424 replies to this topic

#341 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Tootoo won't be on the ice when Zetterberg is. Smith

i think there are several guys who can stand up for their teammates. i think there is one guy who is suddenly much more probable.

there were any number of wings on the ice when shea weber bashed zetterberg's head into the glass over and over.

nobody did anything. it was almost disgusting. shanny would have gone berzerk had somebody done that to yzerman. chelios would have instantly punched somebody.

they left zetterberg out to dry. that should never happen.

Tootoo won't be on the ice when Zetterberg is but Smith will stand up for his teammates would be nice to get a power forward as well

#342 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

i think there are several guys who can stand up for their teammates. i think there is one guy who is suddenly much more probable.

there were any number of wings on the ice when shea weber bashed zetterberg's head into the glass over and over.

nobody did anything. it was almost disgusting. shanny would have gone berzerk had somebody done that to yzerman. chelios would have instantly punched somebody.

they left zetterberg out to dry. that should never happen.

I disagree completely.

This years Wings responded quicker to that hit than the Wings of the late 90's early 00's with Shanny and Co.

Look at when Draper had his face plastered into the dasher by Lemieux. Nobody went after him until the next time Detroit played them at home, over a season later. Slava Koslov was sucker-punched by him in the same series and no Wing said a word to him.

We had to wait 2 days for our retaliation to Weber. I think the difference between those 2 teams is that the late 90's Wings were better fighters than today's Wings.

Tootoo's pay cheque wont be earned with his fists, or by protecting his teammates, he'll be using his speed, his hitting and his offensive skills to improve the amount of time the Wings spend in the offensive zone. I think it was easily the best move the Wings made this off-season.

#343 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

I disagree completely.

This years Wings responded quicker to that hit than the Wings of the late 90's early 00's with Shanny and Co.

Look at when Draper had his face plastered into the dasher by Lemieux. Nobody went after him until the next time Detroit played them at home, over a season later. Slava Koslov was sucker-punched by him in the same series and no Wing said a word to him.

We had to wait 2 days for our retaliation to Weber. I think the difference between those 2 teams is that the late 90's Wings were better fighters than today's Wings.

Tootoo's pay cheque wont be earned with his fists, or by protecting his teammates, he'll be using his speed, his hitting and his offensive skills to improve the amount of time the Wings spend in the offensive zone. I think it was easily the best move the Wings made this off-season.

Well they haven't made that many :tounge:
IPB Image

#344 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

No, the best move they made was letting Hudler go! :yahoo:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#345 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

Just realized that this signing means 2 years from now the wings could have Mitch Callahan and Tootoo on the same line. Wow, wings game will be interesting to watch

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#346 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Just realized that this signing means 2 years from now the wings could have Mitch Callahan and Tootoo on the same line. Wow, wings game will be interesting to watch

No, wait....Callahan - Abdelkader - Tootoo....Hmmmm.....do you think Holland would allow that line? There has to be a 6'2" 135lb. European somewhere that can take one of those spots...

Edited by LeftWinger, 12 July 2012 - 08:17 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#347 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Tootoo really cleaned up his game last year. His past hurts him when it comes to getting the benefit of the doubt with the referees. I'm interested to see if that continues now that he's wearing a different sweater. You'd be hard pressed to find another 4th liner in the league that skates as hard and fast. He won't hesitate to put the puck on net. He won't back down to anyone. His attitude and hard skating is infectious. He a total energy guy that will pick his team up when they need a shot of adrenaline. Not to mention he is just a total pain in the ass to play against. Support this guy and he will thrive.

#348 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Tootoo really cleaned up his game last year. His past hurts him when it comes to getting the benefit of the doubt with the referees. I'm interested to see if that continues now that he's wearing a different sweater. You'd be hard pressed to find another 4th liner in the league that skates as hard and fast. He won't hesitate to put the puck on net. He won't back down to anyone. His attitude and hard skating is infectious. He a total energy guy that will pick his team up when they need a shot of adrenaline. Not to mention he is just a total pain in the ass to play against. Support this guy and he will thrive.

you can just see that whenever he misses a check and the boards rattle. With him comes 100% intensity all the time, in itself should rub off on Abby. With the inclusion of him and Smith full time I think you will see a much more aggressive Abby and Ericcson.
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#349 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Again I love this signing, he just gives it his all out there. He is dog tired at the end of every shift, and for a very good reason. The jump him and Helm would have on the same line would be tremendous.

*edit: They would actually look like a couple pin balls out there, look forward to it!

Edited by 13dangledangle, 17 July 2012 - 03:53 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#350 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

If he comes to play every shift with energy and it leads to turnovers resulting into scoring chances, it will be well worth it...

Edited by Rivalred, 17 July 2012 - 04:33 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#351 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Short and simple. Tootoo is a significant improvement in our 4th line in every way. Toughness, scoring, energy, speed. You name it.

#352 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Short and simple. Tootoo is a significant improvement in our 4th line in every way. Toughness, scoring, energy, speed. You name it.

I hope our penalty kill is good though.

Between him and Bertuzzi we'll have tons of reputation calls.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to with Tootoo well assuming suspensions aren't going to be an issue.

#353 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

...again, I love this signing. Jordin Tootoo is the type of player this team has been missing...and guess what? Unlike the Drake signing where it was a 1 year last hurrah, Jordin is 27, signed for 3 years already PLUS he will probably finish his career here (5 more after this contract maybe?) as most players who come here do. No doubt if Stuart didn't have the family issues, he'd be signed here for a career ending contract. I have a feeling Sammy will end his here as well. It's crazy how all these players can go to teams to "hope" the rebuild takes only a few years...I know Detroit cannot sign ALL the players, but it seems there are two types of players in this league...players that bounce around for the money and players who sign somewhere to win for the rest of their careers...not many teams have the Resume of the Detroit Red Wings when it comes to winning and consistency. There will be certain players who will regret NOT signing in Detroit...but Tootoo will NOT be one of them. He is here til the end of his career, guaranteed. Especially if during his 3 year contract Detroit sniffs a Cup Final or wins a Cup.

Again I say welcome to Hockeytown Jordin! What took you so long?

www.thinkdunes.com

#354 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Only thing I'm not looking forward to with Tootoo well assuming suspensions aren't going to be an issue.

For his style of play and repuation, his PIM numbers are fairly small actually. A good number of those 92 PIMs last year are from fighting and you have to think a lot from roughing as well with another going to the box. Plus when he pisses off the other team he draws a lot of penalties as well.

Of course youre going to get some penalties from this type of player, but when youre getting one of the hardest hitting forwards and one of the toughest pound for pound fighters, that small amount of penalties he takes is worth it in my eyes the next game when he has guys looking over their shoulders and hurrying with the puck

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#355 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

He reminds me of Pat Verbeek lol

#356 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

Tootoo draws more penalties than he takes, that's really all you can ask for from an energy player who agitates the opposition.

#357 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Malts replacement?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#358 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

Tootoo draws more penalties than he takes, that's really all you can ask for from an energy player who agitates the opposition.

Like I said before, he really cleaned his game up last year and it resulted in a lot more PP's for the preds. Tremendous at drawing penalties

#359 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

TOOOOOOOOTOOOOOOOOOO Looks good to me=)

Posted Image

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 18 July 2012 - 12:04 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#360 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

TOOOOOOOOTOOOOOOOOOO Looks good to me=)

Posted Image

:thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides