness, backup goaltending, speed, and scoring. We still have 15mil plus we can spend and that's not even considering trading any of our players or the 7mil extra we get from the soft cap. And we haven't even signed two of Parise, Semin, Suter, traded for Ryan or Nash yet.

We improved our team and aren't done yet and people are already complaining. How spoiled are you brats?

Go Wings! In Kenny I trust!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#171 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

The only reason to be mad at this signing is if some people wanted us to resign Hudler. You can bank Samuelsson can score 20-30 goals, if he stays healthy. This is a Hudler replacement that we got cheaper than resigning, and imo, is quite an upgrade. Samuelsson is a better skater, playmaker, more physical and stronger than Hudler. These signings today were just taking care of loose ends and Holland did this beautifully. He addressed this team's size and toughness issues while just replacing people. The Wings are set up nicely right now and have options for Parise, trade for Nash or Ryan, and still room to sign another forward. Anyway you look at the Wings will be drastically different next season with a whole new dynamic and I am very excited

#172 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:42 AM

People's reactions are priceless. We signed 4 players on July first. One guy was coveted by every NHL team and has serious speed and shooting abilities.

Yes, he was highly sought after......and yes there's extremely high potential. However, there's no guarantee he will be able to fit in with NHL. Without seeing him step foot into this league, he's a big question mark.

One guy was heralded as the next big thing for goalies.

Come on now. I think it was actually a good signing and he could probably fit in well with his Swedish teammates. That being said, he is remarkably inconsistent with a pretty bad GAA. Still, a solid signing.

One guy is one of the best pests in the league and fights and is a heart and soul guy who just put up 30 points

Heart and soul guy? The same guy with major alcohol and domestic problems? The same guy who was scratched through most of the 2012 playoffs? There is absolutely no place for this loser. And to the idiots spewing, "BUT, BUT, HE ADDS SIZE, GRIT, AND TOUGHNESS!".....no. The guy is 5'9, built small, and adds zero strength to our lineup. Big difference between grit and rat.

and one guy who is a right handed shot and loves to shoot and will put up 20+ goals.

He'll put up 20+ goals, eh? Is that a promise? 36, coming off injury after injury, passed up by TWO teams and......he gets a raise (he was on 2.5m before)? Where's the logic in that? And to the guys pointing to his stats in Vancouver, look a bit deeper. He was playing most of the time on a line with the Sedins or Kesler......OFCOURSE he's gonna wrack up points. I feel this signing is on par with when we brought Williams back and will likely have just as bad a result...maybe even worse considering the NTC.

Just my two cents ;)

Edited by ShanahanMan, 02 July 2012 - 01:44 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#173 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm puzzled by this signing. However, if he serves as Hudler's replacement, I don't mind this. The NTC is bullschit, though.

Ken has to be working on acquiring a big name. There are just too many players on our roster right now, and with it looking less likely that we'll get Parise, it is basically necessary that we make a big trade. Preferably, I'd like to see us get Bobby Ryan. We've got some decent assets in Filppula and Kindl. No way Ryan can come back next year with everything that has gone on lately.

LGW has naturally gone into irrational panic mode, but I think Ken has something up his sleeve.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#174 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

Next will be the announcement that defenseman WEBER is joining the Red Wings! Yannick, not Shea

#175 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

People's reactions are priceless. We signed 4 players on July first. One guy was coveted by every NHL team and has serious speed and shooting abilities. One guy was heralded as the next big thing for goalies. One guy is one of the best pests in the league and fights and is a heart and soul guy who just put up 30 points and one guy who is a right handed shot and loves to shoot and will put up 20+ goals. All of these guys were all had for less than 10mil and we've upgraded our team toughness, backup goaltending, speed, and scoring. We still have 15mil plus we can spend and that's not even considering trading any of our players or the 7mil extra we get from the soft cap. And we haven't even signed two of Parise, Semin, Suter, traded for Ryan or Nash yet.

We improved our team and aren't done yet and people are already complaining. How spoiled are you brats?

Go Wings! In Kenny I trust!

I think that's probably the issue for most.

Signing Monster, Brunner, Tootoo, and Sammy is ok, with perhaps a large side order of meh.

Signing Monster, Brunner, Tootoo, Sammy, Suter, and Parise/Nash/Ryan/etc.? That'd make Kenny a god.

Edited by Dabura, 02 July 2012 - 05:44 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#176 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

I'm keepin my mouth shut on this for the time being. I prefer the Tootoo signing but that's just me. I think Kenny has done a decent thing addressing our needs not great but decent. Whether you like who we have signed or not. *Fingers Crossed* that other signings or moves are to be made...

#177 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Part of me thinks that in Nyquist/Brunner/Tatar we already have guys that could very well be able to replace Hudler for less money than Sammy.

But I'm not criticize this signing until we see how things play out. Adding Sammy does give us even more scoring depth, which could be needed if there is a trade in the works that would for example move Franzen out.

Sammy definitely has his uses. He's getting up there in age so it's a question mark on that level. Can he stay healthy? I always liked Sammy when he was here, but he's older now. Hopefully he'll be motivated to prove himself to the Detroit fans again.

#178 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Part of me thinks that in Nyquist/Brunner/Tatar we already have guys that could very well be able to replace Hudler for less money than Sammy.

But I'm not criticize this signing until we see how things play out. Adding Sammy does give us even more scoring depth, which could be needed if there is a trade in the works that would for example move Franzen out.

Sammy definitely has his uses. He's getting up there in age so it's a question mark on that level. Can he stay healthy? I always liked Sammy when he was here, but he's older now. Hopefully he'll be motivated to prove himself to the Detroit fans again.

It will be a few years before Nyquist and Tatar can score 25 goals a season. Meanwhile we know that Sammy will score at least 20 right off the bat.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#179 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

It will be a few years before Nyquist and Tatar can score 25 goals a season. Meanwhile we know that Sammy will score at least 20 right off the bat.

Well neither of those things are for sure. Give Nyquist/Tatar a full season playing in the top 6 and who knows what they'd produce. They'll never score 20+ goals if they never get a real chance. Nyquist spent way too much time on the 3rd and 4th lines last year. Tatar has looked quite good in GR and was excellent for Slovakia in the latest WHC.

Sammy is of course way more proven, but with his age also comes the question marks of whether he can keep producing like he has, and if he can stay healthy for most of the season.

Like I said, I've always liked Sammy. I was one of the (few) fans that was very sad to see him go a couple of years ago. I hope he does well and justifies the decision to bring him back instead of maybe giving some of the kids a bigger role.

#180 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

In comparison, David Moss signed for $2.1 million and can score just as many goals and has size and uses it (American born player).

Why Sammy over Moss?

Moss has never accrued the same point totals or goal totals that Sammy has. 2 out of 6 seasons, he has amassed 17 and 20 goals, but never more than 39 points (and that was only one season - his one nearly full season (81 games)).

David Moss: 317 NHL Games / 61 Goals / 63 assists / 124 Points / -7
Samuelssos: 669 NHL Games / 148 Goals / 194 Assists / 342 Points / +57

I would say the salary disparity is warranted... You're talking about 900k more for a guy who shoots far more, has a better +/-, and is familiar with the system he is coming into.