• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Parise Watch [update x2]: Red Wings OUT of Running

Rate this topic

Parise returns to Minnesota, no decision yet

Posted by: Michael Russo under Wild off-season news Updated: July 3, 2012 - 1:43 PM

Looking nondescript in a black baseball cap and a backpack over his shoulders, Zach Parise arrived back in Minnesota on Tuesday afternoon accompanied by his fiancée Alisha.

As much as Wild fans had hoped, there was no contingent of opened-arm Wild executives awaiting his arrival with a limousine and gargantuan check.

Instead, Parise, one of the most-coveted free agents in NHL history, said he has yet to make a decision as to which team will win the sweepstakes and inherit his services for the next 10 or 12 years.

There’s a lot of things to factor into it and I think that’s why we’re taking our time with the decision,” Parise, the New Jersey Devils captain, said from baggage claim at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. “It’s not something we can just make at 1 o’clock on July 1. It takes time to make sure you consider everything and you’re doing the right thing.”

The teams in the running are believed to be his hometown Wild, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Chicago Blackhawks, the Philadelphia Flyers, the Detroit Red Wings and the team that might be tugging on his heartstrings the most, the Devils, who drafted him in the first round in 2003.

Parise, 27, said he would return to his home his Orono and talk with family, which will likely include his father, former North Stars player and assistant coach J.P. Parise, and his mother, Donna.

But in the end, he said, “It’s a decision my fiancée and I will make together and that plays a lot into it. We just want to go somewhere that we know we’re going to be happy.”

As hard as it is to imagine since his agent, Don Meehan, said a decision could come later in the day Tuesday, Parise says that decision-making hasn’t started.

“We haven’t made a timetable or wanted to make a timetable,” Parise said. “I don’t want to put those types of restrictions on anything. You have to do the right research and it’s a life-changing decision.”

Conspiracy-theorist Wild fans, in suspense and praying he chooses the Wild, have felt there’s no way Parise would return to Minnesota to announce he’s snubbing the hometown team and signing elsewhere.

Told that theory, Parise laughed, saying, “This is where I live. Either way, we’re coming back here.”

Teams interested in Parise are believed to be offering contracts worth $100 million and above. Still, Parise never imagined how “stressful” this decision would be.

“There’s so much more than the money. That plays a very small factor in it,” he said. “My agent’s did a great job. You take the time to consider everything. You consider where you want to be for the next however long and however many years of your life. It’s a harder decision than I thought it was going to be.”

Parise said he will discuss everything with his family.

“I’m excited for it to be over pretty soon,” Parise said.

Edited by StormJH1

Parise returns to Minnesota, no decision yet

Posted by: Michael Russo under Wild off-season news Updated: July 3, 2012 - 1:43 PM

Looking nondescript in a black baseball cap and a backpack over his shoulders, Zach Parise arrived back in Minnesota on Tuesday afternoon accompanied by his fiancée Alisha.

As much as Wild fans had hoped, there was no contingent of opened-arm Wild executives awaiting his arrival with a limousine and gargantuan check.

Instead, Parise, one of the most-coveted free agents in NHL history, said he has yet to make a decision as to which team will win the sweepstakes and inherit his services for the next 10 or 12 years.

There’s a lot of things to factor into it and I think that’s why we’re taking our time with the decision,” Parise, the New Jersey Devils captain, said from baggage claim at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. “It’s not something we can just make at 1 o’clock on July 1. It takes time to make sure you consider everything and you’re doing the right thing.”

The teams in the running are believed to be his hometown Wild, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Chicago Blackhawks, the Philadelphia Flyers, the Detroit Red Wings and the team that might be tugging on his heartstrings the most, the Devils, who drafted him in the first round in 2003.

Parise, 27, said he would return to his home his Orono and talk with family, which will likely include his father, former North Stars player and assistant coach J.P. Parise, and his mother, Donna.

But in the end, he said, “It’s a decision my fiancée and I will make together and that plays a lot into it. We just want to go somewhere that we know we’re going to be happy.”

As hard as it is to imagine since his agent, Don Meehan, said a decision could come later in the day Tuesday, Parise says that decision-making hasn’t started.

“We haven’t made a timetable or wanted to make a timetable,” Parise said. “I don’t want to put those types of restrictions on anything. You have to do the right research and it’s a life-changing decision.”

Conspiracy-theorist Wild fans, in suspense and praying he chooses the Wild, have felt there’s no way Parise would return to Minnesota to announce he’s snubbing the hometown team and signing elsewhere.

Told that theory, Parise laughed, saying, “This is where I live. Either way, we’re coming back here.”

Teams interested in Parise are believed to be offering contracts worth $100 million and above. Still, Parise never imagined how “stressful” this decision would be.

“There’s so much more than the money. That plays a very small factor in it,” he said. “My agent’s did a great job. You take the time to consider everything. You consider where you want to be for the next however long and however many years of your life. It’s a harder decision than I thought it was going to be.”

