424 replies to this topic

#141 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ken Daniels, Hockey Prophet!

Edited by Gizmo, 01 July 2012 - 07:42 PM.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#142 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

yeah would have took doan over this guy

Doan will cost a little more than 1.9 but the 1.9 we spent on this guy might mean we can't get Doan or somebody else we might like to in the future.
And he will cut into ice-time for our young guys

Edited by Johnz96, 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#143 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

The way some are reacting you would've thought we either traded for Chris Pronger or went back to 1999 and signed Claude Lemieux

#144 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

fack

Edited by Dabura, 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#145 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

I'm not talking about Tootoo the person. I'm talking about Tootoo the player. And he's a dirty player.

He's bitten guys, thrown cheap hits, and often drops the gloves and starts swinging before the other guy even realizes he's in a fight.

Like I said, my biggest issue is he's a dirty player and not good defensively.

oh yeah 100% agreed with you on that one....he's an agitator it's what he does. At least he'll be doing it for us and he has good locker room presence. Some people are talkin like he's locker room cancer and I don't think he is at all.

#146 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

The way some are reacting you would've thought we either traded for Chris Pronger or went back to 1999 and signed Claude Lemieux

I would be way more excited if the Wings had signed Pronger (at least a pronger from a few years ago).

He's a player who'd sometimes dirty, but is a talented beast of a defenseman. Tootoo is a 4th line plug who gets more noticed for his cheap hits and that stupid whistle.

#147 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Interesting move. I will say this much: Detroit has seen this guy play for years, so he must bring an element they wanted. And frankly, I think his behaviour issues stemmed largely from his addiction problems, which he has been able to overcome. He's come a long way since then, maturity wise.

One thing I am concerned about is that he didn't seem to take kindly to being sat out sometimes in the playoffs, and I'm not sure he'll play every night here, though his salary would suggest he will. That said, he did score 30 points in 77 games this year, so he has the ability to contribute offensively -- more than can be said for many similar kinds of players.

Now Samuelsson...I'm not sure how to rationalize that one...

Hudler Is gone and we need to replace his goal scoring and we got Sammy for cheap. 30 goals at 3 mil is not a bad deal.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#148 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hudler Is gone and we need to replace his goal scoring and we got Sammy for cheap. 30 goals at 3 mil is not a bad deal.

Exactly love what Kenny has done today ... hasn't overpayed and we've upgraded.

Upgraded backup goalie.
Got our 20-30 goal scorer.
Got a hard nosed 4th line grit.

Now we need our #1 defensemen!

#149 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

This signing is interesting and very unexpected.... For those that hate Tootoo, think back to when we signed Chelios. I hated him! He was a dirty player but when he became a Red Wings my hate left pretty quickly, This could be the same type of thing and he will add some of the grit we need.

Edited by The Secret, 02 July 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#150 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

I like tough gritty, players, but Tootoo is one of my most hated players in the league. Also, I'd say he was more effective as a fighter and a pest several years ago.

Furthermore, as others have said, it'll be harder now to get Parise or Suter.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#151 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I don't hate Tootoo, I'm thinking about getting his shirt/jersey... the sad thing is that Tootoo is the "big" player that Kenny was thinking about... What about Sammy?

This is sick - he's better to get Suter sign tomorrow...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#152 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

I don't hate Tootoo, I'm thinking about getting his shirt/jersey... the sad thing is that Tootoo is the "big" player that Kenny was thinking about... What about Sammy?

This is sick - he's better to get Suter sign tomorrow...

We still have ~17 million in cap space, and the big fish are still out there.

Why are people freaking out? The Wings aren't going to go into the season with 17 million in cap space.

#153 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

After this settled in for a bit, I don't hate the Tootoo signing as much as my initial reaction. There was that element of disliking the guy a lot from playing for Nashville for so long, but ultimately I think this is a pretty decent move for the Red Wings.

The Red Wings 4th line was atrocious last season. It had no identity and provided absolutely nothing that you would expect from a typical 4th line. Instead of leftovers and marginal skill players, at least Holland is attempting to build a 4th line that will play hard and ideally bring some energy to the team. Babcock stressed the importance of having a solid bottom-six and now the Red Wings have some players to complement Helm causing damage on the 3rd line.

If Tootoo goes out and forechecks hard, hits and chips in offensively too, this can be a positive signing for the Red Wings. The key is just keeping Tootoo under control and not taking stupid penalties instead. I agree with those that have said Tootoo and Abdelkader together would be a nice combination.

I think ultimately today felt like a disappointment because it didn't include that big name free agent catch. In reality though, the Red Wings addressed two needs in getting a backup goalie and improving the 4th line. The Samuelsson thing -- well, I can't put a positive spin too much on that move yet. Still time for Holland to make a splash through free agency or swinging a trade.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#154 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Tootoo will change a lot of minds when he hits everything that moves on his first shift. I watched him play junior with the Brandon Wheat Kings. He was the fan favorite not because he was dirty, it was because of his work ethic. He is the type of player that will thrive if the fans get behind him. If he is a buddy of Helms then how bad can he be? Just wait.

#155 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

There was no need for Sammy - Why Kenny needs to go after his EX on any occasion?

Sammy sucked 3 years ago - he will suck even more this time!!!!!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#156 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

There was no need for Sammy - Why Kenny needs to go after his EX on any occasion?

Sammy sucked 3 years ago - he will suck even more this time!!!!!

One of the reason Sammy was acquired was to play on the PP point ... like he was being utlized before. Not saying that his good or not but his at least bigger then Huds ...

#157 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

3 years ao he was slow... this time he will be even more exposed as the forward on the point.

We have already Kronwall, White, Smith, Kindl, Quincey... and maybe Suter... do we really need Sammy on the PP?

Hudler replacament is Brunner or Nyquist.......

#158 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

I like this signing. Hard hitter, fast, good energy and Holland said something like "This signing is out of our comfort zone". The guys on NHL radio took that as "We signed you to be the way you were in the WHL, not the way you've been in Nashville". I do remember him being an offensive force in the WHL. He won't be that good in the NHL, obviously, but a hard hitting energy guy that has scoring touch sounds like a somebody that would make us tough to play against in the playoffs.

#159 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, and they wanted Kirk Maltby to score 50 like he did in the minors. Guess what? Tootoo is not the same player that he used to be. Does not play on the edge any more. That's what made him different.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#160 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Read this article and tell me you aren't excited to see what he brings to the table for the next 3 years... Dude was always pest but he was always clean.

http://www.mlive.com...rdin_tooto.html

Welcome to the D! Bring that grit and energy to the 3rd or 4th line.