Parise said he will discuss everything with his family.

“I’m excited for it to be over pretty soon,” Parise said.

Sounds like he won't be deciding anytime soon. Also, the little tidbit about he AND his fiancée want to move somewhere they know they'll be happy........meh, sorry for saying, but you don't meet many women in life who's big dream is to move to Detroit. If he was just deciding on a hockey sense, I'd say we be major in the running....but as a joint decision with his ball n chain, I'd say our goose is cooked.

Concentrate on Suter.

Forgive the following statement I'm sure I'm just frustrated from not hearing anything but what if Parise is doing this on purpose to stay in the spot-light for as long as he can? I know that's a harsh statement and I realize that he has a big decision to make but when was the last time a big-name UFA took this long to decide where he wanted to go. Seems like the last few years most of the best players were gone after day 2. Just Sayin.

Forgive the following statement I'm sure I'm just frustrated from not hearing anything but what if Parise is doing this on purpose to stay in the spot-light for as long as he can? I know that's a harsh statement and I realize that he has a big decision to make but when was the last time a big-name UFA took this long to decide where he wanted to go. Seems like the last few years most of the best players were gone after day 2. Just Sayin.

Radulov or Avery, maybe. Parise? No.

Edited by Dabura

I guess it's possible, but honestly it goes against how Parise has conducted himself as a player for most of his career.

Now with twitter and social media, I think the intensity and frequency of the speculation is higher than it's ever been before.

The longer this goes on the more it looks like Parise (and wife) are just wishy-washy on deciding or are completely not prepared for what they were to expect. The more this drags on, the more he starts to look like a drama queen. Pick a damn team dood!

esteef

Sounds like he won't be deciding anytime soon. Also, the little tidbit about he AND his fiancée want to move somewhere they know they'll be happy........meh, sorry for saying, but you don't meet many women in life who's big dream is to move to Detroit. If he was just deciding on a hockey sense, I'd say we be major in the running....but as a joint decision with his ball n chain, I'd say our goose is cooked.

Concentrate on Suter.

I thought about that also...the girlfriend/fiance is from North Dakota, so that obviously favors here. Then again, they're engaged and he was a hockey player in NEW JERSEY, so I don't think it's fair to blame the fiance. I'm sure if Zach feels strongly enough about any one place, the fiance is not going to intervene, though Minnesota may be more "convenient".

I remember watching the 30 for 30 about Gretzky where Janet Jones Gretzky apparently told Gretzky he should come play for Detroit because "it's a hockey town". Of course, this could be a "made-up" story since all of the Canadian hatred directed at her in '88 assumed that she had lured Wayne to L.A. to further pursue her movie career.

People are going into fits over this whole thing, but even if it takes a week, this all gets forgotten afterwards. It isn't like LeBron where he's calling the ESPN special and planning a pep rally the next day - Parise's a fairly low-key guy. I'm as guilty of overanxiousness as anyone, but the truth is that he should be able to take some time to consider these offers, and it's about 99% because of Twitter that people are so frustrated.

Edited by StormJH1

Concentrate on Suter.

And how many fiances want to live in the coldest major city in the United States? If he chooses the Wild, it's just a bad decision. Who in there right mind would want to play for a team that hasn't made the playoff in like 6 years? Remember, this is like the rest of his career. Given that he is taking his time thinking about all these factors, I don't see him picking the Wild.

In 5, 6 or even 12 years time, these teams could have a completely different make-up. What he really should be considering is who has the best chance to have a good team years from now. Obviously, that will be determined by how good the team management is - GM's, Presidents, owners, coaches, etc, If you think of it in those terms, it's a slam dunk for the Wings.

The only reason that he would chose the Wild would be that (a) he wants to live in Minny and winning is secondary or (b) he thinks that he can be the team's savior and wants all the attention and has convinced himself that he is so great that he could single-handily turn around a franchise.

Remember though, he is taking his time to decide.

I know it's a long shot but there are some players (in all major sports) that just want to have fun playing with good friends/teammates and don't put first emphasis on championships.

Look at the flip side of this....even if they never make the playoffs, these guys will put up great numbers and the blame will fall on other players/management. The worst case scenario is they each make $100 million dollars and play 12 years of hockey with their good friend.

Sure it would piss all of the rest of the hockey world off, but I doubt they care too much. Don't be surprised to see them sign in MIN as a pair (and share a kiss afterwards)

greattttt parise said hed only go to minnesota if suter would go apparenty that means there both going to minnesota

hope we dont go sign carle now for 5 years rather save the money and go stronger for shea weber next year

Michael Russo@Russostrib

RT @StarTribune: The #MnWild agrees to terms with Suter, still working on Parise. http://strib.mn/Mx7VAF

Retweeted by Darren Dreger

loserrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i knew it !